Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On War Service badges

onwarservice

Hi all,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster!

I collect WW1 On War Service badges and associated home front ephemera. I just wondered if any of you did too?

I'd love to post up my collection if there is interest.

Hi all,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster!

I collect WW1 On War Service badges and associated home front ephemera. I just wondered if any of you did too?

I'd love to post up my collection if there is interest.

I have a couple, also a couple of munitions work check tokens.

I for one would be interested to see your pictures.

I have one somewhere in the house. As I recall it has a central shield with three stylised cannons surrounded by a scroll which says "On War Service 1915". It has a crescent moon style stud on the back for fitting into a lapel buttonhole.

Now, here's the thing: it has a serial number stamped into it. Does anybody know what the number signified ?

I recall from a previous enquiry that the numbers were 'issue' numbers to individual workers and that the method of recording was done by the employers, I maybe wrong in this but there was a possibility that badges may have been reissued multiple times as employees resigned and were replaced. Like a lot of numbered badges I don't think there exists any register of numbers/names

khaki

The number on the badge matched the number on a certificate issued to the employee showing that he was in a certified trade. The badge
was not valid unless accompanied by the certificate. This was, of course, to stop fraudulent use of the badge.

TR

I would like to see your collection as this has been my field of interest for the last few years.

The number on he badge matched the number on a certificate issued to the employee showing that he was in a certified trade. The badge

was not valied unless accompanied by the certificate. This was, of course, to stop fraudulent use of the badge.

TR

I have never seen the certificate, can you post a photo of one ?

khaki

This was given to me some time ago and may be of help

http://www.tomtulloch-marshall.co.uk/On_War_Service_Badges.html

It explains some of the confusions about numbers and records.

J.

Thanks for the link, good to have Id for the different styles. I've got two Economy Boys and a Girl.

At least one of my economy style badges has lug and cotter pin fastener rather than the crescent moon mentioned by Stoppage Drill.

Edit: On removing it from its backing for closer inspection it used to have a buttonhole fixing until this was ground away and lugs soldered on instead.

• 8 months later...

Hi

I am also a collector of On War Service badges.  Sadly I've started collecting too late but I've still been able to gather up a few (" I may have too many, but I haven't got enough" as my Dad says).

Always keen to see new examples and I have a few "doubles". Anyone want to trade?:D

• 4 years later...

Here's a photo of the ones I have

Makers Top Row L to R - Mappin & Webb, Woolley & Co, D G Collins, J R Gaunt

Makers Bottom Row L to R - Woolley & Co, J R Gaunt London (Pin), No maker, Firmin London (pin).

DSCN6318.JPG.72395ca5ac4229328e4be59cb84c837b.JPG

Edited by Gunner Bailey

Very nice display John. I have a lot of these upstairs. I will have to get someone to get them out so that you can have a look at them next time you visit Cornwall.

Andy

1 hour ago, Andy A said:

Very nice display John. I have a lot of these upstairs. I will have to get someone to get them out so that you can have a look at them next time you visit Cornwall.

Andy

Hopefully soon. Looking like end of May

A very nice collection!  Here are a few of mine. They are mostly of the "private" issue which became somewhat redundant (illegal?) after 1916.

They may have had a fairly short existence but they didn't half knock them out!

I see the mention of Cornwall in a post. Goran Haven? Mevagissy? Been 35 years ago but I still have great memories of my time there:D!

owsassted.jpg.7f3c06884755277756878cf892980e45.jpg

That's a lovely set of badges. I particularly like the Bayley's Ltd!

Great collection of badges and Ime hoping to see John when he visits in May, Ime about 5 miles north of Looe, not far from Liskeard, Love the place, been here 6 years now and even in my  now somewhat disabled state ime still glad I moved here.

Andy

Hi

Glad you liked them! Here are a few that pursue the "1915" unofficial theme. There are probably some other variants and I have one that is a real little "tiddler" with a pie crust edge! I did try to upload some other files but they may have been too big.

ows1915.JPG.a78b351cdfcf5d3e75ff315e4f1625e6.JPG