Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Baxter VC Memorial

b3aver

Hi all. Sorry if i'm in the wrong area of forum but first attempt to participate since my recent retirement. I recently started living in Rivière, near Arras, France.

I am researching some local history regarding the area during the Great War and stumbled across the story of Edward Baxter VC. of 1/8th Kings Liverpool Rgt. (55th W. Lancs div.)

It is a fascinating story of his bravery, acting as bombing officer and leading a trench raiding party over two consecutive nights in April 1916, to attack front line trenches at Blairville, to gather information prior to the Somme offensive.

The raid was the first involvement by the regiment in the area and received great acclaim from commanders (1VC, 1 DCM and 3 MM's!)

I noticed that he doesn't have much of a mention in books on VC winners, in the main due to it being outside the more well known written about battles such as the Somme, Arras, Paschendaele etc.

He has no grave or monument locally either.(he was buried by the Germans in a village nearby but moved after the war to Fillievres CWGC cemetery some distance away.)

I am therefore in the process of seeking permission to have his bravery recognised by erecting a memorial in the village,in the vicinity of the trench attack that cost him his life.

I have located the area from his unit war diaries and trench maps, I have spoken with the land owner and have arranged to meet with the local Maire, both of whom seem quite positive about the idea.

I have also been in contact with the French association, Souvenir Français who are very interested, and have contacted the CWCG. I have been in touch with the Liverpool Museum to let them know about the project but am awaiting a reply.

If successful with permission to go ahead, I shall then seek to raise funds for the project.

I wondered if anyone would be interested in my work on this project or if any members have any information of descendants.(I know that he was survived by his daughter but she died aged 37 unmarried.)

It's still in the planning stages but needs to be sorted in time for the anniversary in April 2016. I am confident of aquiring half funding from souvenir francais but have to decide on size and type of memorial. Other arrangement costs for such event.This will probably end up being a simple wall plaque, because if I have to end up paying for it myself then limititations obviously apply!

Can anyone offer sensible suggestions or has any one done a similar project?

I look forward to hearing from anyone particularly with information or contact details of any distant relatives. Many thanks in anticipation. David. Links to more info. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Felix_Baxter http://www.merseysiderollofhonour.co.uk/obits/trenchraid.htm

I estimate perhaps £300 but it depends on material & how much information of course. I would prefer french/English translations and a VC emblem as minimum though.

Thanks.

There is a four-page account of Baxter's life, including his VC exploit, in Book 2 of 'Liverpool Heroes' the stories of 18 Liverpool holders of the VC, edited by Ann Clayton, researched by Bill Sergeant and the late Sid Lindsay.

Daggers

Quite by chance, I started this thread recently.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=232593&hl=baxter

No help, but interested me.

He merits several pages (in two different sections) in Paul Oldfield's April 1915 - June 1916 volume in his excellent Victoria Crosses on the Western Front series. The entry includes a very useful sketch map and clear instructions as to finding the location of the action(s). One could also visit the VC sites of James Hutchinson, 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers (28 June) and Arthur Procter, 1/5th King's (4 June), both within a mile or so of Baxter's action.

This will probably end up being a simple wall plaque, because if I have to end up paying for it myself then limititations obviously apply!

Contact the Regimental association for the successor unit as they may want to contribute/be present at the unveiling. I am also sure once the plans are firmed up and approved, some GWF Pals would willingly make small donations to the costs.

Good luck with it.

Also I would like to endorse Nigel Cave's comment regarding Paul Oldfield's VC volumes - excellent work by the author.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Many thanks for all of your useful comments. I shall reply in depth soon but have had to depart for uk as daughter has just gone to hospital for emergency op. All well, but priorities!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

As one of Edward's only living relatives I look forward to aiding you in erecting a memorial to Baxter. The museum I volunteer for has just put up a local memorial for two airmen killed during flight testing - I'm happy to enquire about how those who organised it went about costs/types of memorials.

I was aiming on coming over to France to place a wreath on Edward's grave next April (obviously being the centenary since his death) but I would be happy to support you in this endeavour where deemed fit.

Regards,

Tim

The successor unit to Edward's 1/8 Liverpool Irish Battalion are the "A" Liverpool Irish Troop, 103 Regiment. They are part of the 208 3rd West Lancashire Battery stationed near St Helens.

The Kings Liverpool Regiment however is now the Duke of Lancaster's regiment with HQ based at Preston.

Tim

Won't let me edit my previous postings - there's also a few pages and a dramatic painting of Edward during the raid within 'Deeds That Thrilled the Empire' volume 2 I believe. I'll double check, I'm quite sure it's that book.

Tim,any assistance would be appreciated.I have notified Lancaster rgt association and RBL biker section and many others from isle of man tt to Dudley council/Liverpool council! I Want to try to gauge the interest level before aiming too high.There appears to be plenty of it but It's difficult to raise funds without an official charity.I do some work with a memorial trust and have just written asking to be adopted as a project,others have so far refused for various reasons.I'd prefer to use a charity than have to deal with all the necessary legal issues associated with fundraising personally. As for monument type, it obviously depends on cost. Many options from stone memorial to metal plaque I have also seen a nice bench being produced with backrest of WW1 theme, I contacted the manufacturers and they can adapt to suit, they also produce a nice lecturn to place info board on.If you want to call me to chat just message and I'll give you my details.

P.s.

Meeting Maire on Monday evening.

Sounds like you've certainly got it planned out David, I'm happy to help where necessary. Have Liverpool Council managed to get back to you, or? It may be worth contacting Hartlebury Grammar School and Christ's Hospital, London where Edward is an ex-alumni. Stourbridge are apparently commemorating Edward with a plaque outside the home where he was born, but haven't heard anything since as the news article is from early 2014. It reads further to say that the stones will be laid over the next 4 years, 2014-18.

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/local/your_community/kl/lye/11178791.Stourbridge_VC_winners_to_be_honoured_with_commemorative_paving_stones/

I'll PM you now David and look forward to talking. I will further the details of this onto the rest of the family.

Tim

One of the people involved in the Sun campaign Honour Our VC Heroes

emily.ashton@the-sun.co.uk

Have you thought about Lord Ashcroft? http://www.lordashcroftmedals.com/collection/

Not an instruction, as sometimes the advantages of a powerful media savvy person can overwhelm things, but just a suggestion

I know he bought Edward's VC after my great-aunt or the Baxter family put it up for sale. It's housed in IWM North at Manchester along with several of his possessions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Latest update on my campaign.

Facebook page created. search it out on FB with this:-

Lt Edward Felix Baxter VC Memorial Project.

Web page up and running:

http://www.baxtervc.wix.com/baxtervc

Look forward to your comments.

This mans story is one of those that has been overlooked for too long, for one reason or another.

Help me to bring his exploits back into the news, 100 years after he posthumously received our nations highest award. Please share, and consider a donation, let's give Edward Felix Baxter VC the recognition he deserves.

I now have an itinerary for the ceremony, memorial plaque design is created and waiting for quotes. Events in France are proceeding well with letters sent to Mayors of neighbouring villages, Church and chaplains & schoolchildren choir requests have been made.

Representation by local and regional dignitaries, flag-bearers are expected.

Lots of emails and letters sent out last week seeking more funding and trying to highlight the campaign.

Ceremony booklet is almost finished ( bilingual of course!)

Thanks for the continued support, please share this campaign information with as many people as you can.

Regards, David.

Latest update on my campaign.

Facebook page created. search it out on FB with this:-

Lt Edward Felix Baxter VC Memorial Project.

Web page up and running:

http://www.baxtervc.wix.com/baxtervc

Look forward to your comments.

This mans story is one of those that has been overlooked for too long, for one reason or another.

Help me to bring his exploits back into the news, 100 years after he posthumously received our nations highest award. Please share, and consider a donation, let's give Edward Felix Baxter VC the recognition he deserves.

I now have an itinerary for the ceremony, memorial plaque design is created and waiting for quotes. Events in France are proceeding well with letters sent to Mayors of neighbouring villages, Church and chaplains & schoolchildren choir requests have been made.

Representation by local and regional dignitaries, flag-bearers are expected.

Lots of emails and letters sent out last week seeking more funding and trying to highlight the campaign.

Ceremony booklet is almost finished ( bilingual of course!)

Thanks for the continued support, please share this campaign information with as many people as you can.

Regards, David.

Well done, David. More power to your elbow.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently writing to IWM North and Spink's Auction house to pass on letter's to the incumbent of Baxter's documents, photographs, letters, medals and so forth so they are aware of the project. The IWM hold a photograph and a document regarding the donation of the VC to the Museum via Lord Ashcroft, in presence with my great-great aunt Leonora Mary Cornish, who by then was aged 100. Keep up the good work David...

Many thanks Tim, hope we can do them all proud. Looking forward to hearing more news as the project is now in full swing. A good turn out and representation from home would be great on the day.

David.

Hello d178169h,

I will PM you with the contact details for Bill Sergeant that Daggers references in #4

Bill is an expert on the Liverpool VC's and on memorials having been at the forefront of many including the Liverpool Pals Memorial.

I am sure that he would be interested and could offer some advice

KB :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Please can members keep on topic and not digress into matters that are irrelevant to the subject, however deeply felt.

Keith Roberts