Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. G.E.Harris R.West Kent Regt. war memorial photo

coopal11

Hello everyone.

I would like to get a photo of a war memorial that 2nd Lt. G.E.Harris of the R.W.Kent Regt is named on.

He died in ''Beclands'', Tooting Bec Gardens, Streatham, London SW16 on 25/02/1922. I assume Beclands was a nursing home/hospital of sorts.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can provide a picture of a memorial and/or any information about ''Beclands''.

Thank you.

Alan.

There's a 1925 advert for a cook wanted for a nursing home. Apply Mrs Sharpe, Beclands, Tooting Bec Gardens.

I suspect it was a guest house on the 1901 census, and was at 15 Tooting Bec Gardens.

I think the man whose memorial we are looking for is George Edwin Harris.

Died March Quarter 1922. Wandsworth R. D. Age 46.

File in WO 339/110985

Relinquishes his commission on completion of service 1st Sept 1921. (LG entry)

Phil

Would 2nd Lt. G.E.Harris be included on any war memorial as he died in 1922

after the end of hostilities ?

I would think not

regards Ray

I think the man whose memorial we are looking for is George Edwin Harris.

Died March Quarter 1922. Wandsworth R. D. Age 46.

File in WO 339/110985

Relinquishes his commission on completion of service 1st Sept 1921. (LG entry)

Phil

Thanks for your reply Phil. Now i'm really confused. I looked at his medal entitlement - WO 372_9_38460 and this says he was discharged 30-10-17. I'm new to research so maybe i'm approaching it from the wrong angle. Thanks again for your help. Best wishes. Alan.

What is the memorial called?

Hello Johnboy.

No idea. I'm hoping someone with local knowledge might be able to help. I'm new to research and i get the impression that people who died as a result of wounds etc post 1918 although entitled to receive a plaque did not always get onto a memorial. George is not recognised by the CWGC. Best wishes. Alan.

There's a 1925 advert for a cook wanted for a nursing home. Apply Mrs Sharpe, Beclands, Tooting Bec Gardens.

I suspect it was a guest house on the 1901 census, and was at 15 Tooting Bec Gardens.

Many thanks for your reply. This is starting to make sense. I have been told his home address was also in Streatham so i'm guessing he was in a nursing home recovering from injuries. Thanks for your help. Alan.

Sorry. I read your first post as you had seen his name on a memorial and wanted a pic of it.

As has been said, if he died in 1922 it is unlikely that he was on a memorial.

so i'm guessing he was in a nursing home recovering from injuries. Thanks for your help. Alan.

What makes you think he was wounded?

Would 2nd Lt. G.E.Harris be included on any war memorial as he died in 1922

after the end of hostilities ?

I would think not

regards Ray

Hello Ray. Thanks for your reply. I don't know. his next-of-kin received a plaque so i assumed he would be. (I'm new to research so don't know these things). Best wishes. Alan.

so i'm guessing he was in a nursing home recovering from injuries. Thanks for your help. Alan.

What makes you think he was wounded?

I have his casualty plaque so he died, if not of wounds, of ill-heath of some sort.

Bronze death plaques like the one shown here were sent to the next of kin of every commonwealth man or woman who lost their lives as a result of Great War service. The plaques were also sometimes known as the 'Soldiers Penny', or the 'Dead Man's Penny'. For Home Establishments, Western Europe and the dominions the qualifying dates were from the 4th August 1914 until the 10th January 1920 . For other theatres of war, and for those who died subsequently from attributable causes the qualifying date was 30th April 1920.

It looks like the cut off date was 30th April 1920. If the man being referred to died 1922 it seems unlikely the plaque is his. Are you related to the man?

April 7th Trenches E. BOUZINCOURT Beyond intermittent shelling of back areas the day passed quietly. Front line shelled during afternoon. Casualties 2 O. Rs killed 6 O.Rs. wounded. 2nd. Lieut. G. E. Harris wounded. Patrols sent out at night but no enemy encountered.

From 6 Bttn war diary 1918.

George Edwin Harris

First served as Pte Dm2 / 154568 Army Service Corps

Discharged from the Army Service Corps on the 30/10/17 having been granted a commission into the Queens Own (West Kent) Regiment

his MIC shows the address 70 Riggindale Road Streatham SW 16 (his home address or the address the medals were to be sent to)

As Officers medals had to be applied for its possible that his next of kin applied for his medals after his death ( Informing the authorities that he had died )

The medals sent out along with a death penny, although he would not have been officially entitled to receive one ( having died in 1922) under the rules

These anomalies sometimes occurred

The CWGC register list five G E Harris's who perished in the Great war !

regards Ray

I can't look now, but doesn't that Riggindale Road address belong to his sister's family, where he was living in 1911?

Correct

living with his sister Francis her husband Ernest Cooke and their family at 70 Riggindale Road in 1911

employed as a Railway Clerk

Ray

Looking at his MIC and the Rolls, he appears to have applied for the medals himself and they were issued in November 1921 (i.e. prior to his death).

Phil

Looking at his MIC and the Rolls, he appears to have applied for the medals himself and they were issued in November 1921 (i.e. prior to his death).

Phil

Agreed

Spoilt my theory though

Which poses the question why was a death plaque issued If the man died in 1922

Ray

An admin error or the plaque is for a different man. Maybe the OP will be back with a bit more info?

Hello and a big thank you to everyone who has responded to my question.

I am certain the medals and death penny are to the same man because the are housed in a 1920's style bronze frame. I have owned them for over 40 years and when i purchased them antique shops/junk shops couldn't give them away so i see no reason for anyone to go to the expense of faking it.

• 3 months later...

A quick update:

George died at Beclands on 25th Feb 1922 of (1) Shrapnel wound causing Haemothorax, 3 years 10months. (2) Pulmonary embolism, 1 hour.

In March 1922, when the War Office wrote, requesting details for his plaque, his mother was still living at 70 Riggindale Road, Streatham (as was Ernest Cooke).

It looks like he was wounded during the first week of April 1918, as he returned to England on the 11th April, suffering with shell wounds to the back and arms. Sent to 2nd Western General Hospital, Manchester. Transferred to West Norwood Hospital on 31st May 1918.

Although he was released from the Army 11/6/19, there appears to have been a mix up and he was not Gazetted until September 1921.

Phil