Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 German Mauser Gewehr 98 : which one?

flers1916

Since I collect gew98's I feel a wee bit obligated to some input here. "Neutered" rifles are more or less paperweights and that's what most goobermints want. Anyhow that being said the collecting of german rifles is rife with fraud and market speculation. There was a time .. a mere decade ago when you could find a decent matching gew98 for under $500 often. Now that nazi era rifles have been throughly flogged and frauded to where the values are inflated on a generally silly level gew98's have now followed.

The main thing to look for is obviously condition. Wood not boinkered with , metal not refinished . The german depot system was very active in small arms salvage in the great war from fairly early on . Hence renumbered crudely to expertly period done can be found as well as fairly mismatch peiced together. If you just want something to hang on a wall or gunrack even a spanish civil war or turked with gew98 will do I would think.

An honest intact gew98 is not rare excepting certain maker/date combinations. To take one and have it rendered a tomato stake just to "collect'...bad karma. Keep it as it was made or buy one already neutered , much like any great war rifle methinks.

It is understandable on this forum why "bayonets & pointy things" as a topic are so common due to laws just or unjust in various countries. Makes for some great bayonet related reading...and some not so much. As many gew98's that ended up in turkey it's sad to hear turkish laws are so draconian on such old rifles.... but we live in times with massive muslim people movement and that insanity of radical islam. Oh well I digress a good bit. You find a gew98 post it's particulars and collectors like myself will help you through it all regardless of the "insanity" .

Am I a goobermint then? Bearing in mind my previous comments?

T Goober T

trenchtrotter,

After very limited research I can't find a definition for "goobermint". However, it does seem to be used by some as an alternative for "government". If I am correct I'm afraid you don't qualify.

Regards,

Michael.

Ah thanks for that! How sad was so hoping to be one?

T not a goober T

Nice looking rifle, how does it shoot?

Mike.

Very well as it goes.

A little high, as you know given the minimum on the Roller coaster sight being 400mtr's

Danzig production, group's well. Just got to get a good reload/powder measure.

Very well as it goes.

A little high, as you know given the minimum on the Roller coaster sight being 400mtr's

Have you tried the "box" sight picture method when shooting your gewehr ?. It works wonders on preventing way high "over the berm" type shots. Works well on 91 carcano rifles as well.

Very well as it goes.

As an aside I have a couple old Marble's caliber converters that allow a 32ACP round to be snapped into the front portion of the adaptor and loaded in the magazine and chambered like a typical 7,92 round. I have a particular Amberg 1917 that shoots these little pills with the adaptor like a dream. Alot of fun picking off beer can zombies at various ranges out to 100 yards.

trenchtrotter,

After very limited research I can't find a definition for "goobermint". However, it does seem to be used by some as an alternative for "government". If I am correct I'm afraid you don't qualify.

Regards,

Michael.

Mike ; quite correct. Goobermint = is the crap we are ruled by...loaded with worthless apparatchniks fueled by corruption and greed and steered by laywers satan himself would hire had he had need of one.