The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Contents of the Cupboard

Khaki

Further cupboard contents,

bits and pieces all

attachicon.gif0910151102.jpg

khaki

Very interested to see the Old Contemptible's Association branch standard finial in there. Do you know which branch it came from?

Very interested to see the Old Contemptible's Association branch standard finial in there. Do you know which branch it came from?

Yes, I saw that too and was about to ask the same question. . My GF was an O.C (19th Hussars)

This is in our cupboard ...not really, I wish we had the room!

I think it's great you've managed to save the finial at least.

post-9980-0-25000000-1443023384_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Here's something from the cupboard that I found while I was searching for something else, I don't know how rare or common it is, but I suspect reasonably common. I find the illustrations amusing.

post-29707-0-37375200-1445009551_thumb.j post-29707-0-55704400-1445009587_thumb.j

post-29707-0-87866400-1445009651_thumb.j post-29707-0-34295500-1445009690_thumb.j

khaki

I should have mentioned it is made of cotton, measures about 18 inches square, what looks like a small hole in the photo (scared me) mothphobia, is actually part of the design.

khaki

Here's one of those poignant items that silently measure some of the suffering of the Great War. It's the travel documents of a young girl (war orphan) being sent to live with a German family in Zurich. (1920)

You can imagine her at a train station wearing her number around her neck, perhaps clutching a favourite doll and a small travel bag. I know its not a scene unique to Germany, but I hope she had a happy life,

khaki

post-29707-0-11578000-1445396578_thumb.j

Excellent items, Khaki. I can imagine the cloth being thrown over a handy box for a table and a quick game being played when the opportunity arose and bundled away into a pocket when an officer approached. Are there two holes side by side? Either way it suggests a drawstring might have been used with the counters placed in the centre, perhaps gathered up into the shape of a bag for ease of transporting, and tied off with a string?

Very poignant for the war orphan/evacuee. She'd already lost pretty much everything and the future must have been terrifying for her. The card reminds me of the ICRC Prisoner of War record cards.

Thanks Andy,

No sign on the draught board of a draw string, but I can imagine the scene you described. I am guessing that in the absence of pieces, that buttons German/British might have been used as a substitute

khaki

Slightly of topic. I've worked with a number of different types of wood. What is poplar like to work with, I've often wondered? I know French joiners used it, but never come across it the UK.

Hello Dave,

The poplar that I used was relatively short pieces, about three feet long, I had no trouble with it, it cut & sanded well, no warping, glued, drilled and nailed ok.

khaki

here is another Canadian piece that I really like, purchased directly from the family, contents are original to the soldier user. they are his pipe, hand made pipe bowl cleaner, two cigarette holders (handmade?) ,simple cigarette roller, his straight razor in container. A well used item, slightly grubby from use but that's the way I like it.

khaki

post-29707-0-04309400-1445446194_thumb.j

Thanks Andy,

No sign on the draught board of a draw string, but I can imagine the scene you described. I am guessing that in the absence of pieces, that buttons German/British might have been used as a substitute

khaki

I imagine a seaman would have a short piece of rope passing through the hole with a blood knot to act as a stopper, then he would take up the four corners with the 'counters/buttons' inside and wind the rope around the neck, a quick clove hitch to stop it coming undone and sling it in his kitbag.

I have quite a good imagination...

I imagine a seaman would have a short piece of rope passing through the hole with a blood knot to act as a stopper, then he would take up the four corners with the 'counters/buttons' inside and wind the rope around the neck, a quick clove hitch to stop it coming undone and sling it in his kitbag.

I have quite a good imagination...

Imagination worthy of a good seafaring novel

khaki :thumbsup:

I really like to see these other items of ephemera you have shown Khaki, great items. The cloth drafts board is very cool, not seen one of these before though I have one of the Crown and anchor boards in cloth which are quite common I think.

I really like to see these other items of ephemera you have shown Khaki, great items. The cloth drafts board is very cool, not seen one of these before though I have one of the Crown and anchor boards in cloth which are quite common I think.

Glad you enjoy them jerry,

I do havea small folding combination chess/draught board made entirely of cardboard it is definitely GW and had the owners name etc penciled on it. I was looking for it the other day at the same time as I located the cotton one. I will post it for you as soon as it turns up.

regards

khaki

Have you read 'Pull up a Sandbag'? There's quite a few great tales in it. :w00t:

Thanks Andy, that looks an interesting book, I will put it on my Amazon 'wish list'.

regards

khaki

• 2 weeks later...

Unusual cavalry item, personal policy with the Army, Naval & General Assurance Association Limited to a British Captain dated 1915 and KIA 1918. The sum of 250 pounds and two pounds per annum premium.

khaki

post-29707-0-16072000-1446678136_thumb.j

What a great collection Khaki, i too have a small collection of medals mostly to the Royal Highlanders but also some Boer war medals, do you find it difficult locating and buying british medals in the U.S

p.s I'm English but now live in Georgia

regards

david

Semper Fidelis

Hello David,

Thank you for your reply and comments, surprisingly enough, there seems to be an adequate supply of British medals including decorations with a wide range of campaign medals and groups.

regards

khaki

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried over the years to buy what I considered as different or unusual,

I've done the same. While I do have some special interests, I also can't resist unusual stuff... cyclists, South African mounted infantry, etc.

I've done the same. While I do have some special interests, I also can't resist unusual stuff... cyclists, South African mounted infantry, etc.

Thanks for the reply Rob,

I would enjoy seeing some of your unusual stuff, if you would be so kind as to post it.

khaki