Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Contents of the Cupboard

Khaki

nice collection - any regiment / service in particular?

Thanks Coldstreamer,

A wide selection of regiments/units, I have tried over the years to buy what I considered as different or unusual, so that there are groups for Red Cross & Order of St John as well as line regiments Royal Marines with LS & GC, or decorations, foreign medals CDG France or Belgium, ambulance units or GW trios that include (named) WW2 home guard medals. Multi generational groups are my favourite but are hard to find. Also naval trio to KIA. (Jutland).

khaki

Why is it when I open my Cupboards, all I find are cup?? I have most of my WWI medals in a map cabinet. I like it mainly because the medals lay flat. I can either mount them, or leave them loose. I like options.

Any Canadian groups in that beautiful selection?

Hello Pylon,

I don't think that there are any Canadian groups, but 'you never know', my future cataloging project will reveal what I have forgotten years ago. There are many interesting groups there, but I think that my favorite is a three generation collection. I was first shown a mint boxed pair in their original mail envelopes, they were named to a GW British soldier with a French family name, the second single box was his fathers who served in a regiment of Zouaves French army in the Franco-Prussian war, the box contained the large silver F-P medal again unworn and it came with his named diploma for the campaign. The third box was named in old handwritten script 'Grandfathers' and it contained the St Helena medal. I managed to contact the family's last survivor who was totally blind but she told me that following the F-P war the family had crossed to live in England where the Grandson had joined the British Army in WW1. The collection had been in the care of her elderly brother who had died recently and had passed to an antique dealer who handled the estate sale. I was just glad that I managed to get to it before it was broken up.

khaki

From the cupboard collection, CBE, Great War pair, WW2, Coronation medals and Dunkirk medal all named* to Officer with Dunkirk certificate. (*except CBE/Dunkirk)

post-29707-0-99048700-1441842268_thumb.j

khaki

Despite the medal shelves appearing steep, I angled them to eliminate any stress on old ribbons, I made the shelves out of poplar (my GW tribute to the long roads of F&F) and attached a foot to the bottom so that the medal rests on it. The concealed top portion has a strip (also concealed) of velcro which in turn attaches to a smaller piece again concealed behind the medals. The medal Velcro is attached to a folded metal or solid plastic strip I designed through which travels the brooch pin etc, so at no time does any adhesive or other foreign object adhere to the medal or ribbon.

Sorry to bore you with details,

khaki

khaki

That is some collection and some cupboard; an absolute labour of love. I am impressed with your attention to detail, not boring at all.

Pete.

Despite the medal shelves appearing steep, I angled them to eliminate any stress on old ribbons, I made the shelves out of poplar (my GW tribute to the long roads of F&F) and attached a foot to the bottom so that the medal rests on it. The concealed top portion has a strip (also concealed) of velcro which in turn attaches to a smaller piece again concealed behind the medals. The medal Velcro is attached to a folded metal or solid plastic strip I designed through which travels the brooch pin etc, so at no time does any adhesive or other foreign object adhere to the medal or ribbon.

Sorry to bore you with details,

khaki

Certainly not boring at all. I like to know how others display their collections etc. You have some fantastic groups there for sure. Thus far, I have managed to stay pretty much to my theme of C.E.F. medals. However, I have strayed a bit here and there. My Map cabinet has 5 drawers measuring about 47 inches X 30 inches or so. Darned thing weights over 250 pounds empty. It is heavy, and pretty ugle at the moment, but it does the job I need it to do. My wife would flip if I tried to take anymore wall space.

Excellent contents in your cupboard Khaki, very impressive. I have few medals, nearly all to Welsh units or Welshmen.

Great displays, khaki.

Is the whole room dedicated to your collection displays? Any chance of a pan shot?

Mike

Thanks Mike,

The room is what used to be called a library, a study then a den and these days a man cave, yes you could say that it is a dedicated room, I have decorated it in a way I feel satisfied with. Furniture has been moved in, moved out, and what remains has been rearranged constantly, the library has been dispersed throughout other rooms with only reference books remaining at hand.

I am a rotten photographer (which is apparent) and the room has no natural light which gives a nasty yellow tint to my shots, a pan shot would be ideal but is beyond the ability of my old cellphone I can't zoom or pan. Some things that I attempt turn out not too bad but a lot tend to become just a silhouette.

regards

khaki

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Khaki

This is some medal collection, very impressed. Love the way you have presented it. I would imagine that you never struggle to find the time to look at it. Makes my collection of my family name look quite small, unfortunately not any of my grandfathers or his three brothers who all fought in the war and all returned. Their medals went outside the family I think years ago. I do enjoy finding out about the family of the men whose medals I have collected though, find it interesting and also seems to keep it all alive and that individual is remembered.

Well done

Regards

Mike

Fantastic collection and a labor of love made to display same

well done

regards

Bob R.

Many thanks Bob and Mike, glad you enjoyed them, here's one ( there are others) waiting to find a place in the 'cupboard'. I am in the throes of cupboard #2.

khaki

post-29707-0-94518300-1442953829_thumb.j