Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Operations France And Belgium online

Skipman

I've seen Gallipoli and NorthWest Frontier on the same site. But I came accross them by chance when using a search keyword Casualty List !! I couldn't find them directly. (sounds a bit like ancestry?)

These are excellent, except they are not searchable, great pity.

What an amazing site. Please carry on searching!

Thanks, John

The whole site is worth exploring just to see the sheer range of information available. It puts British institutions to shame.

One catalogue entry made me smile - "The Dictonary of Spelling."

TR

The site isn't the best for searching but the sheer quantity of records does put most other attempts to shame.

Craig

Thanks Mike, a great find and much appreciated.

Pete.

These are excellent, except they are not searchable, great pity.

Kindle format is searchable. I've converted pdf documents to Kindle format before (amazon charge a small fee) as although you can read pdf documents on a Kindle, you don't seem to get full compatibility (e.g the old Michelin guides don't read particularly well). Hopefully they would then be searchable. I was contemplating doing this from the Indian site with some of the volumes I'm most interested in.

Steve

Searching 'keyword' and 'all of DLI' and putting in say Military Operations Gallipoli does bring up Vol i and Vol i maps but slots in Ian Hamilton's Gallipoli Diary between these. Is there a cleverer way of searching or could I be suffering having an old version of windows etc?

Thanks Mike, a great find and much appreciated.

Pete.

Pete, credit is also due to Maureene who pointed out the website. It is 'something else'

Charlie962, I think it's just a case of trying variations. Less is more. Try keywords, for example, Mesopotamia, Haig, Vickers, anything really. Also try authors, etc etc

Kindle format is searchable. I've converted pdf documents to Kindle format before (amazon charge a small fee) as although you can read pdf documents on a Kindle, you don't seem to get full compatibility (e.g the old Michelin guides don't read particularly well). Hopefully they would then be searchable. I was contemplating doing this from the Indian site with some of the volumes I'm most interested in.

Steve

Have you tried to do it? I have tried in word, free pdf converter, and open office. It is set up not to be opened in other applications.

I have played around with various keywords and as you say it just seems to be a long slog of scrolling through the pages. No groupings such as Great War as one finds in Archive.org or Gutenberg .

Australian Imperial Force does bring up some interesting volumes but maybe these are easily available down under already.

Bleedin typical - it took me months to get a copy of AO17 of 1919 (war gratuities) and now I find a full copy in the Indian Army Order for 1919.

The orders are very interesting, from the provision of 'cooks whites' to postage stamps for magistrates it seems little got done without an official order.

Craig

Have you tried to do it? I have tried in word, free pdf converter, and open office. It is set up not to be opened in other applications.

Just tried to convert the Transportation OH but the file is bigger than the Kindle limit of 50Mb. Normally that's not an issue as I normally just compress the file but the compression software I normally use doesn't work. I've sent one of the smaller OH Appendices files (under 25Mb) and am awaiting receipt of the Kindle format to see whether that has worked, I'll keep you updated.

The first two volumes are also available on Archive,org with a number of different download options

Volume I August-October 1914

https://archive.org/details/militaryoperatio01edmouoft 1922 edition

https://archive.org/details/3edmilitaryopera01edmouoft Revised text 1937 edition

Volume II October-November 1914

https://archive.org/details/3edmilitaryopera02edmouoft 1925

Regarding searching on the Digital Library of India website, I don't know why Searching is so difficult on the new site. I think it is better on the old site, which is still operating. The old site however, does not give a direct link to all the pdfs, although it does for some. One odd feature with the Search on the old site was that different browsers could give you different search results. I don't know whether that still applies.

Beware of spelling errors in the catalogue-the book you want may not show up in the search because it is recorded as something different, or perhaps a word has been omitted from the title all together, As an example, a recent post I made about the book ''The Royal Army Service Corps" was catalogued as Royal Army Corps, Volume I, [service was omitted] and it was in fact Volume II.

All the Indian Army Lists which have been added recently have been scanned from books of the Library of the United Service Institution of India. I'm hoping that there may be some more books which become available from this source. Prior to this there were only limited military history books.

Cheers

Maureen

Just an update, Amazon/Kindle haven't been able to convert the pdf I sent to Kindle format. It is accepted and is then downloadable as if it has been converted but the file doesn't open (and is only 2 pages long)

Just an update, Amazon/Kindle haven't been able to convert the pdf I sent to Kindle format. It is accepted and is then downloadable as if it has been converted but the file doesn't open (and is only 2 pages long)

Sorry to hear that, It confirms the setting in the scanned PDF which prevents it. I will investigate further.

I just found that myself a minute ago Craig Click

Mike

Thanks Mike - very handy. Mainly Indian but enough British Army things to keep it interesting - it's the nearest I'll get to most AO's until the British ones are digitised.

Have you seen any AO's for 1918 on the site ?

Craig