Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oddly stamped P'88

4thGordons

Just obtained another P1888 bayonet

It is an 8 '96 Dated blade with standard inspection markings (WD Enfield Inspection and bend test on one side and VR cypher8 '96 on the other), the pommel is unmarked - but it has a rather unique (in my experience) crossguard stamp.

see below:

post-14525-0-74692600-1438965499_thumb.j

The use of the full stop is interesting and not something I have seen before.

It is in a standard (bit damaged) scabbard with J.W.B. and an inspection mark stamped into the the leather

Thoughts?

Chris

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by 4thGordons

Just obtained another P1888 bayonet

It is an 8 '86 Dated blade with standard inspection markings (WD Enfield Inspection and bend test on one side and VR cypher8 '96 on the other), the pommel is unmarked - but it has a rather unique (in my experience) crossguard stamp. ... Thoughts?

None really, and the closest I can think of is a W/1915 S.84/98 marked "6. 14."! No possible connection - I think, but never say never... :thumbsup:

There again, Canadian P.1893's were marked something similar weren't they? But with the unit name in front of the number?

Chris,

By coincidence, I have just acquired a Patt. 1907 with a scabbard marked J.W.B. 18. I am told the J.W.B. stands for John White & Sons Ltd. Park Rd. Tannery, Bingley. However, it appears they only made scabbards from 1917 for the Patt. 1907 and Patt. 1913 so whether they made your scabbard is another matter.

Regards,

Michael.

Just obtained another P1888 bayonet. It is an 8 '86 Dated blade ...

Really Chris.??? That would be an extremely rare beast indeed.! I am surprised none of the forum 'experts' have picked up on this point already. :devilgrin: (Funny thing typos) :thumbsup:

As for the numbering on the guard, I don't recall seeing that exact same style before. However in saying that my best guess would be that it is a Canadian type marking.

The Canadian system at the time did involve a Unit Number / Rack Number type of stamping. It is commonly seen on the woodwork of the rifles and on some bayonets.

I struggled with working out what the stamping on one of my P1888's represented for years, before finally getting it with some input from one of our Canadian members.

As shown in the photo below of my Wilkinson 10 '96 the number at top is the Regiment with the number at bottom being the Rack number. Yours may work out similarly.

In my experience you really need to look at the 'overall picture' of the bayonet markings, not just single facet in isolation. The other markings can also offer some clues.

For example does it have any British 'reissue markings' or inspection dates.? Most British bayonets of this period would have, while Canadian bayonets would not have.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-59664400-1438988217_thumb.j

Really Chris.??? That would be an extremely rare beast indeed.! I am surprised none of the forum 'experts' have picked up on this point already. :devilgrin: (Funny thing typos) :thumbsup:

Most British bayonets of this period would have, while Canadian bayonets would not have.

Cheers, S>S

attachicon.gif600.JPG

OOps - yes corrected! I got it right once out of 2!

No, no other markings beyond those listed above (no additional reissue/inspection etc stamps).

Chris

Most of us are too polite to overly stress people's typo's especially as it was clear what was meant from the text of the original post ("It is an 8 '86 Dated blade with standard inspection markings (WD Enfield Inspection and bend test on one side and VR cypher8 '96 on the other")...

Be that as it may, thank you SS for semi-confirming my Canadian suggestion in post no.2, and note that a proper search (which I had no time to do last night but have done just now) would have revealed this thread (from before my time) with something similar and a like suggestion as to origin: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=153357

Actually, the more one searches the more one discovers that the Canadian's seem fond of crossguard marking... Aside from the well known ones on the P,1893's (see http://www.bayonetsplus.com/f_Canadian%20P1893%20bayonet.html), there is this one: http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=30318 (note also the scribed-out 3-digit 'serial' on the reverse, which might be a hint as to the use of other like-marked P.1888's)

SS, any chance of alerting your Canadian contact to this thread? That might provide more clues

EDIT: Oh, SS, you have a 3-digit serial on the crossguard of the Ross you posted on your now-locked Ross Bayonet thread - I knew I'd seen one on a Ross before! See: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=141118post no.20...

I contacted a Canadian collector / dealer I know of and asked his opinion. He indicated that 4G's and the other one on the older post are a Canadian marking, and wrote back to me as follows (direct quote):

">P.1888 with 90. 88 is for 90th Regiment Winnipeg Rifles. 88 would be the

> rifle number.
>
> P.1888 with 64. 278 is for The City Of Halifax. 278 would be the rifle
> number."

So, there you go!

Trajan

• 3 months later...

... I struggled with working out what the stamping on one of my P1888's represented for years...

Just a guess - 24th Battalion (Victoria Rifles), CEF, rack no. 99?

Trajan