Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 1888 Bayonet Markings

deadin

I know this probably isn't from WW1, but all of the experts on things British seem to live here. :thumbsup:

I have what I, so far, have identified as a Pattern 1888, Mk1,2nd Type bayonet.

I have figured out (I think) some of the markings, but there are several others I need help with.

See pictures below

Left Ricasso:

Crown over VR is Victoria Regina

8.96 manufactured August 1896

Right Ricasso:

The Broad Arrow over WD - War Department property mark??

Crown/58/E - Enfield Inspectors Mark or Manufactured by Enfield??

"X" - Bend Test (Proof)

Right Crossguard:

90 . 88 - Unit Mark?? If so, any idea what unit?

Bottom of grip on spine:

"J"? near crossguard

"G" near middle

Crown/??/M near pommel.

I have no idea what these are.

The frog stud on the scabbard carries the number "534"

No other markings I can find. The rear of the pommel is pretty battered, so if there were any marks they're gone.

As you can see from the pictures the left grip panel is split at the oil hole and is missing a splinter on the bottom.

I would like know what the marking mean and if there is anything "special" about this bayonet. The few 2nd Types I have found that have sold here in the U.S. seem to have brought some where in the $80 to $120 range. Is this a reasonable amount? Low,High?

Thanks Dean

bayonet2.jpg

bayonet1.jpg

Dean,

Looks like a good straightforward example to me. Nice clean blade and markings which you have essentially identified.

These were indeed used extensively in WWI - especially in 1914/15 by units that retained MLEs.

Can't help with the unit mark if that is what it is (it could be a rack number). The stamp on the scabbard probably paired it with a like numbered bayonet/rifle, again probably a rack number. One might speculate about regimental numbering systems but for me this would be speculation with little hope of definitive resolution.

Examples of the 88 with a scabbard are not as common as those missing it so that will boost the price a bit, the cracked/chipped grip will lower it, perhaps by the same amount. The range you suggest is about right with some wiggle either side. I have paid considerably less for similar - I have also paid more when it held a particular interest for me (Gordons unit mark.)

Nice example and pictures.

Chris

Right Crossguard:

90 . 88 - Unit Mark?? If so, any idea what unit?

Something about this marking on the crossguard suggests to me that its a Canadian style unit marking. I must have seen these markings on other examples that have been attributed to Canadian units. This also correlates with the Canadian army structure from that turn of the century period. I think you will find that the 90th Regiment of Canadian Infantry was known as the Winnipeg Rifles. The number 88 is most probably the associated weapon or rack number.

Thats the best I can offer. If you want a value just stick it on ebay, cross your fingers and hope someone is watching.

Cheers, S>S

Another question on this bayonet.

Were these usually sharpened by the trooper they were issued to?

This example shows no sign of ever seeing a stone. The edges are beyond dull, they are actually flat.

As it stands it would be great for thrusting, but if you tried a cut you might just raise a bruise. :)

Dean

Another question on this bayonet.

Were these usually sharpened by the trooper they were issued to?

This example shows no sign of ever seeing a stone. The edges are beyond dull, they are actually flat.

As it stands it would be great for thrusting, but if you tried a cut you might just raise a bruise. :)

Dean

British Army bladed bayonets are issued blunt, and remain that way in peacetime. The individual soldier was/is not allowed to sharpen the blade, or use the bayonet as a general purpose tool. This is because the bayonet is primarily regarded as a fighting weapon and, as such, should not be worn down or damaged by knife-like usage.

When the soldier's unit is on active service and prepares for combat operations, an official Divisional order is made to "sharpen bayonets". Units' CQMS/BQMS actually had a sharpening wheelstone in their stores for this very purpose right up until the issue of the SA80 system in around 1990.

Apart from the "equipment preparation" aspect of bayonet sharpening, the receipt of this order has a significant psychological impact on the individual soldier! This was probably a deliberate method of preparing the soldier for the transition to warfighting*.

*(We were given this Regimental part 1 order in Kuwait in 2003, at the official end of the build-up and training phase and just prior to the move to combat positions. Up to that point the whole expedition had seemed much like any other major exercise. The order to sharpen bayonets had a fairly profound focussing effect....).

• 7 years later...

And so do I like it - and the other! I see the OP was posted on 23 09 10, which explains why I missed it... Didn't join until 2011...