Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rediscovery in Elverdinge church (Ypres)

Aurel Sercu

In the past days I have continued my research, motivated in this by some Forum members in this thread, some of who also contacted me off Forum.

Without their support and practical help I don't think that I would be where I am standing now. (Again : Thank you so much, Steve !)

And where am I standing ? Well, I can hardly conceal my excitement, for an hour ago I (we) established contact with the family in the UK. Unfortunately Christopher Tennant's younger brother has died recently.

This search may be, in the frame of the Great War, totally irrelevant, but it's these personal stories that have always fascinated me.

I will keep you informed.

Aurel

Aurel

Irrelevant?

No. Extremely relevant.

What a pity that 2nd Lt. Tennant's brother will not now see the photos of the memorial plaque and the information you have found.

But, there are living family members, and even if there hadn't been you and Steve Nulty and others have made quite a large community of people on this forum aware of 2nd Lt. Tennant.

We will keep him in our thoughts.

Thank you and Steve and all who have helped for your excellent work.

Kate

It's one thing for us on the Forum to know about this discovery but much more important that surviving family members know. I am sure Aurel will extend an invite for them to visit. Great work Aurel.

And where am I standing ? Well, I can hardly conceal my excitement, for an hour ago I (we) established contact with the family in the UK. Unfortunately Christopher Tennant's younger brother has died recently.

Aurel,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts re this issue. Of course it would have nice to have met Tennant's brother, but you no doubt have made other family members very happy. Well done.

Robbie

Hello Aurel.

I hope you are well,and thank you for posting the photo of a re-found,personal memorial.

The personal stories of the war,are why most of us are here in the first place.

None of the stories are irrelevant,in the context of the war as a whole,they just make it that much harder to understand.

A young,good looking chap,intelligent,and with the whole world at his feet,KIA in a side show,during one of the worst battles of the whole war,and still remembered.

What a wonderfull find.

All the best.

Simon.

Irrelevant?

No. Extremely relevant.

Kate

None of the stories are irrelevant,in the context of the war as a whole,they just make it that much harder to understand.

Simon

Kate, Simon,

Actually I was not serious when I spoke about "this search irrelevant in the frame of the Great War". It was meant as irony. We all know - thanks to this Forum - that the relevancy of the Great War is regarding these personal "irrelevant" stories, testimonies, of "irrelevant" grandfathers and greatuncles, about men who lost a spoon on a battlefield, or wrote letters to their mother shortly before they were killed in action.

When many years ago I tried to become interested in the Great War in my area (Ypres), I thought it was hopeless. All these complicated battles ... Messines, Wijtschate, Langemark, Kemmel etc., in 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918 ... involving corps, divisions, brigades, battalions, companies, platoons ... (I did not understand or couldn't remember the difference between a brigade and a platoon etc. at the time). But then you realize that these "big historical events" are not the core. It was these simple "irrelevant" stories of soldiers and civilians.

Robbie, Ian,

I do hope that one day I can show the family the places where Christopher fought, wrote his letters, was buried.

This is (most of) his last letter. It was not sent, but was found upon his body after his death. Written a few hours before.

September 2nd, 1917.

Dearest Mother,

All well. I come out tonight. By the time you get his you will know I am through all right.

I got your wire last night, also your three letters. (...) Many thanks for that little book of poems. It is a great joy having it out here. There is nothing much to do all day except to sleep now and then. (...) It will soon be English leave, and that will be splendid ! (...)

I got hit in the face by a small piece of shrapnel this morning, but it was a spent piece, and did not even cut me.

One becomes a great fatalist out here.

God bless you.

Your loving

Cruff.

That same night, 4 o'clock a.m. Christopher was killed between Langemark and Bikschote.

Relevant ? Extremely. This is what a war is all about.

Aurel

Aurel,

At first I thought this might be the same Lt C Tennant Lyn MacDonald uses in her 1915 book. However I see he was with the 1/4 Seaforth Highlanders. He also died (at Aubers Ridge) as a Lieutenant, as I am sure you know slightly higher in rank than 'your' 2nd LT C Tennant. ;)

Very interesting story though.

Andy

Aurel

Of course I know that you, in particular, think that discovery about the individual soldiers is the most important part of finding out about the Great War.

I also know how much trouble you go to, to contact relatives about anything you discover.

I was just reaffirming the relevance, which is obvious in all your posts, of what has been brought to light. (literally).

That letter, never sent, but discovered with 2nd Lt. Tennant, is trying to be so optimistic in his talk about 'leave' and playing down his situation. It is very moving to read.

His living relatives must feel astonished and very pleased that his memorial plaque has been found.

Kate

Quite agree that when we establish the story of one man, we honour him and by extension we honour them all . One death is a tragedy, many thousands a statistic.

What a sad and sensitive face this young man has. Whilst not impugning his skill as a soldier, he does not look in the slightest martial or warlike. Even at this distance in time one can feel the echoes of the distress of his mother and family.

Another great Forum story which I certainly hope will culminate in Aurel meeting some of the family. This event will bring a completeness to this fascinating episode and I for one will take some time out when next in Belgium to see this memorial.

Aurel

I have just come across mention of Sir Oliver Lodge's son Raymond, who died of wounds 14th September 1915. 2/Lt South Lancashire Reg. 2nd Bn. attd. 3rd Bn. Checking on Google I notice that Raymond is commemorated on The Birmingham University virtual War Memorial.

Myrtle

Myrtle,

Yes, that's right. And Raymond Lodge was buried at Birr Cross Roads Cem., just outside Ypres (Menin Road). That Sir Oliver Lodge too had a son who fell in the Great War, and that both he and Christopher's mother had a common interest (psychic phenomena, automatic writing, spiritualism, the life hereafter,... explains why the former wrote Christopher's biography, and so soon after his death.

Aurel