Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rediscovery in Elverdinge church (Ypres)

Aurel Sercu

The village next to my own village Boezinge (north of Ypres) is Elverdinge. Two days ago I was informed that 'something' had been rediscovered in the church floor related to the Great War. So this morning I went there, and indeed, the find is - in my eyes - something rather exciting.

What happened was that some time ago (weeks ?) the pulpet had been removed to be placed elsewhere in the church, and doing so a brass commemorative plate was revealed, which had been hidden underneath for - so I was told this morning - for over 40 years.

The plans were to lay a new carpet there, and fortunately one of the prominent people in Elverdinge realized that this plate had to remain visible. So an opening was left in the carpet, framing the plate. (A neat job I must say.)

The text on the brass plate (which is approx. 50 cm / 1.6 ft x 30 cm / 1 ft) reads :

Orate pro anima

CHRISTOPHER SEROCOLD TENNANT

2nd Lieut. Welsh Guards, of Cadoxton, Neath, Wales.

Born 1897. Fell in action 3rd Sept. 1917 near Langemarck. Aged 19

Dearly loved

Ex voto matre sua

Sancta Teresia a Jesu Infante pro nobis

This officer, so I found, was killed in a minor operation, two weeks after the Battle of Langemark (8 km / 5 miles eastward). That same day (3 Sept.), and the following day 16 other ranks fell in the same battalion (1st Welsh Guards).

He is the son of Charles Coombe and Winifred Coombe Tennant, of Neath, Wales. His biography was written in 1918 already by Sir Oliver Lodge ("Christopher - A Study in Human Personality"). I do not possess that biography, but it is in the Ypres In Flanders Fields Documentation Centre. It is obvious that I want to read it as soon as I can.

As to the rediscovery I can only conjecture what must have happened, based on what some people in Elverdinge told me, and also having found that George Christopher Serocold Tennant (CWGC) or George Christian Serocold Tennant (SDGW) was buried at Canada Farm cemetery (Elverdinge, near the road to Poperinge).

His mother ("ex voto matre sua") must have chosen the church of Elverdinge, rebuilt in the 1920s, to have a commemorative brass plate fixed to the floor because her son was buried in that village. (Apparently his father had died by then.) Some years later the pulpet, which was on the right side of the aisle, was moved to the left side, and in the process covered the brass plate . (I know, this is strange and rather disrespectful, but the parish priest must have had his reasons, and maybe it all happened a few decades later.) And now it has come back to light...

Personally I think this is an important discovery and I am extremely grateful that I was informed. I think that the media should be informed about this, and I will contact them and provide them with the information I have and will have in the coming days. Should some Forum members have additional information which they think I may not find here, I will be glad to receive it.

Aurel

post-19-1100453493.jpg

A Welsh friend tells me the Tennants were pretty much royalty in the Neath area. There is a Tennant Canal built in the 1820's and Port Tennant is still a place name until this day. A Tennant lady married Stanley the explorer (of "Dr Livingstone, I presume " fame).

I wonder if Tennants still live in the area ? Can any Neath Pals tell us ?

A wonderful find - how great to see this memorial come back into the light of day again. Aurel, I'm sure I won't be alone in asking you to congratulate and thank the people who took the decision to keep the memorial visible from now on.

Tom

Ian, Andy, Chris, Tom,

Thanks for the replies. And yes, I was thrilled I must say.

When I was informed two days ago, the rumour was that it was "a grave".

A possibility which of course I dismissed at once. (A 1917 man - officer or other rank - buried in the church floor of a church that was nothing but a pile of rubble by then...

But I cannot deny that for a split second I thought that a grave in a church in this area would indeed be sensational, as the man in this case would have no known grave. But again : a grave in a church is impossible (or very exceptional, Terry ?)

And the people who took the measures to preserve it and keep it visible did a fine job indeed. But I wouldn't expect anything else since the person involved is a local politician. But let's be honest : it could just as well have turned out that the workmen removing the pulpit and laying a carpet simply covered the brass plate again as being irrelevant. Fortunately someone in authority was informed !

Aurel

hi Aurel,

Great find.

I have a copy of the biography.

Let me know if you still need it

and I will let you borrow it.

Koyli

Thanks, Koyli.

But I know they have it in the Ypres Documentation Centre (I saw it in their catalogue). And as I will be going there next Wednesday ...

But should it be unfindable .. I know who I can turn to.

Aurel

This is what this forum is all about......

Its nice to be part of it.

Ianw

Just checked the 2003 Electoral Roll and found 6 Tennants living in West Glamorgan; 2 in Port Talbot, 1 in Skewen Neath and 3 in Glynneath. Obviously no way of knowing if they're related to our man.

Steve

I wonder if Tennants still live in the area ? Can any Neath Pals tell us ?

Ian,

Thanks for asking the question that I wanted to ask myself too.

And as you see, Steve N. has already answered.

Aurel

Ianw

Just checked the 2003 Electoral Roll and found 6 Tennants living in West Glamorgan; 2 in Port Talbot, 1 in Skewen Neath and 3 in Glynneath. Obviously no way of knowing if they're related to our man.

Steve

Thanks, Steve ! I appreciate.

And as I intend to attempt to contact possible Tennant descendants or relatives, I will send you an email off Forum for more details.

Aurel

Aurel/Steve,

I would imagine any remaining relatives might still be fairly well to do. Although the fortunes of families may well wax and wane.

Please keep us advised of any developments in the tracing of relatives. Good Luck !

Steve,

I have contacted you off Forum, and you replied almost immediately, with a lot of valuable information. I have just sent you an email in reply, but I want to thank you in public. No doubt what you found for me will turn out to be extremely useful. And if I ever get in touch with relatives of Christopher Tennant, it will be thanks to you !

Aurel

There are some letters written by Christopher to his mother on:

www.westdowns.com/christpr.htm

Brigadier A.H.S. Coombe - Tennant was his younger brother.

This is marvelous stuff !!!

There are some letters written by Christopher to his mother on:

www.westdowns.com/christpr.htm

Brigadier A.H.S. Coombe - Tennant was his younger brother.

Myrtle,

Thanks.

Yes, I had found them on the web this afternoon.

Interesting reading. But unfortunately only when he was in his West Downs school (1909-1912).

I can hardly wait to read the rest of his biography. (Next Wednesday.)

And as Steve gave me the address of a possible relative... Looks promising.

Kristof,

Thanks for your reply too.

Aurel

Aurel,

i used to live so close there, never saw it, knew it.

thanks to you to share it with us. ;)

kristof

Aurel

Thanks for that. Hope you received my email this morning which I think confirms that we have traced the brother of our man.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

Yes, I received your emails ! Thanks !

And tomorrow I'll contact Christopher Tennant's brother.

And thanks to your help which allowed me to gather a lot of information in a very short time, the media became quite interested. It was on our local radios this morning, tomorrow it will be in one of our major newspapers, and ... tonight it even was on our local TV (WTV) ! An item about the commemorative plaque in the church and Christopher Tennant's grave on Canada Farm Cemetery nearby. An item of more than 2 minutes !

And ... here with me, half a day sooner than I had anticipated, I have the man's biography. A lot more interesting than I had thought. With the letters he wrote to his mother while at the front. Very poignant reading it is, I can assure you.

If I may quote two sentences :

- 27 August 1917, after arriving in Flanders : "I am in good spirits and really enjoying the great adventure."

- And on 2 Sept, a few hours before he was killed the following day, the last words of his final letter to his mother were : "One becomes a great fatalist out here. God bless you."

I am attaching a photo of George Christopher Serocold Tennant.

Aurel

post-19-1100637832.jpg

And as the late afternoon Elverdinge sky was very co-operative, another photo, of the headstone in context (first left).

Aurel

post-19-1100638294.jpg