Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Julius Regensteiner, 5 Komp, Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 113 ICRC Help&#33

ph0ebus

And the memorial was designed by a certain Professor Friedrich Adler !

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=228920&hl=

Wow! I suspect it must have been particulary moving for him since he was related in one way or another to nearly every man on the memorial. What irony that the man who designed a memorial to the Jewish victims of World War One became himself a Jewish victim of World War Two.

• 2 years later...
On 15/6/2015 at 22:20, ph0ebus said:

Hi all,

I am in the process of researching a relation of mine who went missing during the war. His name was Julius Regensteiner, born 27 Jan 1897 in Laupheim, Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. He was an Unteroffizier attached to the 5 Kompagnie, Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 113, when he went missing. His entry in the Vermisstenliste can be found here:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/9814518

Following a hunch I checked the ICRC database and found five cards for him! Can someone have a look at these and confirm my understanding of what these records are saying? My interpretation follows the photos below. Here's one card:

C_G1_D_15_01_1162_0800_0.JPG

Another card:

C_G1_D_15_01_1162_0799_0.JPG

This third card has the reference number R.ab 96:

C_G1_D_15_01_1162_0796_0.JPG

Following that reference number I find an entry in a written inquiry to Geneva that says (and I am condensing here):

"Nous ne avons pas de fiches au nom de XO438 Regensteiner Julius 113e Inf.5e. cie" - there is also a handwritten notation beside it that says 'fait 5.11.15".

Can I conclude from this that while Julius' family made several inquiries, the Red Cross had no records of him, suggesting he was killed in action near Souain on or about September 22nd (per ICRC card) or 25th (vermisstenliste) 1915 and has no known grave? His entry in the weltkriegsopfer database:

http://www.weltkriegsopfer.de/Kriegsopfer-Julius-Regensteiner_Soldaten_0_468638.html

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, as always.

-Daniel

I am doing some researches about battle of Champagne and I suggest to you to ask to Volksbund where is his final burial place, I did so about a Bavarian officer killed on the Somme

I follow many topics and I heard many times ago about Julius Regensteiner so if I can be useful, I am available to help you

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 06:54, deutscherinfanteriest said:

I am doing some researches about battle of Champagne and I suggest to you to ask to Volksbund where is his final burial place, I did so about a Bavarian officer killed on the Somme

I follow many topics and I heard many times ago about Julius Regensteiner so if I can be useful, I am available to help you

Hello,

Thanks so much for your interest and suggestion; I will indeed follow up with them.

Best wishes,

Daniel

• 4 years later...

Confirmed that Volksbund has no reports on his fate, burial nor for his platoon commander and Kompanieführer.

Regensteiner's fate remains unclear but probably killed West of Souain during an artillery barrage or when French Colonial troops storming the trench system, with bayonets and handgrenades cleared it and wiped out every German defender. Few were captured alive.

On that rainy dark day, at 9.15 am, begun the battle and French Army sustained severe losses :poppy: Lest we forget!