Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Workhouse boys without records

KathrynWhite

Just as a further piece of information, another brother, Frank Capener, born 1891, who appears with the family on the 1901 census, enlisted in the Gloucestershire Regiment in 1910.

He has a number of service papers, as 9289 Francis Gilbert Capener, and went to France 19/12/14. He was discharged in 1919, and his address was 31 Council Buildings, Dursley. Unfortunately, there is no family information. He married Elizabeth A Poole in 1920.

EDIT - Sorry, perhaps Frank is the brothers' nephew despite being older. Such are the complexities of the Capener family.

Gilberts Mothers maiden name is (Elizabeth) James so it seems likely that he may have used this when he left the workhouse

Gilbert Capener.jpg

Hi Ruth, would it be possible to get a higher resolution picture of that certificate? I'll PM you my email address.

I'd pretty much concluded the James name must have been at least one of their mothers: on previous censuses she is listed as their housekeeper though.

I have read the Dursley Workhouse records for the family. Oddly there is no mention of an Elizabeth or a James.