Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval Rifles II

trajan

Could the experts tell me if this is a similar bayonet. I picked it up quite cheaply a few years ago because of its condition - the scabbard has a couple of dents in it. I can't see any distinguishing markings on it except that shown in the second photo (but I have refrained from cleaning it too much!)

Sorry for the quality of the photos

Thanks in advance.

post-41609-0-05563700-1456163430_thumb.j

post-41609-0-78618600-1456163600_thumb.j

Hi Don,

Looks to be a standard Type 30 Arisaka bayonet with the Tokyo arsenal mark. Condition is OK. However the other key bit is the serial number off the pommel end, as is that a mark between the crosspiece and the arsenal mark (thought to represent cannon balls)? If so it's an inspection mark and therefore an early bayonet. The serial number may have Japanese symbols preceeding the number, in which case it is not so early and will be post WW1.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the serial number. It is towards the top end of observed numbers for British marked Arisaka bayonets. The highest I've found before was 1478408. I've seen an RM marked one number 817761 (the one I couldn't afford!).

Is it in the very early type scabbard with no 'cone' at the screw - see pics attached of both types?

Cheers,

Tony

P.S. I am particularly interested in the serial numbers as I may have a British service one, but as there is no regimental mark only a number it is far from certain. See pictures below.

post-22051-0-06629900-1456177252_thumb.j

post-22051-0-82544500-1456177262_thumb.j

post-22051-0-05791000-1456177283_thumb.j

post-22051-0-51146000-1456177309_thumb.j

Hi Don,

Looks to be a standard Type 30 Arisaka bayonet with the Tokyo arsenal mark. Condition is OK. However the other key bit is the serial number off the pommel end, as is that a mark between the crosspiece and the arsenal mark (thought to represent cannon balls)? If so it's an inspection mark and therefore an early bayonet. The serial number may have Japanese symbols preceeding the number, in which case it is not so early and will be post WW1.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony.

Many thanks for the information. You reminded me of some earlier investigation I did from which I thought it may be a later issue. The mark near the crosspiece is not easy to discern. However, here is another photo of it. I did find a serial number which seems to be pretty high - 2319672 but no Japanese symbols preceding it.

Regards.

Reg

post-41609-0-99329200-1456185847_thumb.j

Hi Reg,

Yes, an interesting inspection mark I believe. I am also learning re these bayonets, but I am pretty sure this is a Tokyo made example prior to the 1923 move to Kokura after the earthquake, and quite probably made during WW1 from that serial number.

Didn't notice the black paint before, does it look military or a Bubba job?

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Mike,

That's as it should be. I suspected you would have the early scabbard as it is such a lovely set with the frog too. I do not know when the scabbard with the cone came in, but these early ones do not seem to be common, especially in Japanese service.

I think that all the Arisaka's supplied to Britain would have come in these early scabbards, and it is another pointer of originality. The RM example I referred to above also has the early scabbard. My example pictured above has a very clean early scabbard, which is one of the reasons I wonder if it a British one and has not seen Japanese service. The serial is 1137003.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Reg,

Yes, an interesting inspection mark I believe. I am also learning re these bayonets, but I am pretty sure this is a Tokyo made example prior to the 1923 move to Kokura after the earthquake, and quite probably made during WW1 from that serial number.

Didn't notice the black paint before, does it look military or a Bubba job?

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony.

Thanks for your help.

I got the impression that someone had done a paint job on it. It's not too bad but there a couple of places where it is flaking on the crosspiece and the colouration coming through is more akin to that of the piece posted by Mike_H.

Regards.

Reg