Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Set of 3 AIF medals

robbie

Hi all,

I've been watching the bidding on Ebay of a set of 3 AIF medals which sold today for £255. Comments? Price seems high to me.

Robbie

Interesting question, Robbie. I too was wondering roughly what an AIF trio would bring.

CEF trios are usually in the 140-150 pound range for a fighting battalion. A casualty trio would perhaps push it towards 200 pounds. I think however that Aussie groups are very popular, probably the most popular of all the dominion troops, but still 255 pounds does seem a bit steep.

Robbie,

Depends on a host of factors: unit, casualty (and if so, sometimes when and where), condition, other awards and, of course, two or more people who are prepared to bid. Australian medals are also very much more easily researchable than UK counterparts.

Given the popularity of ANZAC medals and current trends in prices, prima facie £255 is steep, but not vertical.

I might be rather lukewarm on the issue (in fact I know I am), but I wouldn't countenance to pay such prices for common campaign medals.

Ricardo

Yes a little expensive for me. It was for PTE J.LARSEN 6th battalion. Not sure whether he was a casualty or not.

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

I had the high bid on the 6th AIF trio for some time - around £155. In fact I had the high bid with 16 seconds to go. <_< Australian groups aren't usually my thing but I had taken a bit of an interest in Pte. Larsen. Looking at the embarkation rolls his father was born in Denmark - I can't remember if I'd established whether Pte. Larsen was also Danish by birth - and I thought it might prove an interesting research project.

My maximun bid was just over £220. I thought it was a bit expensive but not out of line with current prices.

I've seen several similar groups in the last couple of months which have reached £225 - £250.

All the best,

Derek

Sorry should have mentioned Larsen was a casualty.

Name: LARSEN

Initials: J

Nationality: Australian

Regiment: Australian Infantry, A.I.F

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/09/1917

Service No: 3345

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. I. 18.

Cemetery: HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY

I had the high bid on the 6th AIF trio for some time - around £155. In fact I had the high bid with 16 seconds to go.  <_<

My maximun bid was just over £220. I thought it was a bit expensive but not out of line with current prices.

Hi Derek,

I guess you were a little disappointed to miss out. You might like to try this:

http://www.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm

I expect that's what the winning bidder used. I have also used this on the odd occasion.

Robbie

Robbie,

What happens when everyone uses this software? :blink:

Good question, Derek. However, you can use the 10 secs before ending for free. If you REALLY want the item you can pay a small fee to get the sniper to bid 3 secs before the end.

Usually works OK for me.

Robbie

I think however that Aussie groups are very popular, probably the most popular of all the dominion troops.

Why?

Rhetorical question but who was best?

I remember reading a book which said that the German High Command listed the following armies as the ones they didn't want to meet, in this order:

1. Australian

2. Canadian

3. Scottish Highland

Good question, Derek. However, you can use the 10 secs before ending for free. If you REALLY want the item you can pay a small fee to get the sniper to bid 3 secs before the end.

Usually works OK for me.

Robbie

Robbie,

Just a wee question:

Why does the Auction Stealer ask for your E-bay identity AND password there?

Seems a trifle dangerous?

Derek,

No you sign up for a new user name and password. All that is needed from Ebay is the item number.

Robbie

Robbie

It does ask for your ebay username and password. If you don't supply this how can it bid on your behalf?

Andy

Robbie

It does ask for your ebay username and password. If you don't supply this how can it bid on your behalf?

Andy

MMMnn I guess so...might change my ebay password now. :blink:

Robbie

MMMnn I guess so...might change my ebay password now.

In which case you'll no longer be able to use AuctionStealer to snipe eBay auctions. :huh:

Gary

MMMnn I guess so...might change my ebay password now.

In which case you'll no longer be able to use AuctionStealer to snipe eBay auctions. :huh:

Gary

Indeed. B)

Robbie

Using such software is also dangerous, for another person could be using a similar strategy, so if you put in a ridiculously high bid to ensure winning (assuming that others will bid in reasonable increments of, say, 5-10% of total and thus run out of time before it closes) someone else might do likewise.

I think some might remember that modern WW1 book selling for £1000 or so. :lol:

Not a problem if you don't value your ebay name(s) and decline to pay, I suppose...

Richard

Yes Richard, sniper bidding requires a good deal of self control, something that I'm working on.

Robbie :P

Robbie,

The person who puts the highest bid in wins! If two people put the same high bid, I assume the computers would have to fight it out!

I think the reason this group was particularly desirable to AIF collectors is that 2 ANZAC Divs were fighting side by side that day. Phil B

The person who puts the highest bid in wins! If two people put the same high bid, I assume the computers would have to fight it out!

Yes, in the case of two bids the same, I think it is the first to place the bid who wins.

Robbie

Guest shenkursk

Here is a similar service that I have used to good effect:

http://www.auctionsniper.com/

There is of course the whole 'fairness' debate about sniping, but we all know that life isn't fair!

Here are your advantages:

- You are forced to decide well in advance what your maximum bid is to be, and this prevents you from getting caught up in 'auction fever' as the bid inches up incrementally.

- You don't have to set an alarm and schedule time to be at the computer when your item is ending. (Power outage or computer crash? No problem! The server does the bidding.)

The saying goes: Regular bidders bid for a bargain and hope to win. Snipers bid to win and hope for a bargain.

Good luck on the next medal set!

Yes, in the case of two bids the same, I think it is the first to place the bid who wins.

Robbie

But if the two bids are both snipers, then whichever snipe comes in first presumably wins. So the computers decide? Phil B

But if the two bids are both snipers, then whichever snipe comes in first presumably wins. So the computers decide? Phil B

Yes, the relative speed of the connections, ultimately, I guess.

Robbie

I have had considerable success with sniping, although on at least one occasion there was a "computer glitch" which prevented my bid being processed. As far as the question of fairness? Well, all's fair in love, war, and bidding!

I have never viewed sniping software as unfair, nor very useful.

Example: if you bid conventionally on ebay with an upper limit which you are not prepared to exceed, if you are outbid, fair enough; whether you bid on something with days to go or just a few minutes it scarcely makes a difference.

Similarly, with sniping software: again, if you put in an upper limit with which you are happy, fair enough, and if you put in a stupidly high bid, assuming that others' sniping or last-minute bids will bear some resemblance to the then price, be prepared for someone to have the same idea as you and be willing to pay that amount. It has happened in the past.

Another thing, whilst I ramble on: when I note the same person bidding on several lots in which I also have an interest - and I view them (subjectively) as being 'greedy' or placing a very silly, high reserve on each - I will bid on each item several times, with a slight increment for each bid (say £5-10). Thus, if I end up the winning bidder on one, I will stop. I will be more than happy to pay this price; but it will in any case have cost the other bidder at least an extra couple of quid - and more if they want to outbid me.

The other bidder has nothing to complain about, since they entered their upper limits on each lot to begin with; I might get what I want (i.e. one of the items); and the seller and ebay make more money from it. Everyone's a winner, luvverly jubberly!

Richard