Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC indian army Lt J F Petrie North Waziristan Militia

charlie962

Thanks Kim

A nice group LF with an MM at one end ,A LSGC at the other and history in between.

IGSM Medal Rolls to the Indian Army. I have seen it reported that Rolls existed in Delhi until the 1970's but were then destroyed. Is this correct ?

charlie692,

About the medal rolls in India, yes I am lead to believe they are long destroyed. That's what I have always been told.

I have to say Petrie had to have been a very competent officer - you applied for the posting and went through some very rigorous vetting in the field if you got that far - the shake of the Subedar-Majors head and you could be out - no questions. You had to fit in or you were no good to them.

It was a very tough, often lonely existence serving with a frontier scouts unit. You had to be self-reliant and often had to make quick, sound judgements a long way from any support. If you got into trouble on a gasht (a combat patrol) you really did not have any additional resources - no radios, not calling up air support, no ready artillery barrage to be called down. It was down to you and your men to see it through.

I hope that helps,

Matthew

charlie692,

I have a surprise for you - Captain Petrie's medals are known to still exist!

I maintain a card index of IGS08/35's awarded to officers where the medals have been on the market or are known in private hands, and I have a record of Captain Petrie's medals.

His medal group consists of the following:

British War & Victory medals (named to him as Lieut J. F. Petrie)

India General Service 1908-1935 with the clasps Afghanistan NWF 1919, Waziristan 1919-21, Waziristan 1921-24 (Named as Lieut J. F. Petrie, N. Waz. Milita)

They were sold by a medal dealer back in April 1983. They have not resurfaced since as far as I am aware.

I wrote down some of the notes sold with this medal and it confirms, amongst other things, that he served as an Lieutenant with the Calcutta Scottish from 1925-29.

I also noted, as explained before, that his officer service papers are not available at the British Library Asia and Pacific collection, which contains the old India office records.

I hope that helps,

Matthew

Mathew B. Yes that is very interesting news. I wonder who sold them back then ! Did they pass through a well known dealer who still exists and keeps records? Any suggestion as to how to track them down ?

I have to say I had wondered for a moment if someone joined the IA in 1915 to avoid the Western Front! In JFP's case he was only 17 when he became a cadet and there are other links with India I think. But perhaps the fact that he applied for active duty also tells me something as well. Certainly not for me to judge but I do want to understand motivation.

As I have said to Kim who has also been very informative, I am at the beginning of a steep learning curve for a Theatre of Operations about which I know zero!

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...