Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General question re: eligibility for WW1 campaign medals....

headgardener

A couple of recent threads got me thinking about the criteria used to define eligibility for campaign medals (I'm thinking more particularly about the British army and certain civilian organizations rather than commonwealth personnel).

The general mantra that I see on the Forum is:

• 1914 star awarded for service in France between 5th Aug and 22nd Nov 1914
  • 1915 star awarded for active service overseas (except F&F) between 5th Aug 1914 and 31 Dec 1915
  • BWM awarded on its own for service overseas but not in a theatre of war

I think that these statements, while generally correct, are not entirely accurate and I'd just like your opinions on them. I'd be particularly interested in examples that don't conform to these categories. I'm principally interested in the award (or non-award) of the 1914 star, but I've covered the 15 star and BWM in case they shed any further light on this matter in general.

I'm sure that this has already been covered in various other threads, but I get the sense that it still isn't fully understood by many people here (including myself).

1914 star

The criteria for the award of the star isn't simply service in F&F during the relevant dates; the person in question had to be on the establishment of a unit of the BEF in order to qualify. That would appear to indicate that people who, for whatever reason, were NOT on the establishment of a unit of the BEF yet who somehow ended up in France during the relevant period would not receive a 1914 star (I'm thinking of messengers or envoys of some kind, or some form of inspecting officer, or someone conducting a draft of men overseas, members of certain voluntary organizations, etc). I understand that the RAMC crew of cross-channel hospital ships in Aug-Nov 1914 would 'only' be entitled to a 1914-15 star, regardless of the fact that they might have disembarked at a French port in order to carry patients aboard. I also understand that Draft Conducting Officers (perhaps this was later in the war?) were entitled to BWM's based on the fact that they had gone overseas, but were not part of the establishment of a unit in a war zone.

So would all this mean that someone who went to France in 1914 yet who was not on the establishment of a unit of the BEF might only be entitled to a BWM? Can anyone cite any examples of people who served in France in some capacity before 23rd Nov 1914 yet who did not receive a 14 star? In which case, what campaign medal(s) did they receive?

The only (poor) example that I can think of off the top of my head is a trio of Salvation Army officers who voluntarily went to France in August 1914 without official sanction in order to establish the needs of the men and women of the BEF. They ended up in Brussels when it was over-run by the German army, and managed to get safe passage to Holland and from there to the UK. One of them returned with the first Salvation Army ambulance unit in November 1914, so his MIC shows his date of entry as Nov '14 (presumably because their trip to France in August 1914 was not in any official capacity). It's a poor example, but are there any others that might be relevant to this discussion?

1915 star

Based on my understanding of the criteria for the award of the 1914 star, I'm assuming that the person in question had to be on the establishment of a unit serving abroad during the relevant time period. Again, what would that mean for anyone who served abroad in some capacity yet who was not part of the establishment of a unit serving abroad?

BWM

It appears to be generally accepted that BWM's were awarded for service abroad which was not in a war zone. Returning to something that I mentioned in the paragraph on the 1914 star, Draft Conducting Officers were awarded BWM's - yet they DID proceed overseas and their (presumably short) service there WAS in a war zone, it was simply that they were not part of the establishment of a unit in that war zone. I seem to remember that the head of the Army Chaplain's Department (Bishop Taylor-Smith...?) did some tour of inspection in France and only received a BWM for that same reason.

Army men who were killed during the bombardment of Hartlepool received BWM's. They didn't proceed overseas, yet they were in a war zone, so why 'only' a BWM? Or why any medal at all, for that matter?

Also, I remember a case on here some time ago of a man who landed in France on 11 Nov 1918, yet he only received a BWM but no VM. Why...?! Surely no campaign medal would be issued after the cessation of hostilities (unless their service took place elsewhere - i.e. Russia). And if he had landed before 11a.m. then surely he would have been entitled to a BWM/VM pair?

Any thoughts.....?

Army men who were killed during the bombardment of Hartlepool received BWM's. They didn't proceed overseas, yet they were in a war zone, so why 'only' a BWM? Or why any medal at all, for that matter?

I believe that was a extra addition to the BWM rules regarding men who had been involved in enemy action but hadn't gone overseas - I'm sure that some pilots were covered by this for anti-Zeppelin patrols as well.

Craig

Also, I remember a case on here some time ago of a man who landed in France on 11 Nov 1918, yet he only received a BWM but no VM. Why...?! Surely no campaign medal would be issued after the cessation of hostilities (unless their service took place elsewhere - i.e. Russia). And if he had landed before 11a.m. then surely he would have been entitled to a BWM/VM pair?

Did France cease being classed as an active theatre of war at the signing of the armistice ?.

If so it was presumably something to do with it not being a theatre of war any more (so no VM) but he got the BWM for going overseas.

Craig

Did France cease being classed as an active theatre of war at the signing of the armistice ?.

If so it was presumably something to do with it not being a theatre of war any more (so no VM) but he got the BWM for going overseas.

My understanding is that no medals were issued for service in France after the armistice. I have a photo of a man from either the RWF or the Welch Rgt (can't remember which) who died from flu in France in early December 1918 - no MIC, so presumably no medals. He must have arrived there after the armistice. Maybe I'm wrong on this, which would mean that lots of the 'BWM only' MIC's that we come across could be for service in France post-war. I'm pretty certain that's not the case, though.

Below is the explanation of criteria for earning the 1914 Star from the National Archives, the use of the words "under fire" are significant, but it maybe an over simplification to include the criteria for the Clasp also.

1914 Star For service under fire in France and Belgium, 5 August - 22 November 1914. Includes sailors serving ashore.

Sam

Below is the explanation of criteria for earning the 1914 Star from the National Archives, the use of the words "under fire" are significant, but it maybe an over simplification to include the criteria for the Clasp also.

1914 Star For service under fire in France and Belgium, 5 August - 22 November 1914. Includes sailors serving ashore.

Thanks Sam - yes, that's a crazy oversimplification by TNA. The bit about having been 'under fire' applied to the award of the clasp, not the star itself. The criteria for the award of the star is set out in AO 350 of 1917, and there's a photo of the actual A.O. (courtesy of forum member 'themonstar') in post #4 on THIS thread. It's this AO that specifies that the person had to be on the strength of a unit of the BEF (implying that someone in France who was NOT on the strength of a unit of the BEF wouldn't qualify - I'm particularly curious to know whether there are any examples of this).

Of the top of my head, and purely conjecture, surely any member of the Imperial General Staff making a fact finding visit or planning Base depots/ supply routes, they would hold no appointment with the BEF as their IGS appointment would supercede it.

Sam

I think there may be something in the way it's worded regarding the 11 Nov 1918 - the bits I can find on it say that (at a minimum) you just had to have proceeded overseas on 11 Nov 1918, doesn't say you have to have arrived anywhere (or passed in to a theatre of war). The question comes as to whether 11 Nov 1918 was designated still at a theatre of war for F&F, if so landing should get a VM, if not then only the BWM.

It may also be one of those cases where he departed on 11 Nov 1918 but travelled overnight and actually arrived on 12 Nov 1918 so the BWM applied on date of leaving the UK but the VM didn't as he entered F&F too late.

Craig

1914 star

I understand that the RAMC crew of cross-channel hospital ships in Aug-Nov 1914 would 'only' be entitled to a 1914-15 star, regardless of the fact that they might have disembarked at a French port in order to carry patients aboard.

I didn’t know that so I looked up the MICs of the commanding officers of the first three hospital ships to serve. These were

“St Andrew” (also referred to as No 2a Hospital Ship) - Maj Standish de Courcy O’Grady

“St David” (also referred to as No 1 Hospital Ship) - Maj John Matthews

“St Patrick” (also referred to as No 2 Hospital Ship) - Maj Frederick Archer Stephens

The MIC of Maj O’Grady states he entered the war on 21st August 1914 (No reference to a hospital ship) - he received the 1914 Star

The MIC of Maj Matthews states he entered the war on 20th August 1914 with No 1 Hospital Ship - he received the 1914 Star.

The MIC of Maj Stephens states he entered the war on 13th August 1914 with No 2 Hospital Ship - he received the 1914-15 Star.

Strange that only two of them got the 1914 Star but not all of them. Strange also that the officer who appears to have arrived first, 13th August, was the one who received the 1915 Star :huh:

• Admin

I think there may be something in the way it's worded regarding the 11 Nov 1918 - the bits I can find on it say that (at a minimum) you just had to have proceeded overseas on 11 Nov 1918, doesn't say you have to have arrived anywhere (or passed in to a theatre of war). The question comes as to whether 11 Nov 1918 was designated still at a theatre of war for F&F, if so landing should get a VM, if not then only the BWM.

It may also be one of those cases where he departed on 11 Nov 1918 but travelled overnight and actually arrived on 12 Nov 1918 so the BWM applied on date of leaving the UK but the VM didn't as he entered F&F too late.

Craig

Considering how dangerous the place still was that is a bit rough but a cut off date for anything will always have some unlucky people. I am sure I've read somewhere of a man who landed in France round 3AM on the 23rd Nov 1914 too.

For the 1915 Star at least, qualification occured upon leaving home shores. Many AIF men who spent 2 months travelling to the Middle East ended up in Egypt due to the winding down of the Gallipoli campaign and did not enter a theatre of war until early 1916 when the bulk of the AIF moved to France but they all got 1915 Stars.

• Admin

Headgardner

To use his full later title, Major General Sir Fabian Arthur Goulstone Ware CB, CMG arrived in France on 16th September 1914 in charge of a volunteer mobile ambulance run by the British Red Cross and nothing to do with the Army. He was award a 14 Star with Clasp. It was only after the 22nd Mov he was given an honorary rank of Major and then got 'a 'proper' rank upon the creation of hte Graves Registraion unit. Of course, this award was probably a "courtesy" award similar to the King getting a Trio (15 Star I think)

There is also the case of SSM W.W. Tracy an Australian who went on a 12 month secondment from the Australian military to the Royal Warwicks in Jan 1914 (30.8.14) and served in France with the first battalion before returning to Aust in 1915 and joining the AIF. He is, as far as I can tell, the only member of hte AIF to get the 14 Star (with Clasp). I don't know if a secondment counts as "on the establishment".

Glen

There is also the case of SSM W.W. Tracy an Australian who went on a 12 month secondment from the Australian military to the Royal Warwicks in Jan 1914 (30.8.14) and served in France with the first battalion before returning to Aust in 1915 and joining the AIF. He is, as far as I can tell, the only member of hte AIF to get the 14 Star (with Clasp).

And before anyone says it, although portrayed wearing a slouch hat in "Our World War" Australian Lt later Capt Frederick Wilberforce Alexander Steele was an Officer of the Royal Fusiliers and not on attachment.

Sam

Frederick Joseph Sears enlisted with the NZEF in London in 1916 and served only in England. He was awarded the British War Medal. Presumably because he served "overseas" (from New Zealand) even though technically he wasn't overseas from where he enlisted?

Ann

1914 star

The criteria for the award of the star isn't simply service in F&F during the relevant dates; the person in question had to be on the establishment of a unit of the BEF in order to qualify. That would appear to indicate that people who, for whatever reason, were NOT on the establishment of a unit of the BEF yet who somehow ended up in France during the relevant period would not receive a 1914 star (I'm thinking of messengers or envoys of some kind, or some form of inspecting officer, or someone conducting a draft of men overseas, members of certain voluntary organizations, etc).

I don't think they had to be 'on the establishment of a unit of the BEF' but had to be working for an organisation or unit which was in France supporting the BEF or caring for their personnel. Otherwise any member of the British Red Cross (for example) would not have qualified. The BRCS 1914 Star medal roll (WO329/2505) and the Miscellaneous Units medal roll (WO329/2504) show a considerable number of civilians and voluntary workers receiving the award. They include all sorts of medical staff working for voluntary units, and also many civilians including 'Stationery Service' civilians, 'Searchers' Unit' civilians, BRCS Headquarters office staff, Army Scripture Readers and a number of titled ladies.

Sue

I don't think they had to be 'on the establishment of a unit of the BEF' but had to be working for an organisation or unit which was in France supporting the BEF or caring for their personnel. Otherwise any member of the British Red Cross (for example) would not have qualified. The BRCS 1914 Star medal roll (WO329/2505) and the Miscellaneous Units medal roll (WO329/2504) show a considerable number of civilians and voluntary workers receiving the award. They include all sorts of medical staff working for voluntary units, and also many civilians including 'Stationery Service' civilians, 'Searchers' Unit' civilians, BRCS Headquarters office staff, Army Scripture Readers and a number of titled ladies.

Sue

The original army order specifically referenced being on the establishment of the BEF but it must have been amended or another order issued to cover the non military who qualified.

Craig

Thanks Sue - this is one of the things that puzzles me regarding the criteria for the award of the star. The rules clearly state that the person had to on the establishment of a unit of the BEF. I'm hoping that someone can advise further on this point.

The original army order specifically referenced being on the establishment of the BBC but it must have been amended or another order issued to cover the non military who qualified.

Craig

This is exactly what I'm wondering..... Does anyone have any further thoughts or advice on this?

Would the personnel whom Sue refers to be employed with military hospitals? If that's the case then, in my opinion, clause 5 of the original Army Order covers the award of the Star to those personnel and doesn't mean that they had to be on the establishment of a unit of the BEF.

Regards

Steve

Would the personnel whom Sue refers to be employed with military hospitals? If that's the case then, in my opinion, clause 5 of the original Army Order covers the award of the Star to those personnel and doesn't mean that they had to be on the establishment of a unit of the BEF.

Having looked at the announcement of the details for the award of the '14 star' in The Times of 26/11/17 (below), and compared it with the AO which it paraphrases, I was thinking much the same.

1914 Star In Bronze.

The New Decoration For Early Service.

An Army Order issued on Saturday announces that the King has been pleased to signify his pleasure to recognise, by the grant of a distinctive decoration, the services rendered by his Majesty's Military Forces under the command of Field Marshall Sir J.D.P. French G.C.B., G.C.V.O., K.C.M.G, in France and Belgium during the earlier phase of the war in 1914, up to midnight November 22-23, 1914.

The decoration will be a Star in bronze. No clasp will be issued with the star. The ribbon will be red, white, and blue, shaded and watered.

Provided the claims are approved by the Army Council, the Star will be granted to all officers, warrant officer, non-commissioned officers, and men of the British and Indian forces, including civilian medical practitioners, nursing sisters, nurses, and others employed with military hospitals, who actually served in France or Belgium, on the establishment of a unit of the British Expeditionary Forces, between August 5, 1914, and midnight of November 22-23, 1914.

Officers i/c records will prepare (on printed forms to be obtained from the Secretary, War Office (A.G. 10) nominal rolls, in duplicate, of soldiers entitled to the Star, and forward them, as soon as practicable, to Secretary, War Office (A.G. 10).

Officers (including chaplains and acting chaplains) and nursing staffs (excluding the rank and file of the Royal Army Medical Corps), if not now serving, through their present commanding officers or heads of departments, stating their rank and situation on original date of disembarkation, which must be specified.

In the case of deceased officers and other ranks, applications from their legatee or next-of-kin should, in the former case, be addressed to Secretary, War Office (A.G. 10) and, in the latter case, to the officer i/c records concerned.

The names of officers and warrant officers will be entered on the rolls in order of rank, and those of non-commissioned officers and men in alphabetical order. The rank and regimental number entered on the rolls will be that held by an individual on the date of disembarkation.

The names of individuals who have forfeited the Star under the conditions laid down in the Pay Warrant are to be included in the rolls, their names being entered in red ink and the cause of forfeiture stated in the column for “remarks.” The names of those that have become non-effective by death, transfer, discharge, &c., should also be entered in red ink and the cause of stated in the column for “remarks.”

* *The decision to grant a distinctive decoration to those who served in France and Belgium in the early part of the war was announced in The Times of September 10.

NigelS

WO329/2504 is titled 'Miscellaneous Units' and that's what they were. Many of the units names were medical, but went out in 1914 as completely independent entities. Later on in the war they had to toe someone's line - some came under the BRCS, some were taken over by the War Office, but in 1914 they controlled their own movements. The roll includes the Ambulance Manners, Florence Fiennes Hospital, the Australian Voluntary Hospital, Women's Hospital Corps, American Ambulance among others. But there are also a couple of Salvation Army civilians - in fact quite few civilians, including the aforementioned 'Stationery Services' (no idea what they did), the Marchioness of Titchfield and Lady Algernon Gordon-Lennox. I know that Lady A G-L was there on behalf of Princess Victoria to organise a series of rest clubs for nurses. But the medical units among them were not under the control of the War Office and provided care for any military personnel they came across, of all nationalities. That particular roll does also cover a number of Canadian medical personnel who arrived in France early in the war and probably had a rather more mainstream entitlement to the 1914 Star.

Sue

I'm sure I've raised this in another thread and I can't find my notes at the moment.

I found a record of a soldier who arrived in France on 8 Nov 1918, but was on his way to another theatre, in which he arrived after 11 November. He did not get any medals. (No BWM.)

RM.

The idea that the medals were only awarded to people on the establishment of a unit of the BEF is not general mantra.

According to the bible on medals - "British Battles and Medals" - The list of units eligible for the 1914 Star runs to three pages . The last page includes a dozen civilian units - mostly medical voluntary units - including the Lady Doctors Hospital, Claridges Hotel Paris (22) and 'Miscellaneous Indian Ecclesiastical Establishment'

Even this list is incomplete. The miscellaneous list for the 1914 Star roll runs to 293 pages and inculdes the Civilian Motor Drivers (RAC Owner Drivers), Stationery Services Civilian Roll, The Salvation Army, GPO Telegraph Engineers and three civilian men of the Army Scripture Readers

post-55873-0-85478200-1426469235_thumb.j

This is the award criteria for the BWM:-

The British War Medal 1914 - 1920

Instituted in 1919 to commemorate the successful conclusion of the Great War, and the arduous services rendered by His Majesty's Forces. The Medal was later extended to include service in North and South Russia, Eastern Baltic, Siberia, the Black Sea and the Caspian, and mine clearance post armistice up to 1920.

Award Criteria

Royal Navy.
Awarded to those of the under mentioned classes who performed twenty-eight days' mobilized service, or lost their lives in active operations before completing that period, between 5th August 1914 and 11th November 1918, both dates inclusive.

(a) Officers, warrant officers, petty officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Naval Air Service, Royal Indian Marine, Royal Naval Reserve (including Trawler and Fishery Sections), Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and Dominion and Colonial Naval Forces.

( Mercantile Marine officers and men serving in His Majesty's commissioned ships and auxiliaries on Special Naval Engagements.

© Officers and enrolled members of the Women's Royal Naval Service who proceeded and served overseas.

(d) Members of Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service and Royal Naval Nursing Service Reserve, and recognized official nursing organizations, who served in a hospital ship at sea or proceeded overseas and served in a Naval hospital abroad.

(e) Canteen staffs who served in a ship of war at sea.

(f) Non-nursing members of medical units, e.g. dispensers, storekeepers, clerks, ward maids, etc, who served in a hospital ship at sea or proceeded overseas and served in a Naval hospital abroad.

Mercantile Marine.
Awarded to the men and women of the Mercantile Marine who served at least six months at sea between 4th August 1914 and 11th November 1918. Licensed Pilots, Fishermen and crews of Pilotage and Lighthouse Authorities' Vessels, and of Post Office Cable Ships were also eligible.

Army.
Awarded to the following classes who either entered a theatre of war on duty, or who left places of residence and rendered approved service overseas, other than the waters dividing the different parts of the United Kingdom, between 5th August 1914 and11th November 1918, both dates inclusive:

(a) Officers, warrant officers, attested non-commissioned officers and men of British, Dominion, Colonial and Indian military forces.

( Members of women's formations who had been enrolled under a direct contract of service for service with His Majesty's Imperial forces.

© All who served on staffs of military hospitals and all members of recognized organizations who actually handled sick and wounded.

(d) Members of duly recognized or authorized organizations.

(e) Enrolled and attested followers on the establishment of units of the Indian Army.

Royal Air Force
Awarded to the under mentioned classes who either entered a theatre of war on duty, or who left their places of residence and rendered approved service overseas, other than the waters dividing the different parts of the United Kingdom, between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918, both dates inclusive:

(a) Officers, warrant officers, attested and enrolled non-commissioned officers and men of the Royal Naval Air Service, Royal Flying Corps or Royal Air Force.

( Members of women's formations employed under a direct contract of service with the Royal Air Force Medical Service.

© Members of duly recognized or authorized organizations. The medal was also granted to all officers, warrant officers, attested and enrolled non-commissioned officers and men of the Royal Naval Air Service, Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force who

(i) Had been actively engaged in the air against the enemy whilst borne on the strength of an operational unit in Great Britain.

(ii) Had been employed in flying new aircraft to France.

(iii) Had formed part of the complement of an aircraft-carrying ship.

It will be noted that officers and members of the Women's Royal Air Force were not specifically referred to above. There might, however, be many who are qualified for the medal by reason of services with other women's formations prior to their having joined the WRAF.

No members of the WRAF served overseas as such.

I'ds always heard that L-G had been awarded the 1914 & now see the proof of the issue. Thanks so much for posting that, I'm sure it wasn't well know among WW1 students, or most anyway.

A big 'Thank you' to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far....! It seems to be a much more complex matter than I first thought.

Sticking for a moment with just the award of the 1914 star (and thank you to Craig, Sam, BJay, SPOF, Sue Light and Martin G for their contributions in this regard):

The AO authorizing the award of the star clearly indicates that only people serving on the establishment of a unit of the BEF were eligible. Sue and Martin G both cited examples from the 'Miscellaneous' roll which indicates that various people who were very clearly NOT on the establishment of a unit of the BEF were granted stars (i.e. members of units that were raised and operated independently of War Office control - at least during Aug-Nov 1914). That also included at least a couple of people who I presume did not set foot in France (Lloyd-George & Asquith).

Leaving aside the clearly 'political' 'courtesy' awards, it seems to me that Sue's analysis in post #14 is correct; any personnel deemed to have offered some logistical support to the BEF were considered for the star. Maybe these were also considered 'courtesy' awards? But if they were entitled to a star, why not French or Belgian (or other foreign personnel) who lent similar logistical support? (Alternatively, what type or level of support was deemed sufficient to allow the person's name to be put forward?). In any case, either the original AO was superseded or was subsequently disregarded.

There's also the matter highlighted by BJay (in post #9) of Medical Officers commanding the medical personnel on 3 separate Hospital Ships; 2 received the 14 star and another received a 14-15 star. Theoretically, all of them should have received 14-15 stars. I can't see why there should be any difference between them except in the event that those awarded the 14 star spent some time ashore engaged in some practical work (i.e. logistical work ashore in support of the BEF - perhaps at a local hospital?). I wonder whether the difference in the awards to these men reflects the officers themselves applying for the medals that they thought they were entitled to (which would certainly raise some interesting questions about the awarding of such medals to officers). Having said that, I understand that the 14 rolls were compiled by the regiments/corps concerned, so this would indicate that for some reason the RAMC considered 2 of these 3 men to be entitled to 14 stars. However, I was originally prompted to post this thread having come across the case of an RAMC Private who served on a Hospital Ship (MIC recording a date of entry in late August 1914) yet he was put forward for a 14-15 star. Are there any further examples of HS personnel being awarded 14 or 14-15 stars, I wonder.....?

Does anyone know of any subsequent AO's amending the original AO of November 1917.....?

And does anyone know whether Loyd-George or Asquith actually visited France? If they received the 14 star then they should also (in theory) have received the BW&VM.