Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drew-1918

Hello,

I would be very grateful for any help or information on the whereabouts of the above Army Order of 1917. I think I am right in saying that this order is regarding the award of the 1914 Star, but I am just curious about the actual wording of the original document.

A search of the GWF, Google and also of the National Archives, doesn't seem to throw up anything specific. There are many references to it, but I cannot find anything that actually quotes directly from it. The only examples I can find are from the Admiralty version, which I think dates from a little later and is a little scant on detail:

1914 Star. Army order of 24th November notifying award

An Australian site appears to have a transcript of the above:

Australian Govt link

The Admiralty version makes reference to the original order but does not seem to give away any of the actual details. In actual fact, I cannot find any Army Orders for 1917 at all. Does anyone know if they are missing, or is it just me? The only other orders I could find for that year were the Indian Army Orders. I wonder if they might contain AO350 somewhere?

Army Order 361 of 1919, regarding the Grant of the Clasp, can be found on-line and has quite a bit of detail. I just wondered if I could get anything similar for the earlier order. The only other thing I can think of, is that AO350 may be quoted in a War Diary and/or a Service Record somewhere. However, I think that would be a case of waiting until I come across it, rather than trying to actually search it out, as looking for it in that way could take an age!

Many thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide,

Chris

Chris

Try this file at Kew:

WO 123/59 Army orders (War Office) 1917

It hasn't been digitised yet so a personal visit may be necessary.

Ron

Thank you very much indeed everyone. I am always so moved by how helpful and kind everyone is on this Forum. I cant thank you enough.

Ron,

I don't know if I will ever get the hang of the National Archives search function! Thank you for finding that reference for me. I will have to have a look in there next time I can get to Kew.

Maureen,

Thanks too; What you posted seems very close to the first part of the original posted by themonsstar. Thanks a lot.

Themonsstar,

I am indebted to you. It was very kind of you to post that information for me. It makes for very interesting reading. Much appreciated.

Chris