Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Winston Churchill on the Western Front

WilliamRev

The BEN 10/05/1916 reported that Col Churchill had returned to England on leave of absence until further orders. "It is understood he will not seek a new appointment at present and intends resuming his parliamentary duties".

To Lieutenant- General Charles Fergusson, IX Division

6 May 1916

Orders having been received for the battalion under my command to proceed to XV Divn there to be broken up & amalgamated with the 7th RSF, my command of the 6th RSF will come to an end. I do not seek a new appointment at the present time. I desire to attend to my Parliamentary & public duties which have become urgent. I request therefore that I may be permitted to proceed to England on leave as soon as my command is broken up & that I may await further orders there.

I make this application in accordance with directions I have received from the Military Secretary's Depatment GHQ.

W S Churchill

Lt Col 6 RSF

6 May 1916

My dear Churchill

As I told you today, I thought it right that you should not go on leave until you had conducted your Battalion to its new destination and handed it over.

But perhaps you might tell the Divl Commander to whom you report, that you have the Commander in Chief's sanction to proceed to England at once, after handing over, and that I only detained you in command until you had done so.

Yours sincerely

Charles Fergusson

12 May 1916

My dear Churchill,

Very many thanks for your kind letter. I am very glad that there was no further delay in your getting away. The position of an officer commanding a Battalion in the line who is an MP is certainly difficult, and the two interests are bound to conflict.

However, that is all over, and I am glad that your knowledge of the difficulties and defficiencies out here [France], obtained first hand, will be of immense use to the service hereafter. It is such a pity the units that have acquired esprit de corps should disappear, as with an improvised Army that is an asset which is most difficult to acquire, and worth keeping when one has got it.

Wishing you all success Yours sincerely

Charles Fergusson.

Quoted from Winston S Churchill by Martin Gilbert, Vol. III, Companion Part 2.

Ploegsteert samedi 16 avril 2016. Rue Sainte-Marie (SOYER FARM) inauguration d'un parcours '' SUR LES PAS DE WINSTON CHURCHILL ''. Churchill est à Ploegsteert de janvier à mai 1916. Cette cérémonie était organisée en présence de M. Randolph Churchill et de M.Nigel Dewar Gibb, fils de d'Andrew Dewar Gibb (adjudant de W. Churchill). Walbeer.

post-104524-0-63696300-1463502664_thumb.