Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Hussars patrol uniform

cadmaster

Another variation from the collection. This jacket is a pre war subalterns jacket. Note the plain domed buttons, hook for the aiguillettes and the lack of button on the shoulder chains. He has the 1882 Egypt medal (? there are traces of blue on the right and left side of the ribbon that the camera doesn't pick out), KSA and QSA.

Patrol_zpscdcwvdik.jpg

My example dated to circa 1911, named to Captain later Major Godfrey Percy Burrell M.C. MID 4th Bn. Hampshire Regiment with the large single neck closure and flap.

post-91897-0-85502000-1422889145_thumb.j

post-91897-0-03667700-1422889161_thumb.j

How interesting that he describes it as "4/37th". Given that the old numbers had gone 25 years before the TF arrived, one would have thought it wouldn't happen for a 2-battalion regiment. Goes to show something; I'm just not sure what, exactly.

How interesting that he describes it as "4/37th". Given that the old numbers had gone 25 years before the TF arrived, one would have thought it wouldn't happen for a 2-battalion regiment. Goes to show something; I'm just not sure what, exactly.

But not unique. He was gazetted Captain in 1911 and Major in 1917 so the dating is correct to the period.

I have two other uniform items with a similar much later than expected use of the old regimental numbers, one officers SD tunic dated 19-6-1942 marked 4/23rd and named to the officer so it is correct for his service. Perhaps of interest but it is made by the same tailors, Flights, so perhaps it was something they did. I have another, a mess jacket dated 22/6/32 with the use of 24th for the SWBords, though this is by a different maker.

But the 23rd (Royal Welsh/Welch Fusiliers) and 24th (South Wales Borderers) were both single-battalion creations (i.e., no amalgamation), whereas the 37th had amalgamated with the 67th to create The Hampshire Regiment so I'd sort of assume they'd drop the numbering thing.

Gosh, isn't this thread meandering?

No, the regiments still unofficially referred to themselves by the old numbers. For example, 1 GLOSTERS called themselves "28th" whilst their 2nd Bn was "Sixty-First" (but always written in Roman numerals, viz LXI) until their amalgamation in 1948. Up until final disbandment - oh alright, "amalgamation" into the so-called RGBW, the M4 Fusiliers - they called themselves "Twenty Eighth Sixty First" when the inclination was upon them.

Not much to come from me as it has already been covered.

This is the picture that Steven refers to. Happy for the image to be shared around, just please keep the watermark. c1911-1913. A fine study of both ORs and Officers Patrol uniform. Note the different styles mentioned in previous posts.

Airlie%20picture%207%20WM_zpsp94q6px3.jp

The collar badges would have been of the standard P.W.O type (minus the "10th Hussars Scroll") as per the picture below (this is a 1940s officers example. It is not staybrite, but a rather fancy guilt style. The style did not change and is still in use today. Note there are two types in use in the above picture).

XRH%20Collar_zpsuha3mkzh.jpg

The ORs ranks style with a brass crown.

XRH12_zpsrh0gjvn8.jpg

The Ball buttons would have been of the XRH type, large for the chest, pockets and shoulder (as per examples here in the archive). The smaller example would have been for use on the cuff detail.

XRB%20But_zpsmt96cv8g.jpg

Detail of the shoulder chains. Full colonel, with guilt crown and XRH shoulder title. These chains are sewn on the the shoulders, the ball button (out of shot) is sewn onto the chain.

Shoulder%20crop_zpshcigc0gq.jpg

Interesting to see a later use of Field Service Caps and it is notable that they are still worn at an angle like the earlier pill-box forage cap.

I don't disagree, but it seems odd (to me) that a TF chap would use the number, rather than the regimental name.

Guest BorgCymru

My great Uncle Charles Carratt was in the 10th, he fell in 1914 at Ypres. But I'm not sure when he joined. I have a few XRH items in my collection. Interesting thread this, Thanks

The Hants were initially unhappy with their amalgamation and there is a famous anecdote of a retired officer who when invited to a Hampshire regimental dinner said....I have been 37th all my life and if it was good enough for me then it's good for me now....and I'll be damned if I will attend anything called a Hampshire regimental dinner! The regiment was also unusual in that the Officers adopted the old County Militia badge and the other ranks an amalgam of the two principal emblems of the 37th and 67th, the Rose and the Bengal Tiger.

• 1 month later...

Why's he wearing what looks like an 8th (King's Royal Irish) Hussars tent hat? (Love the 'tache).

Mind you, a nice example of the 10th Hussars' rather splendid horse furniture mounted with cowrie shells. Anyone visiting Horsepower Museum in Winchester can see a set mounted on a horse (not a real horse - a pretend horse)

I guess they are not uniform experts in Thurles as most of the museum is about other things.

It's a correct 10th Hussars tent cap. We only have a couple of complete examples in the collection. Used well into the 1960s IMAG1862_1_zpsctr7mik2.png

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs! I never knew that!!!!

Good for Thurles then and apologies to them!

XRH Brooch.

While I'm on this thread ... not strictly uniform - but wondered if anyone else has seen anything like this XRH brooch? It is being worn by Lady Annie Brocklehurst, mother of Henry Courtney Brocklehurst XRH 1908-1919. She did attend the 1911 Durbar as a guest of the XRH (which may or may not be relevant).

The people in the Horsepower Museum didn't recognise it though Lady Byng had something approaching it. Perhaps it was specially commissioned by Brocklehurst?

Alan

post-63725-0-83238900-1426784564_thumb.j

Alan While I'm on this thread ... not strictly uniform - but wondered if anyone else has seen anything like this XRH brooch? It is being worn by Lady Annie Brocklehurst, mother of Henry Courtney Brocklehurst XRH 1908-1919. She did attend the 1911 Durbar as a guest of the XRH (which may or may not be relevant).

The people in the Horsepower Museum didn't recognise it though Lady Byng had something approaching it. Perhaps it was specially commissioned by Brocklehurst?

Alan

Looking at the unusually large scale Alan I would wager that it is a brooch made up skilfully by a jeweller but using items of actual regimental (officer pattern) regalia carefully conjoined and perhaps plated and even set with precious stones. I have seen such examples before.

• 9 months later...

Another variation from the collection. This jacket is a pre war subalterns jacket. Note the plain domed buttons, hook for the aiguillettes and the lack of button on the shoulder chains. He has the 1882 Egypt medal (? there are traces of blue on the right and left side of the ribbon that the camera doesn't pick out), KSA and QSA.

Patrol_zpscdcwvdik.jpg

I'm quite late to this thread but to concur with Toby who would know after all, here is my Serge Patrol Dress to Major Lord Bentinck-Cavendish DSO c. 1901. The actual dress is older than 1901, it shows the Major pips after B-C was promoted to this rank in 1901.

post-88538-0-75090200-1451976564_thumb.j