Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dardanelles Eldred aka A Cox shot by sniper 1917

baggytrousers

Whilst researching my partner's family history I've come across a family legend as follows:

Benjamin Eldred (c1888, Poplar) was a soldier in 1911 census, he was 'kicked out of the army for hitting an officer that was ill treating a horse. He re-joined using the name A Cox and was shot by a sniper in Dardanelles probably 1917'

How on earth do I start looking into this - any assistance would be much appreciated.

Try the Medal Index Card section on Ancestry [FREE]. Use both names. You may be lucky and find a match showing his address.

Does the Census entry give a regiment?

Baggytrousers

Welcome to the forum. The more info you can provide, the closer you will get to the answer. Family legends are often slightly off mark, but if this is everything you have on him, it is at least a start. If you have any other info, please do share it as the tiniest detail often opens doors.

Part of the story is incorrect. The Dardanelles (Gallipoli) was between April 1915 and Jan 1916. If he was shot by a sniper (and killed?) at Gallipoli it had to happen between these dates. If it was 1917, it was not Gallipoli. Here is a lead (assuming he was shot and killed at Gallipoli):

A Pte A Cox 1st Bn Essex Regt was killed at Gallipoli on 28th Jun 1915. He was a Special Reservist number 3/658 which would indicate he enlisted in the Special Reserve in 1908 shortly after the formation of the Special Reserve from the old Militia (part of the 1907/08 reforms that turned Militia Battalions into Special Reserve battalions). The 3/ simply indicates the 3rd (Special Reserve) Bn (his original unit). His low number (658) suggests early enlistment as the Battalion would be around 1000 strong and men were numbered sequentially. The SR battalions provided reinforcements to the Regular battalions (1st and 2nd Bn), which is why he ended up with the 1st Bn in Gallipoli. Poplar and Warley (HQ of the 3rd (Special Reserve) Bn Essex Regt) are not a million miles apart and many Londoners served with the Essex Regt..

Cox disembarked on 10th Jun 1915 as a reinforcement and was presumed dead on 28 Jun 1915. His names is on the Helles memorial which is consistent with men whose body was not found.

The only caveat is that death was presumed, suggesting the he was Missing in Action. (MIA). If a witness had seen him shot and killed by a sniper one assumes this would have been recorded as 'killed'. One remote possibility is that he was wounded and missing in action.

If he was not killed at Gallipoli and only wounded, the possibilities become much larger as Cox is a reasonably common surname. Only two Cox's are recorded killed at Gallipoli. The other was Alfred George Cox, a Royal Engineer Sapper No. 42053

Hope this helps. It is a long shot and while it is tempting to want to anchor on this possibility, I would encourage you to try and find more corroborating evidence. It is particularly difficult when men used aliases. Even if you can track down A Cox (Essex RegT) personal records it might not record his previous name. Do you have any medals or paperwork relating to him?

MG

Benjamin Eldred, from Poplar, attested into the Royal Artillery in 1907 and was discharged in 1913 for misconduct. His service papers - Service No: 46820 - are on Find my Past.

Dave

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...