Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help wanted to find RAMC soldier, Joseph Lomax

derby15

I offered to help a friend find his grandfathers service history but have drawn a blank.

The family story is that Joseph Lomax served as a stretcher bearer in Belgium and FranceMy friend has copies of his 3 medals together with an oak leaf as Joseph was mentioned in dispatches. As the medals are copies there are no service numbers shown.

The story so far is Joseph was born 1878 in Radcliffe Lancs. I have found him on the 1901 and 1911 census living at 4 Ryder Street and is listed as working at the paper making factor.

He married in 1900 and his wife is listed as Mary Elizabeth Boyd. His children , the ones I have found are , Mary, Gladys, Mary Ellen and Joseph. On Joseph's baptism record in March 1915 Joseph is listed as a private in the army.

I have searched the military records on Ancestry but can't find a definite match. In terms of the medal rolls I do not have enough knowledge of medals to narrow it down, there are about 20 Joseph

Can any one help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Liz

What we know for sure is his name and dob and place.

Did he survive the war?

Is there a pic of him in uniform?

Who ordered the copy medals and how did they know that he was awarded three?

At this stage it might be best to forget the family story. As these stories have been passed down they may not be reliable. It is best to get the facts to back up the story rather than try and make the story fit,

Joseph Lomax lived till 1953, still in Radcliffe. No photos that I know of, I will ask my friend But wasn't offered any.

His son ordered the medals based on stories he'd been told by his father. I am as sceptical as you , I half expected to be give the service no and find they belonged to someone else, esp as I haven't found him.

A skim through Medal Index Cards turns up quite a few with Lancashire Regiments but none with addresses. A couple with RAMC.

Any way of knowing if he had a second name?

If the fathers name was James and mother Mary 1881 Census shows a Joseph Hy Lomax living at 23 Allen Square Radcliffe.

Could Hy be Henry?

Sorry should have added that his marriage record shows his father as Joseph, deceased. I haven't found him on early censuses as there are too many darn Joseph's.....!

3 x Josephs and a couple of Mary's!!

Makes it harder. There is always the chance that he did not serve overseas. Did he have any brothers or just the sisters on the cnsus.

Longshot but...

There was Joseph Lomax, son of Joseph and Alice christened at Bolton-Le-Moors on 3/3/1878 - there was also a Joseph William Lomax, son of James and Mary Ellen christened here on 13/10/1878

Is it possible that this is Joseph and James/Mary Ellen where the aunt & uncle hence the name later given to one of the children ?

Bolton Le Moor seems to be only 4 or 5 km away (from looking at Google Maps)

Craig

Of course not but a lot of names are passed down from father to son and mother to daughter. My name is john, my dad's elder brother was John. my grandfather was John, my Gt grandfather was John as was his . Alright, my forebearers had little imagination when picking names!

Another longshot

Joseph Lomax born Radcliffe. Living in Epsom. Working as an attendant in an Asylum in 1901. Wife named Louisa though.

.Alright, my forebearers had little imagination when picking names!

Another longshot

Joseph Lomax born Radcliffe. Living in Epsom. Working as an attendant in an Asylum in 1901. Wife named Louisa though.

Imagination goes a long way :thumbsup:

I would never have thought that Joseph Lomax was such a popular name in Lancashire until I looked at the census.

Craig

Apologies for not repalying sooner - work gets in the way. thanks to everyone for all the possibles so far.

I will have a look tonight on ancestry and follow the Josephs at Bolton le Moors up.

I looked at the Epsom one a couple of days ago and neither the wife or the children are right so I have discounted this for the time being.

Liz

No problem. Let us know how you get on - I know how difficult it can be to track people down .

Craig

No problem. Let us know how you get on - I know how difficult it can be to track people down .

Craig