Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Parsons Family music-hall troupe - who was 'Sgt. Parsons AOC&#

headgardener

Kate - and anyone else with information about The Empire Music Hall and the "Four Seltinis."

I believe that Willie the acrobat roller-skate dancer was my Grandfather. Can you tell me how to find the Burnley News articles so I can add them to my research? Many thanks, Roxanne

Hi

Just for the record his SWB...No.471431.

Regards Barry

CORRECTED should be 47,431...apologies

Edited by The Inspector

Hi

Regards Barry

According to records on ancestry, Silver War Badge No. 471431 was issued to (SR) 2333 Private Richard Davies. Is he Willie Seltini ?

JP

Hi

Regards Barry

CORRECTED should be 47,431...apologies

According to records on ancestry, Silver War Badge No. 471431 was issued to (SR) 2333 Private Richard Davies. Is he Willie Seltini ?

JP

Hi JP and all

CORRECTION

Should read 47,431. The, looks like a 1 at first glance.

Barry

Silver War Badge 47431

Regtl. No.: 01167

Name: Parsons. Barnaby

Unit discharged from: A.O.C. (New Force)

Date of Enlistment: 31-8-14

Date of Discharge: 7-2-17

Cause of Dischage: para: 39 2xvi.K.R. Sickness

Whether served Overseas: Yes

JP

Kate - and anyone else with information about The Empire Music Hall and the "Four Seltinis."

I believe that Willie the acrobat roller-skate dancer was my Grandfather. Can you tell me how to find the Burnley News articles so I can add them to my research? Many thanks, Roxanne

Welcome to the Forum.

Could you supply Willie's real name please. Do you have his medals? If so, can you tell us what is inscribed around the edge please? It should state name, rank and number. If we have those then we can hopefully make progress.

Willie was still touring the halls in the autumn of 1917. The Coventry Evening Telegraph of 30 October 1917 previews the following week's programme at The Hippodrome thus: "Seltini and Charles present a sensational acrobatic novelty. Willie Seltini holds a unique position as acrobatic roller skate acrobat. His feats are remarkable."

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 05/01/2015 at 17:48, helpjpl said:

1911 Census: Show Caravan, Fair Ground, Blackpool

Barnaby Parsons, Cinematograph Showman, (38), born Burnley, Lancs

Eleanor, (43), born Colchester, Essex

Marguerite, (16), born Clitheroe, Lancs

Georgina Doris, (13), born Ravensthorpe, Yorks

Mary Eva, (11), born Burnley, Lancs

Louisa, (8), born Dipton, Durham

George, (9), born Alfreton, Derbys

Alice, (6), born Sutton Oak, Lancs

Charles, Wesley, (4), born Wesham, Lancs

Wilhelmina, (1), born Greenfield, Yorks

In addition, there are pages of British Army WW1 Pension Records on ancestry for

Name: Barnaby Parsons

Birth Date: abt 1872

Birth Place: St Peter's, Lancs

Marriage Date: 3 July 1913

Marriage Place: Burnley

Regimental Number: 01167

Regiment Name: Army Ordnance Corps

Form Title: Army Reserve (Special Reservists) Attestation

Family Members: Barnaby Parsons (Head)

Spouse: Sarah Lena Beveridge

Child: Eva Parsons

Child: George Parsons

Child: Louise Parsons

Child: Alice Parsons

Child: Charlie Parsons

Child: Maria Parsons

JP

I just came across the Parsons family while researching local area school teachers for my family tree and this page provides excellent background. 

Just a note: The family were actually in Blackrod, near Wigan, Lancashire (not Blackpool) with their travelling cinematography show on the 1911 Census, which must have been fascinating for the denizens of this little Lancashire mining town. I imagine many had never seen anything like it before. I had wondered if they were a well known troupe as Barnaby and Eleanor seemed to be managing to support a huge family on the back of this enterprise. Given the various birthplaces of the children, they seem to have toured across the North of England, primarily in Lancashire and Yorkshire. 

The 1911 census says that Barnaby was born in Bromley, Lancashire. There is no such place, that I'm aware of, but there is a village called Bromley Cross in Bolton. This would tie in with the Army record suggestion that he was born/baptised at St. Peter's, Lancs. The Bolton Parish Church is St. Peter's. 

Interestingly, if Barnaby and Eleanor did not marry until 1913, all the children were born out of wedlock. I too wonder if she was already married and this was the reason they did not get married right away. 

Thanks for the photos. 

Josh Rose, 

researching Blackrod in Lancashire. 

4 hours ago, Josh Rose said:

Just a note: The family were actually in Blackrod, near Wigan, Lancashire (not Blackpool) with their travelling cinematography show on the 1911 Census.

Interestingly, if Barnaby and Eleanor did not marry until 1913, all the children were born out of wedlock. I too wonder if she was already married and this was the reason they did not get married right away. 

1911 Census:  Apologies for typing Blackpool instead of Blackrod - I misread it.

See post #9 on page 1 for details of Sarah Eleanor's first marriage:

The 1911 Census records that Barnaby and Eleanor were married 18 years, but I can't find a record of a marriage between1892-1895 for them. But, I did find this …...

Sarah Eleanor Beveridge - birth registered Apr-May-Jun 1867 in Colchester, Essex* 

Sarah Eleanor Beveridge - marriage registered Jan-Feb-Mar 1887 in Burnley, Lancs to Henry Pickthall. I can't find a record of a divorce but a death for a Henry Pickthall, born Burnley abt 1854, was registered Apr-May-Jun 1913 in Oldham. In 1911 he was living in Oldham.

So, it looks as if Barnaby and Sarah Eleanor lived together and married in Burnley on 3 July 1913 - after Henry's death.

Sarah E Parsons death registered Jun 1946, Southport.

1911 Census: Show Caravan, Fair Ground, Blackrod

Barnaby Parsons, Cinematograph Showman, (38), born Burnley, Lancs

Eleanor Parsons (43), born Colchester, Essex*

Edit

In 1881 Sarah E Beveridge (14), born Colchester, Essex, was working as a cotton weaver and living in the parish of Burnley with her parents and 6 siblings.

JP

Edited by helpjpl
1881 Census

• 3 years later...