Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Parsons Family music-hall troupe - who was 'Sgt. Parsons AOC&#

headgardener

The wife and children of 'Sgt. Parsons, AOC' were a successful musical theatre act (a sort of proto-Partridge Family, for those who are old enough to remember...). I have some of their promotional literature which prominently features references to their husband/father being a serving soldier, so I was wondering whether anyone knew exactly who Sgt Parsons was...? I've done the requisite Googling, and although I can find lots of references to the family, there doesn't appear to be anthing that positively identifies him.

Here he is (taken from one of the Family's flyers):

post-55685-0-11316900-1420473769_thumb.j

What I know:

• They are described as coming from Lancashire, and there appear to be direct connections with Rochdale and Manchester
  • In 1914/16 he is described as being a Sergeant in the AOC (as a result, he didn't feature in the stage-show)
  • An unattributed source on the internet indicates that he was discharged in 1916 - presumably he'd have received an SWB
  • His wife's name was Eleanor (she performed as 'Madame Parsons'), they presumably married in the mid/late 1890's
  • Based on the appearance of their children in 1915/16, I'd estimate that their oldest child was born in about 1899/1900 and their youngest in about 1908
  • The two boys were called George (estimated d.o.b. about 1905ish, I'd say) and Charlie (estimated d.o.b. about 1908ish)

Does anyone have any knowledge of him?

Many thanks for any advice.

As an aside, fact fans, the youngest son (Charlie) became a successful seaside entertainer during the 1950's and 60's and also featured in a few episodes of Coronation Street.....!

post-55685-0-58733600-1420476319_thumb.j post-55685-0-82327300-1420476329_thumb.j post-55685-0-50525000-1420476334_thumb.j

1911 Census: Show Caravan, Fair Ground, Blackpool

Barnaby Parsons, Cinematograph Showman, (38), born Burnley, Lancs

Eleanor, (43), born Colchester, Essex

Marguerite, (16), born Clitheroe, Lancs

Georgina Doris, (13), born Ravensthorpe, Yorks

Mary Eva, (11), born Burnley, Lancs

Louisa, (8), born Dipton, Durham

George, (9), born Alfreton, Derbys

Alice, (6), born Sutton Oak, Lancs

Charles, Wesley, (4), born Wesham, Lancs

Wilhelmina, (1), born Greenfield, Yorks

In addition, there are pages of British Army WW1 Pension Records on ancestry for

Name: Barnaby Parsons

Birth Date: abt 1872

Birth Place: St Peter's, Lancs

Marriage Date: 3 July 1913

Marriage Place: Burnley

Regimental Number: 01167

Regiment Name: Army Ordnance Corps

Form Title: Army Reserve (Special Reservists) Attestation

Family Members: Barnaby Parsons (Head)

Spouse: Sarah Lena Beveridge

Child: Eva Parsons

Child: George Parsons

Child: Louise Parsons

Child: Alice Parsons

Child: Charlie Parsons

Child: Maria Parsons

JP

1911 Census: Show Caravan, Fair Ground, Blackpool

Barnaby Parsons, Cinematograph Showman, (38), born Burnley, Lancs

In addition, there are pages of British Army WW1 Pension Records on ancestry for

Name: Barnaby Parsons

Birth Date: abt 1872

Birth Place: St Peter's, Lancs

Marriage Date: 3 July 1913

Marriage Place: Burnley

Regimental Number: 01167

Regiment Name: Army Ordnance Corps

Form Title: Army Reserve (Special Reservists) Attestation

Wow! That was quick...! Thanks very much for this, JP!

I just checked TNA's MIC index, and it shows him as ASC....?

I wonder if the marriage date of 1913 is a transcription error. I like the address, btw; "Show Caravan, Fair Ground, Blackpool". And the various birth-places of his wife and children tells the story of a travelling showman.......

The 1911 Census records that Barnaby and Eleanor were married 18 years, but I can't find a record of a marriage between1892-1895 for them. But, I did find this …...

Sarah Eleanor Beveridge - birth registered Apr-May-Jun 1867 in Colchester, Essex

Sarah Eleanor Beveridge - marriage registered Jan-Feb-Mar 1887 in Burnley, Lancs to Henry Pickthall. I can't find a record of a divorce but a death for a Henry Pickthall, born Burnley abt 1854, was registered Apr-May-Jun 1913 in Oldham. In 1911 he was living in Oldham.

So, it looks as if Barnaby and Sarah Eleanor lived together and married after Henry's death.

JP

A Barnaby Parsons married a Sarah Pickthall in sept 13 in Burnley

The 1911 Census records that Barnaby and Eleanor were married 18 years, but I can't find a record of a marriage between1892-1895 for them. But, I did find this ...

Sarah Eleanor Beveridge - birth registered Apr-May-Jun 1867 in Colchester, Essex

Sarah Eleanor Beveridge - marriage registered Jan-Feb-Mar 1887 in Burnley, Lancs to Henry Pickthall. I can't find a record of a divorce but a death for a Henry Pickthall, born Burnley abt 1854, was registered Apr-May-Jun 1913 in Oldham. In 1911 he was living in Oldham.

So, it looks as if Barnaby and Sarah Eleanor lived together and married after Henry's death

Thank you very much Craig and JP....! This makes the story so much more interesting! I wonder how common an arrangement like this was during the late Victorian/Edwardian era.......? Perhaps their presumably itinerant lifestyle made things easier.

I had a similar case from the early 20th C where when tracking down the roots for the 'wife' it turned out she had married in Cumbria and had kids but for whatever reason she had up and left and moved to a new area by herself. Her real husband listed himself as a widower on the later census forms. I have no idea if the new 'husband' knew anything of her past as if he did no-one else in family knew (or was willing to tell).

Craig

I had a similar case from the early 20th C where when tracking down the roots for the 'wife' it turned out she had married in Cumbria and had kids but for whatever reason she had up and left and moved to a new area by herself. Her real husband listed himself as a widower on the later census forms. I have no idea if the new 'husband' knew anything of her past as if he did no-one else in family knew (or was willing to tell).

Thanks for sharing this story, Craig. I suspect that there was plenty of that sort of thing going on. It was so much easier to 'disappear' in those days!

Divorce was not an option for the majority of the population in those days as it was so expensive.

Thanks JP, that makes a lot of sense. I guess that Eleanor and her 'real' husband simply lived separate lives until his death, at which point she'd have been free to marry. Maybe he refused to agree to a divorce - I'm not sure that a woman had the right to petition for divorce without the other party's agreement.

A very interesting story.

Just to tidy up the loose ends.

Barnaby Parsons birth registered Jul-Aug-Sep 1871, Burnley. Baptism 3 Sep 1871, St Peter's, Burnley. Father George Parsons. Mother Alice Ann. Barnaby Parsons death registered Mar 1945, Southport.

Sarah E Parsons death registered Jun 1946, Southport.

JP

Just to tidy up the loose ends.

Barnaby Parsons birth registered Jul-Aug-Sep 1871, Burnley. Baptism 3 Sep 1871, St Peter's, Burnley. Father George Parsons. Mother Alice Ann. Barnaby Parsons death registered Mar 1945, Southport.

Sarah E Parsons death registered Jun 1946, Southport.

Many thanks for that! I found those postcards many many years ago, and always wanted to know a little more about them. I'll look up his service papers next time I'm in the local library. Thanks once again for your help with this, JP....!

Headgardener,

I too have Parsons Family postcards in my collection. To be honest, I always thought Sgt Parsons looked a bit long in the tooth, and was possibly a reservist. However, here (complete with insights into the British Newspaper Archive's standard of OCR software) is the text from two cuttings:

EMPIRE MUSIC HALL. Amongst the turns billed for the Empire Monday next, arc the popular Parsons Family, who have proved draw different parts tbk Their trillion the. propf song, seen a 'Britannia which Parsons take the pint ft Britannia, white the parts England, Scotland, Wales, soldiers, saiters, and boy scouts will taken bv,various members her We believe Madame Parsons can claim the distinction of being the only lady who has 'seven daughters performing on the stage. Her seven Little Lancashire Lasses being the only seven real sisters w : have performed together. The father—Sergeant B.' Parsons,'of the Armv O/driance was one of the first Kitchener's Army to he sent to France, but owing a breakdown health he was sent back, and at present serving in important capacity the Ordnance Depot at Burscough. The family have been very successful in raising money for war funds, their contributions up-to-date from the sale of their post-cards and music, totalling nearly Other artistes will include the famous four Seltinis, their original acrobatic noveltv potpourri act, including Willie Selbini, the famous acrobatic roller skate dancer; Inez and Pirn, featuring a clever lady gymnast; Marie McLean, vocalist; Bjllv eccentric comedian: Hewitt* the jesting fellow in cap and bells; and Charles Erard at the piano, ten turns-in ten minutes, who recently appeared by Royal Command,

Burnley News - Saturday 08 May 1915

empire music hall. Taking full advantage the spirit of the *ttenuous times through which we are now passing, the Parsons Family, who head the bill here this week, with the song seen a 44 Britannia's School," are being accorded the success which they thoroughly deserve. The family comprise Mrs. Parsons and her six daughters. They are a Burnley family who for years now have been entertaining the public various parts of the country. The father Sergeant wellknown his younger days Barney Parsons, who made name an entertainer in Burnley and district- was amongst the first to volunteer his services in the army last August, and has already seen active service France. Gn account breakdown in health has been transferred to the Army Ordnance Depdt at Btirscough. Meanwhile the family are touring the country, meeting with success upon success. each performance music and photographs are for charitable purposes, by which means to the present nearly has been raised. The money thus earned. m Burnley this week will be handed over to the management on Saturday night to.be forwarded the proper quarters for distribution through the relief agencies. The turn presented this family is of thoroughly patriotic character, and the enthusiasm with which carried put is communicated the audience, Who, at every appearance, are whole-hearted in their appreciation. One the girls is a bom humorist. There holding her back, and she keeps the house an uproar. Mrs- Parsons appeals for support the purchase music, and incidentally claims that variety artistes, doctors and actresses, all over the country, are raising big sums of money for charities which they would unable without the support of the public. The Parsons Family, have unique claim tor support from the Burnley public, and they ought to nave the pleasure playing every evening to crowded bouses. Another turn which is at the top of its particular Tine that presented by the Four Seltinis, including Willie the acrobat roller-skate dancer. Their repertoire includes tumbling, dancing on roller-skates, hand-balancing, somersaulting, walking on the hands, Sx., Sic., a rich vein humour permeating the whole. Inez and Pim, lady and gentleman, give a capital performance the horizontal bars and swinging trapeze: Hewitt, comedian, gives a turn comprising singing, ventriloquism, and elocution; while Marie McLean's best effort a patriotic song. Billy has a catchy stvle with him as eccentric comedian, and Charles ferard the piano, gives quiet but nevertheless pleasing turn. humorous picture, 44 Pimple the Kilties," completes a programme which is thoroughly deserving full measure of

Burnley News - Wednesday 12 May 1915

I too have Parsons Family postcards in my collection. To be honest, I always thought Sgt Parsons looked a bit long in the tooth, and was possibly a reservist. However, here (complete with insights into the British Newspaper Archive's standard of OCR software) is the text from two cuttings:

Kate - Thanks for posting this! As for Barnaby Parsons, he WAS a reservist according to the description of his service papers (see post #6), so you're right in thinking that he looked a little old for a regular enlistment. The newspaper reports appear to indicate that he served in France with the New Army (presumably 1915) - I haven't seen his MIC or service papers, but he certainly would have been a bit old for that (44, I believe).

As an aside, I love the various descriptions of the performers; "the famous acrobatic roller skate dancer", "a clever lady gymnast", "the jesting fellow in cap and bells" and "Hewitt, comedian, gives a turn comprising singing, ventriloquism, and elocution"....! You can keep Britain's Got Talent! THERE'S a show that I would like to have seen.....!

I have plenty more 'wartime entertainment' ephemera (photos of concert parties, musicians, actors, ventriloquists, and even a 'facial contortionist' from the ranks of the Gloucesters). Maybe I'll post a few more if there's any interest. Are there any open threads on here regarding concert parties and the like?

Kate - Thanks for posting this! As for Barnaby Parsons, he WAS a reservist according to the description of his service papers (see post #6), so you're right in thinking that he looked a little old for a regular enlistment. The newspaper reports appear to indicate that he served in France with the New Army (presumably 1915) - I haven't seen his MIC or service papers, but he certainly would have been a bit old for that (44, I believe).

As an aside, I love the various descriptions of the performers; "the famous acrobatic roller skate dancer", "a clever lady gymnast", "the jesting fellow in cap and bells" and "Hewitt, comedian, gives a turn comprising singing, ventriloquism, and elocution"....! You can keep Britain's Got Talent! THERE'S a show that I would like to have seen.....!

I have plenty more 'wartime entertainment' ephemera (photos of concert parties, musicians, actors, ventriloquists, and even a 'facial contortionist' from the ranks of the Gloucesters). Maybe I'll post a few more if there's any interest. Are there any open threads on here regarding concert parties and the like?

The service records mentioned in Post 6 show he declared himself as a painter and carpenter. He stated he had no prior service but was enlisted as a special reservist in Aug 14 and shipped off to France after a few months training. He served as a storeman.

He was discharged 7 Feb 1917.

Craig

The service records mentioned in Post 6 show he declared himself as a painter and carpenter. He stated he had no prior service but was enlisted as a special reservist in Aug 14 and shipped off to France after a few months training. He served as a storeman.

He was discharged 7 Feb 1917.

Thanks for posting, Craig. Very interesting - he had no previous service and, if he was baptized on 3 Sept 1872, he must have been only a few days short of his 43rd b'day, yet he managed to enlist in the SR (age limit for those without previous military service; 40). Maybe the AOC wasn't a particularly enticing option for the youngsters. I imagine they were flocking to the infantry.

I'm always a little cautious about believing the details on cards such as these because I've come across so many which are - shall we say - a little 'extravagant' in their claims. When I posted this thread I had a feeling that we were going to draw a blank, so I'm really pleased to have my suspicions allayed...!

He had 'requested' to be posted as a storeman so it's quite possible he was enlisted on special terms - certainly being in the AOC there were plenty of jobs to keep him away from the front and free up fit men.

Craig

He had 'requested' to be posted as a storeman so it's quite possible he was enlisted on special terms - certainly being in the AOC there were plenty of jobs to keep him away from the front and free up fit men.

True...! Interesting to hear that there appears to be something slightly different about the terms of his enlistment. A 'request' to be employed as a storeman seems rather unusual, as does the obvious flouting of the age restriction at a time at which there was no perceived shortage of recruits. I'm tempted to wonder whether he may have been employed in some way that related to his civilian occupation (cinematographer, according to the 1911 census) or perhaps set- or stage-building (hence 'carpenter and painter' according to his his army papers?). I'm definitely going to research this one further. Thanks again, Craig!

Barnaby was in court in Nov 1918 for fiddling his tickets to allegedly avoid tax.

I suspect that there's going to be an interesting story to be told regarding Barnaby and the Parsons Family!