Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonets for Collectors

shippingsteel

Thank you both s.s and Trajan ! I've found both of your posts on types, makers ect on bayonets very Intresting and feel very confident that both your combined and academic knowlage will be very helpfull in the future.

Thank you

Regards Nick

Nice collection. My top four favourite smells are freshly ground coffee, freshly cut grass, freshly baked bread and the distinctive smell of a freshly unsheathed bayonet blade.

The latter fact caused concerned looks from my librarian colleagues when I brought in a selection from my small collection to exhibit.

Any other blade sniffers out there??

Dave

Thank you both s.s and Trajan ! I've found both of your posts on types, makers ect on bayonets very Intresting and feel very confident that both your combined and academic knowlage will be very helpfull in the future.

Thanks Nick - SS certainly has a substantial and practical reference and so hands-on collection, I just do the more boring bookish learnin' side with a very limited collection, and it is the sharing of knowledge that counts - from all sides and from all of us!

Nice collection. My top four favourite smells are freshly ground coffee, freshly cut grass, freshly baked bread and the distinctive smell of a freshly unsheathed bayonet blade.

The latter fact caused concerned looks from my librarian colleagues when I brought in a selection from my small collection to exhibit.

Any other blade sniffers out there??

Hmmm, yes, there is something about the smell of gun-oil and the sight of a newly glisten' blade that beats even bacon... I am working in Istanbul for a week but straight back to the UK afterwards with no chance to get home to see my bayonets or books... But I will see something soon (a Berthier II) that I trust will help incipient withdrawal problems...

Yes that's right Dave, there is nothing like the smell of gun-oil in the ... well actually anytime, haha.! :D (Getting out the cleaning gear is definitely one of my favourite jobs.!)

One of my main considerations when selecting an oil is that it has to smell right. Must admit I do enjoy the smell when opening a drawer of freshly cleaned & oiled bayonets. :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Yes that's right Dave, there is nothing like the smell of gun-oil in the ... well actually anytime, haha.! :D (Getting out the cleaning gear is definitely one of my favourite jobs.!)

Be careful, now SS - some people might get the wrong idea! :ph34r: Try googling 'Amazon gun oil', as I did last week, when trying to find a supply in the UK, and something rather odd came up... :whistle:

Be careful, now SS - some people might get the wrong idea! :ph34r: Try googling 'Amazon gun oil', as I did last week, when trying to find a supply in the UK, and something rather odd came up... :whistle:

Can't seem to replicate your search results Trajan, I'm relieved!

Anyway I'm pleased to know I'm not alone, and yes S>S I did have Robert Duvall in my mind briefly.

Now. Back to bayonets!

Dave

Can't seem to replicate your search results Trajan, I'm relieved!

Anyway I'm pleased to know I'm not alone, and yes S>S I did have Robert Duvall in my mind briefly.

Now. Back to bayonets!

Dave

Yes, indeed, back to bayonets, cleaning thereof... Seriously, I know a professional sword-blade cleaner in London (at it for over 40 years) who actually swears by starting the process using water (not oil!), with fine emery paper and then to steel wool, finishing with Autosol and a very gentle rub down, followed by gun oil for resisting rust, etc...

SS - time for some more bayonets please!

Trajan

PS: Wasn't it in an old Police Academy film, "You smell gooood. What's the cologne?" - "Gun oil..."?

PPS: No, dave, not going to send a link to what I got from googling gun-oil - this is SS's thread (and also a family page!).

That says it all really ... anyone who needs to google where to buy gun-oil is in the wrong business, or certainly in the wrong place. Trajan, why don't you go spam someone else's thread. :glare:

Well, SS, gun shops are two-a-penny in Turkey, so no problem when I am there, but they are not that common in the UK where I have been working recently, the nearest one to Oxford being some 20 km away, and I don't have transport... Hence the need for an Amazon! As for 'spamming', well, I was simply trying to follow up in the same humorous vein the comments made by you and Dave on the smelling of gun-oil - sorry if you didn't quite get that message!

Seasonal greetings! :thumbsup:

Trajan

Merry Christmas to all the forum’s bayonet devotees, weaponry enthusiasts and other assorted militaria collectors alike … I do not discriminate.! :P

For those of you who may have missed out on getting that nice glossy hardcover book on Bayonets that you were wishing for … then I am terribly sorry.

Sadly, I am afraid that this is all I’ve got for you. -_-

Some recycled photos of another post-cleaning photo session, taken over 3 and a half years ago.!

On the bright side, if you get bored over the holidays you can always take on the quiz to test your knowledge (twenty questions an' all.!) :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Nice set there! I'll have another look when back from the day's visits - we depart in 5 minutes... I guess from the superlative condition of some these that they got dropped at the back of the stores to be found years later, or perhaps were even parade issue?

SS

Many thanks for sharing more bayonets from your collection with us - it doesn't seem like over three years since that quiz!

Trajan

Re condition, once upon a time (not a fairy story) the majority of WW1 bayonets we found were in very good shape but that was because it was only 40 odd years since many of them had been made. Attached is a photo of the first bayonet I ever bought, an S 84/98 mS, that was in 1956 when it cost me 15/- (75 pence) still in my collection and just as purchased! (it has been dusted)

post-97-0-86220300-1419448819_thumb.jpg

Happy Christmas All

Mike

Mike, that is a lovely specimen that you have there! I wish I had started collecting that early! I had lots of WWII stuff in the late 50's and early 60's but no WWI until about 8 years back. And most of what I find is battered and used, and so loveable as weapons that saw real service, even if it was only opening cans of milk! But it it is also nice to get the odd one in excellent condition like your and SS's, really good display pieces, and in fact a rather nice and rare WW1 service bayonet that hasn't seen much use has just come my way, so rare a piece that there may have only been 500 examples made... But this is SS's thread - so mustn't piggy back, and all will be revealed elsewhere! So, see now: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222533

And many seasonal greetings one and all from the land of St.Nick!

Hi,

from my collection

2 sawback Ersatz bayonets:

Ersatz S98/05

and the Ersatz for the Belgian modèle 1889 rifle, with full muzzle ring

regards,

Cnock

post-7723-0-05571100-1419863803_thumb.jp

Sawback 98/05 Alter Art

Sawback 98/05 Neuer Art

Sawback removed

regards,

Cnock

post-7723-0-59112900-1419864083_thumb.jp

Markings on back Sawback Alter Art and Sawback Neur Art

Cnock

post-7723-0-05923700-1419868989_thumb.jp

post-7723-0-31648100-1419869005_thumb.jp

sawback removed: additional marking added

PS. used to have several sawbacks with no markings (year, cown, etc.) on back, only manufacturer was mentioned.

regards,

Cnock

post-7723-0-88298000-1419869135_thumb.jp

Some very nice sawback bayonets posted above. Mike, I think you may have started something here.! And good to hear from you again (yes, the quiz) :thumbsup:

For me, I think the high-eared sawback S98/05 rates right up there with a regiment marked hooked quillon P1907. Both 'early', 'original' and unmodified.!

From memory I believe there are a couple of those in my pile awaiting inspection and cleaning. Unfortunately chores have intervened - bayonets must wait. :(

Cheers, S>S

2 sawback Ersatz bayonets:

Ersatz S98/05

and the Ersatz for the Belgian modèle 1889 rifle, with full muzzle ring

Outstanding examples of rare items there! Many congratulations!

sawback removed: additional marking added

PS. used to have several sawbacks with no markings (year, cown, etc.) on back, only manufacturer was mentioned.

regards,

Now that mark is interesting! A proof mark added after the saw was removed! I also have a sawback 98/05 with no spine markings, but also with no ricasso marking, although it does have the proof marks on the pommel. I have also just spotted a 'Turked' 98/04 with an intact saw, something I have not come across before - but this is SS's threads so I'll deal with that later and elsewhere.

Trajan,

thanks!

the sawbacks I had without spine markings always had the proof marks on the pommel.(forgot to mention)

regards,

Cnock