Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wanted - Deactivated WWI SMLE rifle

withcall

Thanks for the advice about the oil Beerhunter. I sometimes think there is scope for a forum expert to write a "Beginners Guide to the care of Deacts and Militaria". I would certainly buy it.

I think, on reflection, it was our local police fire arms licensing officer who suggested to me it is good practice to carry the deact cert with the gun if taken out of the house. (to help police officers unfamiliar with old guns) My deacts always stay on the wall!

Yperman.

Another local lad on Forum MikB - used to live in Rottingdean and as you say everything outside quickly developed a patina of rust. Would recommend a light coating of oil on display items myself.

Tim

Storage and preservation of my rifles is a constant concern. Where I am the summers are hot and humid and the winters very cold so climate control etc in the secure storage is an issue.

I have always wiped the exposed metal surfaces over with a high grade machine oil/gun oil and so far have not had a significant issue with rust (I have on occasion found a light surface powder on one particular enfield - which is hard to explain when none of the others alongside it have suffered).

I have not found the oil to be a "dust magnet" the wipe down I give the rifle leaves just the barest of bare residues but that seems sufficient to prevent rust despite wide temperature/humidity variation (I run a dehumidifier in the storage and try to keep air circulating)

As most of my rifles are not deactivated I also run an oiled patch through the bore prior to storage but clean them thoroughly before and after use.

Chris

As most of my rifles are not deactivated I also run an oiled patch through the bore prior to storage but clean them thoroughly before and after use.

SOP in the British Army.

Just to say thanks to everyone who has replied to my original post. Thanks to one member getting in touch, I now have my SMLE via a private sale, and very nice it is too. Once again, your help is much appreciated.