Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform, Insignia, and Cap ID

TheFonz

Unfortunately 89 Field Ambulance War Diaries have not yet been digitized at National Archives, but can be ordered. Whilst men are not often named and we cannot be certain this was his unit you might get lucky. The NA do not hold 33 Field Ambulance diaries for their time at Gallipoli.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7357756

Rgds

Tim D

In regards to Frederick being taken as a prisoner of war, it looks like his position was simply overrun. According to the ICRC, he was taken prisoner on May 27, 1918 at Chemin des Dames, France, which was the main flashpoint for the start of the third German spring offensive and the Third Battle of the Aisne. On May 27, the Germans opened up with a massive bombardment, and followed that up with a gas attack. After that, they moved in and exploited a 40 kilometer weak point in the Allied lines.

This is the last photo I have of them in uniform. Standing in the back is Frederick and Albert. Seated, from left to right, is Harold, young Albert, Alice Maud Cutts, and Clifford (my wife's grandfather).

0003_zpsab43c357.jpg

Ah,ha - I can seen the General Service pattern button with scarlet cloth backing being worn as a cap badge - therefore Frederick served in a Training Reserve Battalion prior to posting to the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Ah,ha - I can seen the General Service pattern button with scarlet cloth backing being worn as a cap badge - therefore Frederick served in a Training Reserve Battalion prior to posting to the Northumberland Fusiliers.

I also noticed that their belt buckles are different. I don't know if this means anything significant.

I also noticed that their belt buckles are different. I don't know if this means anything significant.

Not significantly during this period of time - it's just a pity we're not able to see either upper arm as he would have been wearing a cloth numeral telling us which T.R.Brigade he served with.

I *might* have another picture of him in uniform...there is another that I've seen before but I don't know if I have it saved on my computer at home. I'll have to check tonight.

EDIT: I did find the photo! I can't tell if anything is there, and when I try to enlarge it, it becomes too pixelated.

0008_zps46c112d6.jpg

I was able to speak briefly with my father-in-law this morning, He had no idea about his grandfather being wounded. As with a lot of veterans, he said his grandfather didn't say much about the war, and as a kid, he didn't think to ask much. He does remember a time or two of seeing his grandfather wear his medals either for ANZAC or Armistice Day, and that his grandmother saved a bunch of postcards that were sent to her from France. My father-in-law said that he said he has no idea where those things are now, but he will talk to some cousins when he sees them at Christmastime and see if any of them remember or know. As for his Uncle Fred, my father-in-law says that the only thing he can remember him saying about being a POW is that they ate whatever they could find. Perhaps at Christmas he may get more information from Fred's son, whom I never met.

Did you have a look at my last post previous page Brian?

I think it probably gives some good pointers as to Albert's units. The fact he was wounded also suggests he didn't spend the whole war far behind the lines at a Hospital or Infantry Base Depot. As a reinforcement to Gallipoli I think there was a fair chance he initially worked with a Field Ambulance and may well have done the same in France before ending the war at C Infantry Base Depot.

If you look here, some good information that suggests there were RAMC barbers on strength of a FA. I wonder if anyone has ORBATs for other types of RAMC manned units.

http://www.1914-1918.net/fieldambulances.htm

Rgds

Tim D

Did you have a look at my last post previous page Brian?

I think it probably gives some good pointers as to Albert's units. The fact he was wounded also suggests he didn't spend the whole war far behind the lines at a Hospital or Infantry Base Depot. As a reinforcement to Gallipoli I think there was a fair chance he initially worked with a Field Ambulance and may well have done the same in France before ending the war at C Infantry Base Depot.

If you look here, some good information that suggests there were RAMC barbers on strength of a FA. I wonder if anyone has ORBATs for other types of RAMC manned units.

http://www.1914-1918.net/fieldambulances.htm

Rgds

Tim D

I did see it, and I thank you. I've haven't had much time, though in the last couple of evenings to look too deep into it. I'll have a dig around this weekend, and may be able to make a longer phone call to my father-in-law in Australia. I'm also going to see what he might know about a great-uncle of his on his grandmother's side that was killed in 1916.

• 5 months later...
Guest bigbog23

Just came across this post. My grandfather was Frederick Goldsmith Eddison, it is great to see all the work you guys have put into this. Alot information in there that i didnt know. One of my cousins has Fredericks and Alberts world war one medals. I also have been looking onto their history, and have found copys of what war medals they recieved.post-121509-0-76698600-1428530200_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest meddison

Hello my name is David Matthew Eddison,great grandson of Albert Edward Eddison.

My father is the eldest son of Clifford Eddison,Alberts youngest child.

Albert landed at Suvla bay,with the 89th RAMC coinciding with Gallipoli.

My father married and lived in Alberts house and talked much with him about the war.

When Albert died ( early 60's) my father bought his house.

When my grandfather died some items were passed on to me from Albert.

A wooden book with a pivoting draw inlaid with brass metal rope and brass diamond shapes.

Inside was an old bandaid tin which contained two of Alberts swimming pendants(he was a Leeds swimming champion). Also a fog watch which he won as a swimming prize.

He Albert was given the Leeds swimming shield,which I'm aware of its whereabouts.

A pacific star( not engraved and without a ribbon)was present

Alberts son Clifford fitted out troop carrying ships in Sydney, and its been suggested he received this for his noncombat effort.

Albert brought to Australia a WW1 tank model cast and two mounted bomb heads.

One Turkish and the other German,according to my father Victor George Eddison.

I'll post some pictures later.

Regards Matthew Eddison

Guest meddison

Hello my name is David Matthew Eddison,great grandson of Albert Edward Eddison.

My father is the eldest son of Clifford Eddison,Alberts youngest child.

Albert landed at Suvla bay,with the 89th RAMC coinciding with Gallipoli.

My father married and lived in Alberts house and talked much with him about the war.

When Albert died ( early 60's) my father bought his house.

When my grandfather died some items were passed on to me from Albert.

A wooden book with a pivoting draw inlaid with brass metal rope and brass diamond shapes.

Inside was an old bandaid tin which contained two of Alberts swimming pendants(he was a Leeds swimming champion). Also a fog watch which he won as a swimming prize.

He Albert was given the Leeds swimming shield,which I'm aware of its whereabouts.

A pacific star( not engraved and without a ribbon)was present

Alberts son Clifford fitted out troop carrying ships in Sydney, and its been suggested he received this for his noncombat effort.

Albert brought to Australia a WW1 tank model cast and two mounted bomb heads.

One Turkish and the other German,according to my father Victor George Eddison.

I'll post some pictures later.

Regards Matthew Eddison