Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli : Turkish Quinn's DESTROYED

Guest CGI

This map may give a more accurate idea of the position of the parking lot. Just look at the extent of the damage done by the construction of this masterpiece of historical awareness.

post-7-1105571083.jpg

The people who do this do not give a sh*t for the courage or memory of ANZAC or Turkish heros. Remember that fact the next time these vandals stand for office. Hurt them by robbing them of their power.

I have to agree with Michael and Neil's views earlier in the thread. I don't know the area but I would guess space is at a premium and where ever the authorities wanted to put this car park would cause problems.

The fact is these facilities are needed and that demand is created by people like us visiting these sites ( I am sure there would be complaints from some people if there wasn't a car park-dammed if you do and dammed if you don't) . l

Looking at the photographs on this thread of the new car park I would say it has probably done minimal damage to the trenches in this area. These trenches are deep features (6-7 feet deep?) and the foundation for the car park only looks to have down about 1.5 feet at the most-probably only just through the topsoil if that.

I will now take cover!

Cheers

Dominic

"The fact is these facilities are needed and that demand is created by people like us visiting these sites"

. First of all, you can't design any historical place, specially any point in the heritage category, after the demand of the visitors.

. In the whole world, special areas are protected with strict reglementation and the people, after parking their cars somewhere far away, is walking until they reached to the main interest point.

. The problem is not in the deepness of the construction. The authorities, making totally flat the area, are destroyed the historical tissue.

. Ironically, the people is visiting now the fake Turkish cemetery, after parking their cars just top of the real trenches.

. After the point of wiew even pure technic, the new car park is very risky!

. The soil of the Gallipoli is so weak and under the car park that's full of galleries. And not 5-6 feets, but more.

. So don't park here.

. The same risk is also real for the old car parking just in the face of 57th. Regiment Cemetery (west side of the Chessboard)

. And finally, they are preparing to make a new car parking in Chunukbair also!

Yes; after the demand of the visitors.

Domsim,

You wrote : "Looking at the photographs on this thread of the new car park I would say it has probably done minimal damage to the trenches in this area. These trenches are deep features (6-7 feet deep?) and the foundation for the car park only looks to have down about 1.5 feet at the most-probably only just through the topsoil if that."

Yes, of course. This is probably the strongest argument I have ever heard for painting the ceiling of the Sixtine Chapel in Rome white. It would look ever so clean and no damage done.

CGI

'Yes, of course. This is probably the strongest argument I have ever heard for painting the ceiling of the Sixtine Chapel in Rome white. It would look ever so clean and no damage done.

CGI'

Eh????!!!-I never even mentioned the Cistine Chapel!

Taking your arguement to its logical conclusion the Cistine Chapel itself should not have been built, because to do so they destroyed and buried a lot of Roman archaeology on the Vatican Hill!

Cheers

Dominic

"Taking your arguement to its logical conclusion the Cistine Chapel itself should not have been built, because to do so they destroyed and buried a lot of Roman archaeology on the Vatican Hill!"

Taking your argument to its logical conclusion: Cistine Chapel = Car Parking

Jul, I understand your frustrations in this matter. And if something is built at a site like this, it should be done with great care and respect. But then again: how would the Ypres Salient look nowadays (to name just one battle-area) if they pretty much had left it as it was in 1918?

regards

Roel

• 4 weeks later...

Roel,

A valuable reply. But perhaps you might also ask yourself the pertinent question : "What places do visitors to the Ypres Salient especially want to visit, apart from the cemeteries?" Why precisely Hill 60? Or Bayernwald?

Why do people visit places like Hastings, Oradour sur Glane, Luxor, Beaumont Hamel?

You cannot preserve everything of course, but it's all a question of common sense : if we keep squandering the little that is left from the past, the way we are used to now, I'm afraid future generations will have even more difficulties to imagine what the past was really like. And probably get even more indifferent than they are now already. And who could blame them?

Preservation of historical sites is far too important an issue to be decided upon only by project developers who often do not see any farther than their own immediate profit.

And you can be sure of one thing : in a perhaps distant future, people will still be interested in a place that was once called Pompei, but much less in a strip of asphalt where long ago a Toyota Celica left some oil marks.

CGI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a shame. But it's nice to know I'll have somewhere convenient to park my car without all those pesky Turkish trench-lines getting in the way...

(Please note sarcasm before replying.)

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the ordinary Turks dont know the exact places of the martyr burial places (şüheda kabristan). Only histrorians and hobbists do. as a Turk I was shocked when I first heard the parking lot thing since it was an insult not to Allied forces but Turkish forces since the parking lot is neigbor to an original martyr ground.

Really sad

• 3 weeks later...

It's an insult to both Allied and Ottoman forces.

Turks, Australians, and New Zealanders died fighting during raids on the trenches of Turkish Quinn's.

British marines, as well as all the above, died fighting in Wire Gully to the immediate south and on the slopes of Baby 700 just north.

Dominic, I don't see what difference the depth of trenches makes when you cover them with cement.

Baby 700; fascinating photo of the Turkish Quinn's garrison. The photo of the officer I use here is Major Quinn, dressed in his pre-war militia uniform.

What I am wondering, is what are those soldiers of 1915 saying,as they look down from above, on all this tourist driven desicration of the places they and their mates died?

As an aside. Most world heritage sites now ban vehicles and you walk miles along boards to see the sites. Too late for some Gallipoli sites but maybe for the future?