Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Lincolnshire Regiment Casualties - Grimsby Chums

temptage

I am seeking anyone who has done any research into the Grimsby Chums in general, or maybe just researched an individual who served and died with the 10th Lincolnshire Regiment.

I have had a very exciting offer regarding the Chums, but it is something which I would find to be very difficult to carry through on my own, which is why I am looking for help, no matter how little, from anyone who feels they would be willing to help.

If you know anyone on GWF who has an interest in the Chums but who may not 'follow' the Units and Formations thread, I would appreciate it if you could point them toward this thread.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

I think we have been in contact before. We have 3 Chums on local memorials who were killed on 1st July 1916 and another killed in August 1917. I don't know how much help we can offer, but we have been able to locate the homes of these 4, and visited Lochnagar this year.

Regards

Dave

Please, ask away!

I have researched a number of the original men and some who were attached to the battalion from other county units or from other Lincolnshire battalions.

I am at present looking at a chap from Gainsborough, Ernest Godson 694 wounded on the 1st July, 1916.

RW

My Grandfather served with the 10th Lincs. He was transferred to them after being badly gassed by phosgene whilst serving with 1/8th Worcesters in July 1916. He remained with them through Arras - wounded 9 April 1917 on the Point de Jour - and wounded again at Passchendale. He finished the last few months of the war at the RE Horse Transport Depot, Aldershot, having been transferred from the Chums - with varicose veins!

What is this offer please?

TR

Several years ago I researched our village memorial, Pelsall (then in South Staffs). One of the lads commemorated served and died in the Chums battalion. He was 43624 Pte George Jeffries who was

killed in action assaulting Roeux Chemical Works on 28th April 1917. I have plenty of info on him if you would like it.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have any photos of any of the Chums who died in the Great War?

p m sent.

RW

• 1 year later...

This may help:-

From the Gainsborough News

GN 28.7.16

MORTON

Pte. E. Godson, son of Mr. Godson, Mr. Forrest’s gardener at Morton, has been seriously wounded in the body and now lies in a precarious condition in hospital at Oxford. From a telegram received yesterday grave fears are entertained of his recovery, another urgent operation having being performed.

GN 13.10.16

THE KING AND A MORTON SOLDIER

We regret to learn that Private Godson, of the Lincolns, is still in a Military Hospital at Oxford, and although he has undergone several operations, his condition still caused great anxiety.

His case has greatly interested the doctors, so much so, that on the occasion of King George’s recent visit to the Hospital, His Majesty’s attention was specially directed to the case, and he spoke most kindly to Godson, and asked him several questions, and left him with the remark “I am so sorry for you my dear fellow.”

Peter

Peter, thank you. I have plenty of details for a lot of men now. My next project is finding photos of anone who served in the Grimsby Chums, whether they died or survived. If you come across any I would appreciate it if you could let me have a copy. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This may help:-

From the Gainsborough News

GN 28.7.16

MORTON

Pte. E. Godson, son of Mr. Godson, Mr. Forrest’s gardener at Morton, has been seriously wounded in the body and now lies in a precarious condition in hospital at Oxford. From a telegram received yesterday grave fears are entertained of his recovery, another urgent operation having being performed.

GN 13.10.16

THE KING AND A MORTON SOLDIER

We regret to learn that Private Godson, of the Lincolns, is still in a Military Hospital at Oxford, and although he has undergone several operations, his condition still caused great anxiety.

His case has greatly interested the doctors, so much so, that on the occasion of King George’s recent visit to the Hospital, His Majesty’s attention was specially directed to the case, and he spoke most kindly to Godson, and asked him several questions, and left him with the remark “I am so sorry for you my dear fellow.”

Peter

Peter

Have you got a digital copy of the original cutting?

Richard

• 1 year later...

Yes i did as it happens. Someone tipped me off to look in the original newspapers of the day, as well as some books about the Chums. Over the years I have had several people send me private family photos of men who served in the Chums too, not seen previously by anyone other than the family.

In total I have 109 photos of men who survived, and 153 of men who paid the ultimate price. I would like to think I have the largest collection of photos of Grimsby Chum's members anywhere.

Hi Temptage

Here is another one for you from my village Corby Glen. He was one of the original Chums.  He was badly wounded and captured at Oppy in 1917 and exchanged in Switzerland in 1918.

See my post

Chris

TFP.png

Thanks for that Chris. He was one that I didnt have.

• 7 months later...

My Great Grandfather fought with the 10 Bn. Lincolnshire Regiment. (Service No. 40566)

He was transferred from the South Staffordshire Regiment and was killed on 28th April 1917. He is buried at Roeux British Cemetery, Pas du Calais near Arras.

Would any member have information on which battle he was likely to have been killed in - Battle of Arras - Scarpe 2 or Bullecort?

Any help or assistance would be great, as I plan to take my father who is 90 this year to trace the footsteps of his Grandfather.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I have this on him

A native of Bloxwich, William was the eldest son of Joseph Henry and Eliza (née Pritchards) Gee of 55 and later 20, Bell Lane, Bloxwich, his father being employed as a bricklayer.

He was married to Sarah Ann Pond at Walsall in 1900 and then resided at 27, Cope Street, Leamore, there being five children to the marriage, and was employed as a bricklayer for Mr. S. Wootton of Bloxwich.

Enlisting in the Army at Lichfield in July 1916, William served initially in the 1/6th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment with regimental number 2286 but transferred to the Lincolnshire Regiment after being drafted to France where he served as a Lewis gunner.

William’s battalion was given the objective of capturing the village of Rœux and began their attack at 4.25am on the morning of his death. The battalion followed behind a very poor barrage which was of no use whatsoever as it fell far to the rear of the enemy positions. They were immediately met by strong machine gun fire which, by 5.15am, had halted the advance. Several enemy trenches were captured but proved difficult to defend due to the huge loss the battalion had already suffered. The Germans made a slight counter attack and captured about 30 men, most of whom had been wounded. The battalion attempted to hold onto their gains in the face of German counter attacks and severe fighting took place until, at 12.30pm, they were repulsed and consolidation commenced.

Casualties amounted to 3 officers killed, 6 missing and 3 wounded with 420 other ranks killed, wounded or missing.

The War Diary (in part) records,

“28 April 1917

4,25am. Zero Hour.  The companies appeared to start well but were very soon met by intense machine gun fire and casualties were very numerous. A large number of dead were seen on the ground later on. The machine gun fire came mainly from Château enfilading our front, also from a house along the road to Chemical Works while Clip Trench was strongly manned and the houses round  Cemetery full of enemy.

5.15am. The situation at this time……was the furthest point reached in the attack.

5.30am. The enemy came out of his trenches and from houses in strength and began to surround the men in shell holes, some endeavouring to get back, but were mostly shot down, while about 30 nearly all wounded were seen to surrender.

7am. By this time about 40 men had been collected in Ceylon and touch was established with Suffolks on left. The Lincolns manned Ceylon from Corona inclusive to the south west. There were no other troops in Ceylon.

8am. Men were seen to be coming back from the east of the wood and soon afterwards the enemy’s infantry appeared from dead ground near Roeux to counter attack. The advance was covered by heavy machine gun fire from Chateau and artillery fire on MT Pleasant Wood which seems to be the objective of the attack. The party in Ceylon showed signs of unsteadiness but they fought well holding their trench throughout. As the attack developed it was met by Lewis gun and rifle fire from the 20th N.F. in Cusp and Lincolns in Ceylon. This fire broke up each flank of the attack.

The 20th N.F. organised bombing parties up Ceylon and Cusp and Lincolns down Ceylon. This party killed the N.C.O. in charge of the enemy’s party and the remainder ran back from Ceylon into the wood. The situation was cleared up by 12.30pm when touch was established with the reserve line and the Lincoln garrison in Ceylon strengthened by collecting all Lincolns that could be found.

The remainder of the day passed quietly except for bursts of shelling on reserve line. Lincolns retained their position in Ceylon.”

William is buried at Rœux British Cemetery in Grave D.58 and is also commemorated on the Walsall and Bloxwich rolls of honour and on the roll of honour at Christ Church, Blakenall Heath. He was 38 years of age.

Is the above correct in regard to his family ? What were his children's names ?

Do you have a better picture of him ?

When you visit can you take a decent headstone picture that I can have, please,

Regards,

Graeme

gee wr.jpg

I drove all the way to the entrance of Roeux British Cemetery today. What a rollercoaster. Halfway down I said loudly to myself "This is not a good idea", but I couldnt stop as I ddnt want to try to reverse back up it. Sloppy mud everywhere and twice nearly took my exhaust off. Its not an easy walk if you don't want to/cant drive down the little lane.

13 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi Neil,

Is the above correct in regard to his family ? What were his children's names ?

Do you have a better picture of him ?

When you visit can you take a decent headstone picture that I can have, please,

Regards,

Graeme

gee wr.jpg

Graeme,

Thank you so much for this fantastic piece of information.

Family Information:

William Gee was married to my Great Grandmother Sarah Ann Pound.

They had five children : Annie 1902, William 1905, Maud 1906, Elsie May 1908 (My Grandmother), Martha 1910, and Renee the youngest.

I will take a picture of the Gravestone and post it to you.

2126151712_Grave_Registration_Report_Form-D58_003.JPG.9a6ea577835d4928ca4d3bdbe3f68a6b.JPG

The only picture that I have of him is this, with his wife Sarah:

1844280946_GreatGrandparentsSarahandWilliamGee.jpg.9f93d8face2f345377275f081a0ed6ec.jpg 

873909693_GreatGrandfatherWilliamGee.jpg.cf9f5488233b3e80339c4ee0bbc72316.jpg

Thank you again for the valuable information - so very much appreciated.

Neil

Edited by Wolfpack17

1 hour ago, temptage said:

I drove all the way to the entrance of Roeux British Cemetery today. What a rollercoaster. Halfway down I said loudly to myself "This is not a good idea", but I couldnt stop as I ddnt want to try to reverse back up it. Sloppy mud everywhere and twice nearly took my exhaust off. Its not an easy walk if you don't want to/cant drive down the little lane.

Thank you for the Information. I plan to go in Sept/October this year - hopefully the weather will be kind to us. My father is 89 and relatively fit, but.... How far would it be to walk to the Cemetery and how suitable for a 89 year old?

Neil

Morning,

Glad to help.

Many thanks for the picture you posted and the info re his family.

As you can see Temptage visited the cemetery yesterday to get a headstone pic for me so do not worry about that. Hopefully he will reply to you re the cemetery, but I think they have had some considerable rain recently which may have caused him problems.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Tony,

Hope the trip is proceeding well.

Many thanks for the picture, appreciate your problems.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

Morning Neil,

He is commemorated in  a leather bound book held by the LHC, on the brass plaques in Walsall Town Hall, on Christchurch RoH and on Bloxwich Roh.

Ive attached pics for you

Regards,

Graeme

DSCF0970 a.jpg

DSCF1043.JPG

Christchurch.jpg

Bloxwich.JPG

Edited by GraemeClarke

• 5 months later...

My grandfather Edward Veal Wetherell joined the Grimsby Chums on 21st September 1914 and had the service number 341. I have been entrusted with a number of items connected to his service.  These include a letter to his mother dated 30th October 1917. It is written in pencil and advises her that he had been missing since the night of the  24th and was believed to be seriously wounded - begins by "it is with greatest grief".The signature is hard to read but might be 2nd Lt Hack. Could anyone tell me which battle this would have been? I also have his certificate of discharge after serving a total of 4 years and 266 days - mid 1919. It lists his wounds being "nicks" to right heel, right thigh and head. I would be very interested where he might have fought during the war in order to pass on to my son as much information as possible about his great grandfather.

My Grandfather Sergeant Lawrence Gordon Coe was with A Company 10th Lincolns at Roeux on the 28th April 1917, where he was wounded in the head (losing his left eye) during action, latter being taken prisoner and sent initially  to Langensalza POW camp, he was eventually  due to his wounds interned in Switzerland.

At commencement of hostilities he joined the 4th Battalion Ox and Bucks  and rose to be a sergeant, I have no details as to when he was transferred. Into the Lincolns. He is recorded as being sergeant in both regiments in a publication produced in 1919 of all personnel who served in the war and who worked for London County Council.

Lawrence was born in 1889 

COE_Lawrence_Gordon_medium.jpg

Edited by Guest
Added middle name

• 3 weeks later...

Theres a high probability that he transferred at some point after 1st July 1916 when the Grimsby Chums were decimated near Lochnagar Crater. From their original 1000+ men who went over the top, little more than 200 were left standing by the end of the day, the majority of those being OR's. Men were transferred from other Regiments to make up numbers, so Sergeants would have been needed. It may not have happened straight away, as they could have lost more in the following months before the 28th April 1917.