Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On Neuve-Chapelle Indian memorial yet died at home

Liz in Eastbourne

Just to keep everyone posted, Michael has kindly (after we sorted out email problems) sent me a scan of the Indian memorial to Captain Ovans.

Chris Harley is checking cemeteries in Winchester for his grave, so that the CWGC can be informed that there has been an error in his commemoration.

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

May I suggest you check the Indian Army List for 1914 (it was a quarterly publication) as it may indicate if he had been sent back to the UK on a medical certificate before the war.

It so happens another IA officer I have researched died during the war died in those circumstances - sent home due to illness before the war and died home during the war. He was a non-commemoration for many years until this was addressed a few years back.

Matthew

Thanks, Matthew. Would this make a difference to his commemoration by the CWGC? This is going to change when the CWGC receive the evidence of Capt. Ovans' death at home in that he is no longer one of the missing as implied by his commemoration on the Neuve-Chapelle memorial, but I assumed he would still be commemorated.

His half-pay was only announced in the Gazette just after his death (as posted earlier), which I thought meant he had not long left active service.

Chris tells me he has found the grave and is awaiting documentation.

I confess I am unlikely to check the Indian Army list at present because I am very busy with other work, but if anyone else has it to hand...

Liz

Liz,

I think it will help with proving the non-commemoration. If he can be shown as an active officer, all be it probably away from his regiment on an m.c. (medical certificate - that the term they used in the Indian Army list with officers on sick leave) and not an ex-officer it helps cement his claim to CWGC commemoration. I am away from my books so I cannot help with the research. Good luck!

Just my thoughts.

Matthew

Thanks, Matthew

If you look at the earlier part of the thread, though, you'll see he's not uncommemorated, he's wrongly commemorated. It doesn't seem to be in dispute that he was on active service, but on sick leave, hence the Gazette entry mentioned previously, I hope Chris will be able to advise when he has the documentation re the grave in Winchester, as he has so much experience with the CWGC, non-comms, wrong-comms etc.

Liz

Afternoon All

Just awaiting the burial register page to arrive. I have been informed that he is buried at Winchester West Hill Cemetery.

Chris

Burial register has arrived & I will get this passed on to CWGC. No grave ref on the record, but have had this problem before with Winchester as this was a church run cemetery at the time in question.

Thanks, Chris.

Will they need other evidence to prove he was nevertheless on active service in France when he was taken ill and returned home?

Liz

Liz

no need for additonal evidence. CWGC have already accepted him as a casualty of the Great War so this will just be a simple case of moving his place of commemoration.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. That's what I would have expected - just wanted to check, in view of Matthew's comments. It'll be good to have the error corrected.

Liz

• 1 month later...
Guest JaneMorrison

Jane

I am interested in this topic as Edward Ovans was my paternal grandfather. He married Marjorie Harington from Eastbourne and had one son, my father, Michael Edward Hornby Ovans. He died aged 32 in this country from diabetes but unfortunately I don't know where he was buried. Marjorie Harington remarried Alan Redfern., my step-grandfather, a veteran of the Boer war, and they produced 2 more sons. Unfortunately both died young, Tim flying in the second World War and Barry from epilepsy. Marjorie Harington died aged 36 and therefore my brother Patrick Michael Hornby Ovans and myself, Elizabeth Marjorie Jane Morrison(nee Ovans) and our children are the only direct descendants of Edward. We have been doing some family research which was complicated by the fact that everybody died so young but i'm afraid Colonel Ovans and the Rajah of Satara is a lifetime project for someone as the relevant documents are extremely wordy. He did however commit suicide in London and his was probably related to the case. I will see if I can find out more about the burial place.

Jane, I will send you a pm.

If you read further back in this thread you will see that another relative has contributed and Chris (chrisharley9) has found that Capt. Ovans is buried in Winchester West Hill Cemetery. It's just the grave reference that hasn't been given but we do at least have the evidence to show that he wasn't among the missing of Neuve-Chapelle.

Alas the fascinating Satara saga is not for this forum!

Best wishes

Liz

• 2 months later...

Liz,

I think it will help with proving the non-commemoration. If he can be shown as an active officer, all be it probably away from his regiment on an m.c. (medical certificate - that the term they used in the Indian Army list with officers on sick leave) and not an ex-officer it helps cement his claim to CWGC commemoration. I am away from my books so I cannot help with the research. Good luck!

Just my thoughts.

Matthew

Liz,

I just wanted to say that due to acquiring a copy of the January 1915 Indian Army List I have been able to prove my theory.

Under his entry in the list of officers of the 125th Napier's Rifles it says the following:

Lv., ex I., m.c., to 7 Apl 15.

This translates to him being on Leave, outside of India on a medical certificate to 7th April 1915.

I am wiling to bet the earlier 1914 IAL's will say the same thing, thus proving he was away from his regiment and India from before outbreak of war.

Just thought I would post.

Regards,

Matthew

Thanks, Matthew. That's interesting to know.

As Chris says (#59) CWGC have already accepted Capt. Ovans as a casualty of the war and it is just a question of moving the place where he is commemorated, in their records.

Liz

As I sit watching the sunrise over the Med from the terrace overlooking Mojacar Playa, it's good that this topic has had so many contributions and has seen a lot of information being passed between family and other Pals.

Keep up the good work, back in the UK after the election!

• 10 months later...

OVANS, EDWARD HORNBY

Rank:CaptainDate of Death:23/03/1915Regiment/Service:125th Napier's RiflesGrave Reference:Square 37. Grave 2665.Cemetery:WINCHESTER (WEST HILL) OLD CEMETERY

Commemoration finally moved.

• 8 months later...

Very interested in Jane's comment about Colonel Ovans who committed suicide?  He is my husband's great-great grandfather and this is new information for us.  Anyone know anything about this?