Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reminder -The Great War: The People's Story - tonight

Anneca

Heartbreaking was exactly my thoughts, too. Indeed, I don't mind admitting to a large lump in my throat at the end.

Indeed, this has been a quite splendid series and probably the best I have seen so far in the Centenary. The stoicism and innocence of all involved is brought home beautifully.

Sadly I found this episode as boring as the others, predictable and conforming to the same old theme of “Ain`t war awful etc etc” talk about stating the blindingly obvious. What a refreshing change it would make to have the story of one of the vast majority who survived, returned home without bits missing and resumed their lives to the best of their ability. I bet this will not happen as the media has preconceived notions as to how the conflict will be portrayed.

Norman

It seems their story isn`t new http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1998/10/98/world_war_i/194332.stm

I looked up William Martin and there seems to be a discrepancy as to what his middle name was...

.http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/780592/MARTIN,%20WILLIAM%20JAMES

and from Ancestry....

Name: William John Martin Birth Place: Breage, Cornwall Residence: Falmouth, Cornwall Death Date: 25 Mar 1917 Death Place: France and Flanders Enlistment Place: Helston, Cornwall Rank: Private Regiment: Devonshire Regiment Battalion: 8th (Service) Battalion Regimental Number: 45631 Type of Casualty: Killed in action Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Thanks. Interestingly, Mrs Broomfield and I had a discussion after the programme as she felt it intrusive for a Council worker to deposit her letters in the IWM for the rest of the world to be able to peer into her most private feelings. To see in the BBC report you link to that she had specifically requested Will's letters be buried with her I am not so sure I don't now agree with my good lady (as usual).

The same thought crossed my mind, should the wishes of the lady have been followed and we lose some valuable insight into history, or ignore her wishes completely ? A fine line to tread.

Thank you for the links slick63, both very interesting. I totally agree with Steven that this has been a splendid series and the best I too have watched so far in the Centenary. I have to say Brian Cox playing the role of the vicar Andrew Clark was superb and what a very emotional ending to last night's episode (should have had a box of tissues to hand). My only criticism of the series is that it could have been longer and look forward to the final episode next Sunday.

Anne

I nearly forgot the final episode was on this evening, luckily the mrs remembered. Another excellent episode, and good to see that some of those featured actually made it back to blighty and had a future. :)

Found last night's particularly interesting, as with two of the contributions, I've read the collections of letters at IWM during research for my next book.

Edie Matthews sent a number of letters to her husband about life at home in 1917/18. And there's a big collection of those from Arthur Patrick Burke - I first came across him in Michael Stedman's "Manchester Pals" where he recounts his experiences on 1 July 1916 with 20th Manchesters but I didnt expect him to pop up in a search for food related correspondence. I'd made notes when I was in London but, even better, when I asked for permission to include extracts the copyright holder sent me a CD transcription of the full set.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find catch up for the final episode? I had it recorded before going into hospital but it seems a lot of recordings have been deleted as a result of my not being able to clear the Sky+ box.

Anne