Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reminder -The Great War: The People's Story - tonight

Anneca

A reminder of The People's Story broadcast in just over an hour from now:

Quote: "One hundred years after the outbreak of the First World War, this dramatised documentary series uses the original diaries, letters, and memoirs of the men and women who were caught up in a conflict which would change their lives and their country forever. Reg Evans was a cockney lad who was one of the first to volunteer to fight. He turned out to be a hero in the trenches and his journey is told through the moving letters he sent to his mother. Alan Lloyd was an upper class young man from Birmingham, who joined the army in the same month he got married. His letters to his new wife from the battlefields of Ypres reveal the shock of a generation facing the very worst horrors of war. Dorothy Lawrence was determined to find a role for herself. She set off under her own steam for the trenches, where she worked undercover as a war correspondent. Each individual's story is made all the more powerful as every word is real".

Anne

I will probably be a voice apart but I didn't think much of it - low production values given it's prime time viewing on a commercial channel.

I also thought the actors a bit hammy. Would have probably worked better just being read alongside some of real images rather than the dramatisation.

I enjoyed it, not overly dramatic as the words were the most important part.

Would have probably worked better just being read alongside some of real images rather than the dramatisation.

I like that idea and have seen it in other documentaries, it works well.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, thought the acting was good.....especially in comparison to 'The Crimson Field' and knowing the words were actually those used at the time made it for me...........one question ...was the Middlebrook chap any relation to Martin?

I enjoyed it (thanks Anneca), though with a few quibbles.

Like Gunboat, I thought some of the actors played to stereotype; and why was Reg Evans of the Herts captioned as a Private while wearing corporal's stripes?

Otherwise I liked the production, the music and the letters.

I haven't watched all of it yet but the portion I did see was quite good I thought and certainly watchable. I'm not usually a fan of docu-drama and found the actors talking directly to camera a bit odd at first, but I did appreciate the use of actual diaries and letters and this made me want to carry on watching.

Reg Evan's story will get even better next week when we get to the surgery!

Pete

I enjoyed this more than expected and glad I had recorded it (to skip through the ads). As Kate has already said, I was surprised to see Reg wearing corporal's stripes when he was captioned as being a private. A bit more about him here:

http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/news/more-news/war-in-a-hero-s-own-words-apsley-soldier-in-tv-films-1-6209603

Episode 2 airs on Sunday 17 August and continues Reg’s story who, after suffering injuries in the trenches, undergoes pioneering plastic surgery. The episode also follows solider Alan Llyod who left his wife and baby son to go fight in the Somme, as well as life on the Home Front through diaries and letters.

Episode three, showing on Sunday 24 August, looks at the changes taking place in Britain and the impact the war has had on those left at home.

Anne

I thought the story of the young girl who wanted to be a war correspondent was quite heart rending. Making her own way to France, getting locked up for four months, then spending the rest of her life in a psychiatric hospital.

Watchable, but I watched a recording of it immediately after watching another of the 2nd part of BBC's collaborative 'The Great War Diaries' which, had, at least in my view, set a high standard to follow.

NigelS

I enjoyed watching this programme and thought it much better than both 'Great War Diaries' and 'Our World War'.

Thought it was good no glitz or glamour did the job it was supposed to do ...

Just caught up with this one and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There are some good letter (and memoir) collections at the IWM and I reckon they've picked some really excellent ones here. I particularly warmed to the RFA officer, Alan Lloyd, whose letters to his wife seemed particularly poignant. Good acting, as well, I thought the portrayal of a warm-hearted bloke was well done. I'm tempted to look him up to see if he made it through OK but think it might spoil the programme if I know, one way or the other. I also thought the actor playing the officer who was invalided out with shellshock did well.

I thought tonight's episode was extremely well put together and thoroughly enjoyable. The acting was second to none.

Anne

Another excellent episode, if I were to compare this series to the B.B.C's awful 'Our World War' I would say it was like comparing a well written and absorbing memoir by someone
who had taken part in the war to a tacky and badly written fictionalised account by someone who clearly hadn't.

I love this programme. By far the best of all the programmes commemorating the centenary shown on TV so far.

I couldn't agree more though I notice that it hasn't attracted much comment here on the GWF, maybe not enough blood and thunder in it. I was fascinated by the way that some characters such as Mrs Lloyd and Reg's mother never spoke a word in order to keep the programme faithful to its remit of only using actual words found in letters and diaries. It's an unusual but very impressive production.

Sue

Very interesting Ron, thank you for posting. I am amazed at the similarity been Alan Lloyd and the actor who played his role in the production - what a lovely old car!

Anne

The episodes don't appeared to be numbered. Does anyone know how long the series runs for? I'm just recording them at the moment for watching later - but if it's 20 or episodes I might change my mind.

The episodes don't appeared to be numbered. Does anyone know how long the series runs for? I'm just recording them at the moment for watching later - but if it's 20 or episodes I might change my mind.

No problem with recording npm, I think this is a four part series.

Anne