Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th batt. Rifle Brigade casualties for 1917

gem22

At the end of the digitised war diary for 11th Battalion KRRC is a casualty list for 11(S) battalion Rifle Brigade. I've checked a few names at random on CWGC and they are definitely RB and NOT KRRC.

It covers the period from mid December 1916 to end 1917. I'm not sure how complete it is but it looks quite comprehensive.

If anyone needs info from it please PM me (do not reply via this post). I will try to help if I can but as it is about 175 pages long please do not ask for a copy as refusals may cause offence.

Garth

This has been pointed out many times at the NA, there are all of 1917 11th RB casualties in the 11th KRRC diary. Four times this has been pointed out to my knowledge and yet they are still there.

Photographed them all, I believe there was 114 sheets of casualty returns, seperated them all and pointed the error out, sheesh and these people are responsible archivists of this nations history, I give up.

Andy

I emailed them when I purchased the 11th KRRC. They came back to me a few days later saying that the diary had been carefully examined and corrected. They even gave me a refund :D

Andy

I hope you didn't start pulling your hair out or you'll look like me :w00t:

Bardess

When did you purchase the download? I've had mine for a while now as I bought quite a few prior to starting on my modified research so I've had this about 3 or 4 months!!!

Maybe I should ask for a refund???

Garth

Possibly around the same time as you. This was their response:

Thank you for contacting The National Archives.

We have compared the original document WO 95/2115/2 against the online pdf and have discovered that the document have been scanned as the pages appear in the original.

From our investigation, the pages were scanned in the same order they appear in original and it looks like the pages were misfiled before they were transferred to the National Archives. We are afraid it also looks like that the casualty list for the 11 Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps have been lost for some time.

You may be able to contact the original regiment and see if they have their own copy available.

We have authorised a refund of £3.36 for you and apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.

Try for a refund. Why not!

Garth,

Gave up pulling my hair out a long time ago with some of the things seen. The unfortunate thing here is that this error has been shown to the NA many times before. Whilst photographing the diary, as mentioned, I separated these returns, highlighted the error which they agreed had been misfiled and yet the following week I had reason to pull this diary again and blow me down, they were again placed back in the KRRC diary.

Some of the 9th RB diary has been, in the words of the NA interpolated, with the 16th RB diary which would not have been noticed unless someone was familiar with the names mentioned, as it involved battalion orders not the actual diary. We even spent time going through the Army Lists and medal rolls to prove the point. However, if they were charging for these downloads which they were and are today, then that raises other points which I will not go into here.

Certainly not moaning as they have a difficult task with the mess some of these diaries were in, but for heavens sake if errors have been highlighted and proved why just place these back in the file they came from and not correct the matter. I could go on but hey ho onwards and upwards as they say.

Andy

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Despite the, mild, aggravation of trying to find the info I needed I'm not going to ask for a refund. In all fairness £3.30 for a downloaded copy is, IMO, a fair deal. Had I been at Kew and had this difficulty I would probably have kicked up a fuss but only because of the much greater cost involved. As it is I'm retired and I have time to scroll through the diaries and, hopefully, find what I want.

Nowadays my only serious complaint is the difficulty involved in getting copies of small sections of a diary that has not been digitised. Too often I've had a message come back saying that copying the pages for one or two specific months is not feasible. A shame but what the hell! Fortunately for me the people on this Forum are often able to come up with answers for me; so thanks to the Forum.

Garth