Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brass shells from Belgium

tjcasey14

TDR! But I think Aurel is on the ball!

But ... Aurel doesn't know what to think anymore ! (See other topic)

Belgian or French ?

A.

Dear All,

In my opinion it may be an American made cartridge. Attached is a photo of the base of a complete but unfilled round. It has a plaque on the side that reads " 75MM HIGH EXPLOSIVE SHELL made by AMERICAN CAN COMPANY presented with its compliments". The shell and cartridge were never filled hence the lack of any markings.

Regards,

Michael.

post-53132-0-45473700-1408094247_thumb.j

Michael,

Thats an interesting thought...... No markings on the side, but the bottom looks identical. Would they have shipped it overseas and then France or Belgium put their markings on it?

Hi tjcasey14,

The shell in question was presented by the manufacturer as a gift. In my opinion, the base of the cartridge has no markings as it was never filled. The fuze, made by another company, is marked. I attach a couple of photographs, one of the fuze and the other of the small plaque fitted to the side of the cartridge, in case they are of interest.

Regards,

Michael.

post-53132-0-54743700-1408964232_thumb.j

post-53132-0-59449700-1408964748_thumb.j

Michael,

Does my suggestion in posting # 21 stand a chance ?

(Though "Militaire" maybe should be : "de Munition")

Aurel

Michael,

Does my suggestion in posting # 21 stand a chance ?

(Though "Militaire" maybe should be : "de Munition")

Aurel

I have to admit that I am rather more tempted by the AFM being a French language mark, although the 'Lot' is suspiciously 'American'.

I'm afraid I don't presently know what AFM stands for but will have another look when time permits. In the meantime, I do not believe that France or Belgium marked ammunition with LOT numbers.

Regards,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Just on the off-chance, is there such a thing as a 'standard reference work' on shells used in WW1? It seems amazing to me that there are books on WW1 uniforms, guns, bayonets, even SRD jugs, but nowt on the shells (and especially the marking thereof!)

Julian

Re. post # 39, yes I second that. With the veritable abundance of surviving cartridge cases, (bought another 18 pounder yesterday!), it seems odd that there is not a standard reference work on the makers and markings, a definite gap in the market!

Mike.

Normally you will find that three primer key slots are German and that the two primer key slots are British.

John

Hi Julian,

Well, for German shells your best bet is Notes on German Shells 1918. For British Treatise on Ammunition, 1915. Both are available from The Naval & Military Press. There is also British Artillery Weapons and Ammunition 1914-1918 by Hogg and Thurston. I also have a book High Explosive Shell Manufacture published in 1916 by The Industrial Press which covers manufacturing by the American, British, French and Russian Governments.

For the rest, I rely on photocopies of documents, articles, etc.

Regards,

Michael.

Hi Julian,

Well, for German shells your best bet is Notes on German Shells 1918. For British Treatise on Ammunition, 1915. Both are available from The Naval & Military Press. There is also British Artillery Weapons and Ammunition 1914-1918 by Hogg and Thurston. I also have a book High Explosive Shell Manufacture published in 1916 by The Industrial Press which covers manufacturing by the American, British, French and Russian Governments.

Regards,

Michael.

Cheers Michael!

I'll look those books up and try to get copies just in case I happen to see any other nice examples that I can convince my wife will serve as decorative items... :whistle:

Just to say that I still think AFM is Belgian (Ateliers (belges) de Fabrication de Munition.

Though near Le Havre (Graville (Sainte Honorine) and / or (later) Gainneville.

Whether the cartridge itself is Belgian ... ?

But see : http://www.passionmilitaria.com/t51737-identification-marquage-d-une-douille

Willy Breton, Les Etablissements d'Artillerie Belges Pendant La Guerre, 1917, may provide the answer.

Aurel

Just to say that I still think AFM is Belgian (Ateliers (belges) de Fabrication de Munition.

Though near Le Havre (Graville (Sainte Honorine) and / or (later) Gainneville.

Whether the cartridge itself is Belgian ... ?

But see : http://www.passionmilitaria.com/t51737-identification-marquage-d-une-douille

Willy Breton, Les Etablissements d'Artillerie Belges Pendant La Guerre, 1917, may provide the answer.

Aurel

Thanks Aurel.

Took me a couple of minutes to enter where one reads (in reply to an identification question):

"Douille belge,AFM=Ateliers de Fabrication de Munition.

pendant la première guerre délocalisé a Le Havre/Gainneville.

Trouve sur le net, une douille avec les marquages similaires sauf "Lot 20T",identifié comme douille de 75."

Which I would translate as:

"Belgian shell cartridge case AFM = Ateliers de Fabrication de Munition. During the First World War this was relocated to Le Havre / Gainneville. Found on the net is a shell cartridge with similar markings except that it is marked "Lot 20T", for a 75 [mm] shell".
Unfortunately no reference is given.... So guess it means tracking down a copy of Willy Breton, Les Etablissements d'Artillerie Belges Pendant La Guerre, 1917

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 02/09/2014 at 13:18, Michael Haselgrove said:

Hi Julian,

Regards,

Michael.

Thanks again Michael,

There is now a PDF copy of Notes on German Shells on line at: http://bulletpicker.com/pdf/Notes on German Shells.pdf Stumbled upon as is often the case with these things!

Julian