Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish Heavy Artillery at Anzac

stevenbecker

Mates,

For some time I have been trying to find what Heavy batteries fired into the Anzac Positions but have ran into some problems in identifiying who they maybe?

Heavy types of guns in the Turkish Army were kept at Corps or Army level these being 105mm, 150mm and 210mm types from the Germans.

No heavy guns were at Division level these being only 77mm and 75mm type German guns.

There is no mention of any heavy guns in accounts during the landing, when reports put at lest one Heavy BN should have been with the Esat Pasha's 3rd Corps which should have looked like this;

3rd (105 mm) Obüs/How Bn -2x batteries each with 4 obüs guns)

While at lest one Bty of heavy 150mm guns should have been with the 5th Army level , but when it moved to either Anzac or Helles is unknown?

5th Obüs/How Bty (2x 15cm Krupp K16 field guns)

The problem now comes as large numbers of Turkish Divs arrived at the Front during the weeks and months after the landing, did there Corps guns arrive also.

Ed Erickson book "The Ottoman Campaign" mentions some of these guns, the first appear in May 1915 (around 11 May) at Anzac and he mentions (on page 102) a 210mm battery and 120mm battery.

Can anyone give me any idea on who thee batteries are?

Cheers

S.B

Hi Steve,

The following is from Mesut Uyar (I passed your post onto him) . Maybe not all that you are seeking, but it may help.

Cheers

Chris

Reference to your question the heavy artillery batteries moved to the landing sites at least two days after the landings. You know there were only mountain artillery (batteries of 27th and 57th Regiments) and a single 87 mm old Krupp field gun (Kabatepe) at Anzac on 25 April. There was a battery of 150mm short old Krupp guns at Palamutluk that occasionally fired towards the coast and landing vessels. That was basically the situation on 25 April. Your friend is right about III Corps 105mm Krupp howitzer battery. But as far as I recalled it was somewhere around Bolayır at the time of landing and remained there for another two days.

Steve,

My research shows the following Ottoman artillery at Anzac on 25 April.

One 75mm mountain battery (four guns) on the 400 Plateau (Lone Pine) at the time of the landing. Three guns captured and one escaped, which joined the 27th Regiment near Hill 165 around 0930. Photo attached of a battery deployed and as carried on the mules.

Two 87 mm Krupp field guns M1885 at GabaTepe at the time of the landing. One had a broken elevating lever and couldn't be used, so only one fired, and this is the one Mesut is referring to. Photo of the type here http://www.bulgarianartillery.it/Bulgarian%20Artillery%201/Krupp%2087mm%201885_Turkish.htm

One 75mm mountain battery (four guns) arrived in support of 27th Regiment at Hill 165 around 1030.

One 75 mm mountain battery (four guns) arrived with the 57th Regiment's column and was posted just north of Scubby Knoll sometime between 1100 and 1200.

One 75 mm mountain battery (four guns) arrived with the 72nd Regiment sometime after 1630 -1700, and was posted on the SW slope of Chunuk Bair, but it is thought the battery didn't fire on 25th April

One 75mm field battery (four guns) arrived in 27th Regiment's location at dusk, but didn't fire that day. Came up with the 77th Regiment.

One 150 mm battery (four guns) behind the Palamutluk ridge to the S of Gaba Tepe, I understand its fall of shot was directed from Gaba Tepe, but it generally fired at the transports. Not sure what type either:

fortress http://www.bulgarianartillery.it/Bulgarian%20Artillery%201/Testi/T_Turkish%20fortress%20guns_pictures.htm or

howitzer http://www.bulgarianartillery.it/Bulgarian%20Artillery%201/Krupp%20150mm%201905_Hb_Turkey.htm

The rest of the 19th Division's artillery - one 75mm field battery and two 87mm M1885 field batteries seem to have arrived on 26th April.

The organisation chart in in the Turkish OH for 5 May at the Ari Burnu Front shows what appears to be three field batteries at Gaba Tepe, (they have 15, 25 and 87 below the right corner of the battery symbol) and an artillery group comprising the 39th Artillery Regiment (19 Division) (comprising what appears to be one battery of the 2nd Battalion), 3rd Battalion 9th Artillery Regiment (9th Division) with two batteries, 3rd Battalion of the 7th Artillery Regiment with two batteries, and the 5th Artillery Regiment with its 2nd and 3rd Battalions.

Not sure if this helps

Cheers

Chris

post-14124-0-17597400-1406684420_thumb.j

post-14124-0-17213000-1406684467_thumb.j

Steve,

I have just checked the charts for the 5th and 7th Artillery Regiments. They were the divisional artillery of the 5th and 7th Divisions respectively. The 3rd Battalion of the 7th Artillery had field guns, as did the 2nd and 3rd battalions of the 5th Artillery.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

Thank them for me, yes trying to find the ID of these Heavy Batteries has been hard.

The 19th Div should of had these batteries; (your right all reports say this was the 39th Arty Regt when it should have been the 19th Arty Regt)

19th Artillery Regt (39th Artillery Regt April 1915) - Maj Halil kemal

1/19th batty (4 x 77mm QF)

2/19th batty (4 x 77mm QF)

3/19th batty (4 x Older Guns 75mm)

4/19th batty (4 x Older Guns 75mm)

1M/19th Mountain batty (6 x 75mm mountain How)

2M/19th Mountain batty (6 x 75mm mountain How)

Being a new Division was made up of what ever was left over

and the 9th Div; between Anzac and Helles,

9th Artillery Regt - LtCol Mehmet Ali 1915

1/9th batty (4 x 77mm QF)

2/9th batty (4 x 77mm QF)

3/9th batty (4 x 77mm QF)

4/9th batty (4 x 77mm QF)

2x Mountain Btys each (6 x 75mm mountain Howitzers)

Two batteries were made into an Artillery Bn thus each Div had three Arty Bn's

These are pretty much standard for each Div but the problem comes with the Heavy Batteries at Corps or Army level.

These batteries/Bn's were mixed with what ever guns they had untill the noose was let off after the Gallipoli campagn.'

The Heavy guns of the 3rd, 4th and 5th Heavy Artillery Regts garrisoned the straits during the landing and some of these guns were moved to suport the landing at Helles during late April and May, but the main release came in June when Cevat sent three Batteries of 150mm and one of 105mm to Helles, these were from the Straits garrison from the moblie batteries of either the 3rd, 4th or 5th Heavy Regts.

This dosn't Identify what other Heavy batteries arrived at Anzac between April to May as the names of the 210mm and 120mm batteries are still to be confirmed.

I had thought they may have been from the 5th Army as not the standard 150mm battery, but could have been a 210mm and a 120mm battery instead. and were released by 5th Army HQ after the landing in the north was found to be a deception.

but as our Turkish mate answered that the 5th Army Heavy Arty

"There was a battery of 150mm short old Krupp guns at Palamutluk that occasionally fired towards the coast and landing vessels"

and the 3rd Corps HA was;

"105mm Krupp howitzer battery. But as far as I recalled it was somewhere around Bolayır

That still can not confirm what were the 210 and 120mm batteries?

The only other answer is they came from the straits 3rd, 4th and 5th Heavy Artillery Regts?

Cheers

S.B

Steve,

I am meeting up with Mesut next week, and will see if he can shed some more light on the heavy artillery. I think you will find the newer Turkish field guns were the Krupp QF 75mm, not 77mm, as the Germans made the 75mm as the export gun for foreign armies.

Will get back to you when I have something definite.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

Thanks any help here would fill a gap in our knowage of these units.

most accounts I've read about Anzac seams to always report Turkish Artillery fire as 75mm but for those heavy guns like Beachy Bill and other named guns which shelled our back areas.

Trying to find what units these guns came from was my aim here.

I found the named guns from a fighting in Palestine so the ones on Anzac is my next objective?

3rd Obüs/How Bty (2x 15cm Krupp K16 field guns) 1x Jericho Jame 4-17 captured 19-9-18 and 1x Nimrim Nelly att 48 Div
2nd Obüs/How Bty (2x 15cm Krupp K16 field guns) att 3 Div (22th Corps) 8-16 to 57 Div 3-18 (8th Corps) captured near Nablus 21-9-18 Nablus Annie & Nablus Nancy

Cheers

S.B

Chris,

You maybe interested in this from the other site on guns held by Turkey at the start of the war.

TOO of Artilery for Turkish Divisions appears based on ehat they should be, and possibly were after Gallipoli. but before that dated they may have been any number of ehat ever guns they had?

In the Book "Top ve Topçu Atış Okulu 150nci Yıl Hatırası 1795-1945, s. 128" (150th Anniversary of Artillary and Artillary War School 1795-1945, p. 128) I found this information about guns in Turkish Army
At the beginning of 1914 there were:
Number trademark fire per gun
344 7,5 30 Krupp field 900
52 7,5 30 Schneider field 900
92 7,5/14 Krupp mountain 867
18 10,5 field obus 1147
2 10.5 Krupp obus 466
2 10,5 Austrian obus 229
12 15 Heavy obus
1 5.7 armoured motorized with tower ( This one is the first motorized gun and served at Erzurum.)
total : 523
another shows these guns;
According with GENELKURMAY HARP TARİHİ BAŞKANLIĞI : Türk Silahli Kuvvetleri Tarihi III Cilt, 6 Kisim (1908-1920), Ankara : Basimevi 1971, p. 444, in late the Turkish Arsenal (Tophane) manufactured :
450 - 7,5cm L/13 GbK
130 - 8,7cm L/24 FK
100 - 12cm L/11,6 FHb
20 - 15cm L/14 Hb
12 - 7,5cm L/30 FK
16 - 7,5cm L/14 GbK

Its appears many of the 77mm QF guns on Orbats would have been 75mm Krupp or Schneider field guns?
At lest untill better guns were sent from Germany.
S.B

Thank you for this information Steve.

You are correct about the Turks having to cobble together what ever that had. The 39th Artillery Regiment (19th Division) had three different types of guns, which would have been difficult for ammunition resupply - one battalion (two batteries) of QF 75mm L/30 Krupp field guns, one battalion of 87mm M1885 L/24 field guns, and one battalion of 75mm Krupp L/14 mountain guns.

Regards

Chris

Steve,

Spoke with Mesut today about your request.

As for 25th April, there were two heavy batteries with III Corps - the two mentioned in post # 2. The 150mm short field gun battery at Palamutluk which he said was an 1880 vintage gun and was unable to support the Turkish infantry later in the day. It fired sporadically at the transports and the coastline, probably with shrapnel. and the 105mm howitzer battery at Bolayir supporting the 7 Division in Bulair Lines. He believes this battery arrived in the ANZAC area on 27 April.

The remainder of the mobile heavy guns remained covering the Dardanelles as they expected another naval assault. Those in south also supported the 9th Division on the Helles Front, and the others were released to support the ANZAC about a month after the landings.

He will look into identifying them, but he is under the pump at the moment with several articles, talks and a book about the Ottomans at Gallipoli in the period leading up to 25th April, and their response to the ANZAC landing on 25th April for the Army Campaign Series of books.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

I found an interesting reference in Ed's book which mentions the arrival in Feb- March of the moblie 8th Heavy Artillery Regt which suported the 3rd, 4th and 5th Heavy Regts along the straits during the Naval battle in March 1915.

What I found interesting is the use of the word "Moblie" for this Heavy or Fortress Artillery Regt. (since before that date reports placed this Arty Regt (with 3xBns) in Adrianople Fortress with the 6th, 7th, 9th and 10th Fortress Artillery Regts total 57 guns).

He doesn't say what batteries it had (8th Heavy Arty Regt) but his annex table gives us these guns;

31 - 150mm/10.8 how

10 - 210/6.4 mortar

12 - 120/30 How

6 - 120/11.6 How

But his lists give two numbers for total guns from 42 as of Feb 26 1915 to March 18 with the above list of 59 guns, under command of LtCol Wehrle, a German officer.

So the arrival of the 120mm and 210 batteries at Anzac in May could refer to some of these guns released for the Turkish attack in May 1915?

S.B

Steve

I don't know whether this will help but I've attached a couple of images of a schedule of where the Turkish guns were believed to be from the CRA (GHQ) War Diary. Clearly Turkish Regiments or Batteries are not known, but you may be able to cross reference them against what you already have. If it is of any use I have another one which I can post with similar information which is a Naval Signal that dates from around mid-May until the beginning of June.

Regards

Alan

Steve

Page 2 attached.

Alan

post-74297-0-22185200-1407231222_thumb.j

post-74297-0-25698100-1407231515_thumb.j

Mate,

Thanks for the list.

It looks like they have identified the Heavy guns and there placement at Anzac.

the 9" guns at Anafarta looks promising with a 6" at the Olive Grove, with the 8.2" and 6" at Kaba Tepe.

THese along with the Heavy guns at lest 6x in number.

Did I read that right was the date of this doc around the 1 July 1915.

Cheers

S.B

Steve

The schedule title written in pencil is 'Artillery action at ANZAC on 1st July'.

Out of sequence in the War Diary I came a across the sketch map below which may also be of interest. This is dated 2/7/15.

Regards

Alan

post-74297-0-96005300-1407327472_thumb.j

Mate,

I supose the next step is to find how these guns (9" guns at Anafarta with a 6" at the Olive Grove, with the 8.2" and 6" at Kaba Tepe) equat to the German/Turkish system

Like could a 9'" gun be 210mm/21cm, and so forth with 8" and 6"?

If I remember right from my Tank days the 76mm gun was like a 3" so 6" should be like 150mm (ish) so 9" should be around over 210mm?

Any ideas?

S.B

Steve,

These are intelligence estimates, and while they may well be correct regarding locations, there might be inaccuracies in what type of guns they are, so I wouldn't take them as gospel. As you say they would be using the British equivalent in terms of calibre. As to equivalents 6 inches = 152.4mm, 8 inch = 203.2mm and 9 inch = 228.6mm, so the nearest equivalent in mm of Turkish guns would be appropriate.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

Yes That confirms my idea also.

When you look at this list and the numbered guns types (6", 8.2" and 9") and the word heavy which must be a gun lower then 6" but higher the a Field or Mountain gund (75mm).

I am thinking it could be a 105mm gun which is from a Corps Level Arty Bn.

which would be two 4 gun batteries.

But with at lest two Corps in the line at Anzac, around the July date, that should put at lest two (105mm) Arty Bns or around 16 guns (of at lest 105mm types)

Clearly this didn't happen or at lest these Corps level batteries were mixed with 105mm to 210mm guns from what ever battery was availible.

Cheers

S.B

the word heavy which must be a gun lower then 6" but higher the a Field or Mountain gund (75mm).

Steve,

I am not sure where the distinction between field and heavy artillery was made at that time. As you know, today 105mm is a field or light gun, while during the Second World War, and post war the BL 5.5 inch (140mm) was a medium gun. The 150mm and above is a heavy gun.

This site on Turkish artillery lists the 105mm both as a field gun (L/17 Krupp Howitzer) , and a heavy gun (L/26 Krupp Fortress Gun), and the heavies go up to the 355mm (13.97 inch) L/35 Krupp Fortress Gun) http://www.navyingallipoli.com/artyleria.html Not sure if this site uses the correct distinction between field and heavy, other than the 105 mm howitzer was mobile, whereas the 105mm fortress gun was in a fixed emplacement. I would have thought the distinction was based on the weight of the projectile.

Cheers

Chris

Steve & Chris,

I first started to look at this fascinating question Steve had posed for the distribution of the heavy artillery batteries ranged on the Anzac sector soon after his first post on the 29th July. My initial thought was to re-examine the Turkish Esat Pasha map of the forces and gun emplacements facing Anzac on the 4th August 1915 to see if anything could be made of the Turkish gun emplacements of that date that may shed some light upon the question Steve was seeking answers for. Although this map appeared at first glance to be a rather rough outline of the positions of the Turkish gun emplacements, surprisingly it turned out to be extremely accurate when compared to the Squared Gallipoli 1. 1:40,000 map.

As the Esat Pasha map is annotated in the Ottoman script the vast majority of the notated details are incomprehensible to me with the exception of the Ottoman numerals; these can be transcribed where legible. For Steve's purposes all the Mountain Gun and 75 Field Artillery gun emplacements are given what I would take to be Battery/Regiment identification. Unfortunately all guns above the 8.7 Krupp guns have only Ottoman descriptions, and many of the symbols for the heavy guns are at odds to those symbols of Turkish gun symbols I have, and even those are confusing.

Over the last month I have had little spare time to work on this map, but that in its self has proved useful with the subsequent post by 'alan two'. These CRA (GHQ) War Diary intelligence reports of the guns ranged on Anzac have given another dimension to the Esat Pasha map, and a combination of those two July reports I have used to see if they matched the Turkish map of August.

Before presenting the results of those comparisons there are a couple of points that need clarification. The Esat Pasha map shows the gun positions as single guns, but if the identification of each refers to a battery, there will probably be more than one gun, this I will leave for Steve to figure out. That thought would follow the previous investigation of the machine gun positions portrayed on this map looked at on the other topic, and again the Turkish map only showed one machine gun at the various points when we know there were definitely more guns at each position. The other point referees to the exact position of each gun detailed on the Turkish map, each gun could be at a grid square on all sides of the marked position. I have attempted to identify the possible placement of each gun to a grid square on this map and as such each is only an indication to their actual positioning. If as I have posed, at each gun position there are more than one gun, possibly anywhere between two to four guns, those marked positions would probably represent the centre point for a battery emplacement.

One last note - the identification of the heavy guns has been very difficult, for instance the two 150 mm howitzers I have identified at map reference Square 194 r2, Olive Grove East have the symbol of a heavy 150 mm Field Gun joined with that of the heavy howitzer, in this instance I have opted for the 150mm Howitzer.

Steve I have set you the homework to see what you make of all this, but with Chris I'm sure this will be another task for poor Mesut Uyar. For us here in Australia at the moment professor Uyar is our only means of having the Ottoman notation transcribed.

The following is the CRA (GHQ) War Diary of July giving the supposed Turkish gun positions and gun types firing on Anzac by square number, location and gun type. After each is the Turkish gun positions giving, grid location, gun type and calibre, and where indicated, Battery/Regiment identification.

238 v1. Battleship Hill 2 field guns.

238 m7. Baby 700 2 x 75mm field guns 4/5, 5/5.

238 q4. Baby 700 1 x 8.2 heavy howitzer.

238 v8. Baby 700 1 x 150mm howitzer.

224 d2. f1. Chessboard/Battleship Hill 5 field guns.

Nothing.

224 j2. j5. Chessboard 2 mountain guns.

224 j4, j5. Chessboard 2 x 75mm mountain guns. 7/8. 6/8.

224 h2. h5. Johnstones Jolly 2 mountain guns.

Nothing.

224 n5. n8. Lonesome Pine 2 mountain guns.

224 o5. Lonesome Pine 1 x 75mm mountain gun. 8/9.

224 f6. k5. Scrubby Knoll 2 field guns.

224 k8. Scrubby knoll 1x 75mm mountain gun. 7/7.

224 p2. Gun Ridge North 2 field guns.

224 p2. p4. Gun Ridge North 2 x 75mm mountain guns. 7/5. 8/7.

224 t6. t8. Gun Ridge North 2 x 75mm mountain guns. 8/2. 6/5.

224 u3. Gun Ridge North 1 x 120mm howitzer.

250 o7. t1. Anafarta/Salt Lake Ridge 9" & 4.7" field guns.

Nothing.

212 r6. d4. 224x. Gun Ridge 6 field guns.

212 i3. d7. Gun Ridge 2 x 75mm field guns. 2/16. 1/16.

212 i5. Gun Ridge 1 x 75mm mountain gun. 7/2.

212 v5. Olive Grove 6 field guns.

212 a6. Olive Grove 1 x 75mm mountain gun. 6/2.

212 r5 Olive Grove 2 x 150mm field guns.

203 o5. Olive Grove 6" howitzer.

203 b5. 1 x 150mm howitzer. 1 x 8.7 Krupp mantel gun. 1 x 75mm field gun.

202 t4. Olive Grove 2 field guns.

202 t4. Olive Grove 1 x 150mm field gun. 1 x 12omm field gun.

194 o3. or h3. 303 x. Olive Grove 2 heavy guns.

194 r2. Olive Grove East 2 x 150 mm howitzers.

211 p8. Kaba Tepe 2 field guns.

212 l5. Kaba Tepe 1 x 150 mm howitzer.

Jeff

Mate,

That sumary is about what I came up with.

Since Turkish gun postions (like ours) should have a primary firing postion along with a secondry or more firing positions, there movement after firing could be any where within these squares, or further?

Reports all give that the Turkish guns moved around a lot, and knocking them out cause some concern in the Allied Arty command. particularly when surpressing them for the Allied attacks.

Its clear that these Turkish Heavy batteries could and did form single gun groups in which to drop the odd shell then move, which finding there location at times very hard.

So where was the Corps guns for the 3rd Corps after the landing?

3rd (105 mm) Obüs/How Bn -2x batteries each with 4 obüs guns

Its clear that this Artillery Bn was broken up and the guns disperced over the battle front from the north around Baby 700 to the Olive Grove, like wise the 5th Army Battery;

was also broken up with a gun possibly at Kaba Tepe and the other at Anafarta or possibly both at Anafarta and another gun for another battery at Kaba Tepe.

With the arrival of Turkish reinforcements in May 1915 the units on the Anzac front were grouped at the Northern Groups and contained new Div's as the 2nd Div, 5th Div and 16th Div along with the 9th Div and 19th Div.

These formations came from a number of Corps, but no mention is made of any Corps batteries/Bn's arriving with them, only one 120mm batrery and a 210mm battery possibly from the moblie 8th Heavy or Coastal Artillery Regt from the Narows defence.

Where did these guns go?

May to July 1915 these are recorded by Jeff's and the Artillery map;

238 q4. Baby 700 1 x 8.2 heavy howitzer.

238 v8. Baby 700 1 x 150mm howitzer

224 u3. Gun Ridge North 1 x 120mm howitzer

250 o7. t1. Anafarta/Salt Lake Ridge 9" & 4.7" field guns

212 r5 Olive Grove 2 x 150mm field guns.

203 o5. Olive Grove 6" howitzer.
203 b5. 1 x 150mm howitzer. 1 x 8.7 Krupp mantel gun.

202 t4. Olive Grove 1 x 150mm field gun. 1 x 12omm field gun.

194 o3. or h3. 303 x. Olive Grove 2 heavy guns.
194 r2. Olive Grove East 2 x 150 mm howitzers.

212 l5. Kaba Tepe 1 x 150 mm howitzer

(225 & 226 2 x 6" or 1 x 8.2")

So what do we end up with;

one 9"

one 8.7 Mantel

one 8.2" (or two)

eight 150mm

two 120mm

one 4.7"

one 6" (or three)

two heavy guns possibly 105mm

possibly 17 Heavy guns

This should give us at lest 1x 210mm Bty (8th Heavy Arty Regt?) with its 2 guns at;

238 q4. Baby 700 1 x 8.2 heavy howitzer,and

250 o7. t1. Anafarta/Salt Lake Ridge 9"

And 1x120mm Bty (8th Heavy Arty Regt?) with its 2 guns at;

224 u3. Gun Ridge North 1 x 120mm howitzer

202 t4. Olive Grove 1 x 12omm field gun.

where its guns are is unknown but possibly 212 r5 Olive Grove 2 x 150mm field guns

3rd (105 mm) Obüs/How Bn -2x batteries each with 4 obüs guns (total 8 guns)

There are only 2 guns 105mm marked on the maps which would not account for all these guns?

was this a mixed Artillery Bn with 105mm and other types (like one 4.7" )

But what about the 8 x 150mm guns, and (6") guns

As yet no possible unit is known unless these guns were part of 3rd Obus/How Bn and their caliber was not 150mm or 6" but lower or they were a mixed Arty Bn?

The other gun not found was this one?

one 8.7 Mantel

Its known that the Turks had at lest 130 - 8,7cm L/24 FK at the start of the war but not what unit it was in but its possible these were just field guns?

Cheers

S.B

Mates,

So far finding what gun was "Beechy Bill" has taken me around the Artillery of the Turkish Army at Anzac.

The first mention of these guns was page 76 of Bean on the 5th May 1915, which gives "Beechy Bill" as a Battery which cause over 1000 casualties on the beach alone.

But Bean mentions that this battery (around the Olive Grove to Gaba Tepe) was destroyed by fire from HMS Bacchante, with the battery left with only a few guns which caused little concernafter that date?

From what I read Bean appears to imply this battery was a field gun battery (75mm) from a unit of the 9th Artillery Regt (9th Div)

I had thought it was a Heavy gun that fired into our rear areas during the stay on Anzac but that appears incorrect.

Can you shed any light on this unit known as Beechy Bill?

Cheers

S.B

Hi

I have a photo of Beachy Bill which may help. Unfortunately I am unable to load it. Can anyone let me know how to load an image on to my post?

Cheers

John

Mate,

Sorry I don't know either but very much interested in seeing what type of gun/s they show as "Beechy Bill"

Cheers

S.B

Hi

The attached image is allegedly a picture of "Beachy Bill" obviously taken after the war finished by vising British sailors. I hope it may be of use in the discussion on Turkish artillery. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me details about this cannon.

Cheers

John

post-86136-0-41627000-1408255145_thumb.j