Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Winchester Cathedral: name on a memorial?

Michael Pegum

Does the name of Captain William Jeffrey Davis, 8th K.R.R.C., appear on the Rifle Brigade Memorial and/or the Rifle Brigade Roll of Honour in Winchester Cathedral?

Here is an image of the officers of the battalion, from "Memoirs of a Rifleman Scout', by Major F. M. Crum, who is seated beside Captain Davis.

Michael

post-3328-0-77444300-1406027669_thumb.jp

With respect, is there a reason why a KRRC officer would appear in RB memorials ? Did the 60th and the 95th do joint memorials and Rolls of Honour ?

Oops!

I thought the K.R.R.C. would have been part of the Rifle Brigade, but, of course, the Brigade was another regiment. I had been told that Davis's name might be on a memorial in Winchester Cathedral, and the War Memorials Archive didn't seem to have any other likely memorials in the cathedral.

However, on searching again, a different way, I see there is a K.R.R.C. memorial in the cathedral. The War Memorials Archive says there are no names, but they sometimes get that wrong. Can anyone confirm that?

Michael

This is the memorial http://www.ww1cemeteries.com/british_cemeteries_memorials/krrc_wm_winchester.htm - I honestly can't see whether the darker shading on the sides of the base is lettering or not. I might have time to drive out and check some time in the next fortnight - it's only half an hour away - but I can't promise anything.

sJ

No, the KRRC memorial by the West Window of Winchester Cathedral does not carry names - there would just be too many.

I do recall from years ago there was a Book of Remembrance inside the cathedral that had a page turned every day . . . . but my best recollection is that it was Hampshire Regiment.

Oops!

I thought the K.R.R.C. would have been part of the Rifle Brigade, but, of course, the Brigade was another regiment. I had been told that Davis's name might be on a memorial in Winchester Cathedral, and the War Memorials Archive didn't seem to have any other likely memorials in the cathedral.

However, on searching again, a different way, I see there is a K.R.R.C. memorial in the cathedral. The War Memorials Archive says there are no names, but they sometimes get that wrong. Can anyone confirm that?

Michael

Michael,

You're right, there is a KRRC memorial inside the cathedral to officers who have given distinguished service to the regiment. It's in the form of several panels. This was pointed out to me by Mark Brockway when I was researching Major (Acting Lt. Col) Richard Abadie, who was killed in action 10 July 1917 when commanding the 2nd Battalion KRRC. He is on the memorial but not all are; I have a feeling it's mainly the senior officers, and outstanding officers such as VC-winners, of the regular battalions that are included.

EDIT Lt. Col. Charles Duncombe, Earl of Feversham, CO of the 21st (Service ) Bn, killed in action at Flers 15 September 1916, is not there.

I think there is also a KRRC Roll of Honour though. (EDIT Checked old correspondence: the curator referred to Abadie being in the memorial book when I enquired.)

EDIT Of course, Mr Drill is correct to say the familiar memorial outside has no names.

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne

Mr Drill is correct about names on the memorial: there are none. Regarding a Book of Remembrance, I'm not sure, either.

Is it possible your chap is on a separate memorial (of which Winchester has loads)? Was there any specific reason why you were told there might be a memorial to him? Like jane, I'm happy to go and have a look (and hang the amission fee!).

Is it possible your chap is on a separate memorial (of which Winchester has loads)? Was there any specific reason why you were told there might be a memorial to him? Like jane, I'm happy to go and have a look (and hang the amission fee!).

In his Will he left money "towards memorials in Whitechurch (a church in Dublin) and, possibly, in Winchester Cathedral". There is a memorial in Whitechurch, as shown below, The War Memorials Archive lists a lot of memorials in Winchester Cathedral, but there is none to him, so I doubt if it is worth going to see. Many thanks for the offer, though.

It may be that Captain Davis's contribution went towards the K.R.R.C. memorial mentioned above.

post-3328-0-74831500-1406035439_thumb.jp

There's an archivist I know, come to think of it... hold the line...

Out of interest, looking at the crest at the bottom of the memorial ... was he descended from Earl Ligonier? The badge is very similar to that of the 7th Dragoon Guards, who wore Ligonier's crest. Pretty similar to Wellington's, too, for that matter.

He might also have contributed to the splendid statue outside the cathedral - the 60th's Great War memorial.

I have no evidence of his origin earlier than his grandfather, John Davis. His father, an Army General, was appointed K.C.B., and I think that the crest may be his. I haven't found any evidence for a coat of arms of the Davis family in general.

I wrote to the College of Arms in London, enquiring about this, and was informed that they would be delighted to assist, on receipt of €480! So I still don't know.

Tightwad :whistle:

Here's the original 2009 thread on Capt Davis: 2nd K.R.R.C. in 1911, and 8th in 1915 - I'm amazed you think the KRRC is part of the Rifle Brigade after such a detailed topic!

A Corps is of course far more important than a Brigade (I jest - just winding Andy up - LOL!) and the KRR's are the senior regiment by forty years!

See also Pte. Davis, William Jeffrey, KRRC

Both the rifles regiments (KRRC and RB) have memorials inside Winchester Cathedral with wall panels and a memorial book. I have pictures somewhere,but am away from home just now. From memory, the KRRC wall panels only list fallen officers who have given Distinguished Service - major gallantry medal winners and battalion commanders and higher, but I'll need to check that again. I'm about 80% confident the Roll of Honour is a full list - in the KRR's everyone is a rifleman regardless of rank.

Mark

Outside in the cathedral precincts is the KRRC memorial by John Tweed, which is also my avatar.

Liz's post higher up reminded me I'd mailed her a picture of the indoor Memorial last year and I still had a copy in my Sent Items folder!

post-20192-0-65261400-1406065546_thumb.j

Resolution is too poor to read the detail unfortunately.

A formal Turning of the Pages ceremony for the Rolls of Honour of both regiments takes place at 10:00hrs on the third Tuesday of every month (except November when it is on the Thursday closest to the 11th November). A bugler from The Rifles plays Reveille.

Mark

A Corps is of course far more important than a Brigade (I jest - just winding Andy up - LOL!) and the KRR's are the senior regiment by forty years!

Mark

Yes, but still redcoats at heart and filled their ranks with mercenaries, still ho hum :w00t: Got another little trip coming up with the usual ex RB cronies who will no doubt regale me with stories of how they used to wind up the KRRC and Oxs & Bucks contingent about being redcoats when they all became Green Jackets. Their stories are always good for a giggle.

Andy