Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

9 hours ago, wrightdw said:

Ironside's faithful servant 'Piskoff' who Ironside had picked up in France and brought to North Russia with him. I am unsure exactly who Piskoff was, I thought for a time he might have been a Russian born British soldier but I remain unsure.

Piskoff.jpg

Thank you for posting these most interesting exerpts.

You no doubt know that Piskoff is described as Ironside's "Russian-born groom", and as "a Russian émigré groom" in Ironside's 2018 authorised biography by his son.

49 minutes ago, neverforget said:

...  gashed your shins open with his studs. A tradition that lasted well into my playing days at amateur level. If someone knobbled you, your course of action was quite simply to knobble him back even harder at the first available opportunity ... 

Truly, the beautiful game.

Edited by Uncle George

The beauty of the game in those days was the honesty in which it was played imho. Players understood that if one crossed the line one would reap as one sowed. On the whole, if you take Revie's Leeds team out of the equation, it wasn't a dirty game, and feigning injury certainly wasn't prominent. Once cheating became the norm, that for me is when the beauty departed from the game.

3 hours ago, neverforget said:

Represent three different international sides.

Is this one sport, three countries? Or one country, three sports?

Or a bit of both really, mother.

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is this one sport, three countries? Or one country, three sports?

Or a bit of both really, mother.

One sport - football. (Not the American version)

Lads, apologies for not responding sooner but the answers and information uncovered in response to my Who/What/Where is this are brilliant. You have provided me with stuff through the book cuttings that I didn't have, and identified the score which I didn't know.  In the words of the late, great 'screaming' Sid Waddell "there's only one word for that: magic darts".

The only slight quibble I have is that Thanksgiving 1918 was the 28th not the 22nd; Bogart joined the Leviathan either that day or the day before. The game of American Football was played at Goodison Park to celebrate between a team from the rest camp in Knotty Ash (some reports say from the engineers) and a team from the ship. I speculated that Bogart might have joined the crowds at Goodison in an article wot I wrote for Everton's matchday programme (Daz the communications manager was more than usually desperate for copy). The general tone of patronising confusion in the local papers is summed up by the phrase "muddied oafs" describing the players. From other reports it sounds like 28th November 1918 was quite a wild night in Liverpool.

As an aside Baseball was also played regularly at Goodison either side of WW1 with either local teams (Everton had their own) or on one occasion by the Chicago White Sox. The Sox were imfamous for the still controversial 'throwing' of the 1919 World Series. If you've seen 'Field of Dreams' you may remember Shoeless Joe Jackson (played in the movie by Ray Liotta), who was central to this.

Pete.

I'd like to see this one wrapped up tonight as I will be out of the game tomorrow all day on very unpleasant business, so let's see if I can give him away. 

Internationally, he played for two Irish teams, and one English team, though it wasn't the full English team, and it was only once.

Amongst the Football league teams he played for were Derby, Leicester, Hull, Ipswich, Norwich, Watford, and Q.P.R.

He also signed for Celtic, and managed Q.P.R. Ipswich and Cork city. 

Hopefully that will be enough to put him to bed before I have to put myself there, otherwise I'll identify him.

He served in the Navy and the R.F.C.

Edited by neverforget

that makes him easier to find - Mick O'Brien.  Apparently also played in the US

1 minute ago, Nepper said:

that makes him easier to find - Mick O'Brien.  Apparently also played in the US

Instant results! Mick O'Brien it is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_O'Brien_(footballer,_born_1893)

22 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

As an aside Baseball was also played regularly at Goodison either side of WW1 with either local teams (Everton had their own) or on one occasion by the Chicago White Sox. The Sox were imfamous for the still controversial 'throwing' of the 1919 World Series. If you've seen 'Field of Dreams' you may remember Shoeless Joe Jackson (played in the movie by Ray Liotta), who was central to this.

The '19 World Series scandal also famously features in Scott Fitzgerald's 'The Great Gatsby'. Of course cheating in sport was with us beforehand, has been with us ever since, and has featured especially strongly this year.

It's time to ban the Olympics and indeed all professional sport, worldwide.

56 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He is George Barnett, Commandant of the USMC from 1914 to 1920.

Image from here: http://www.oocities.org/heartland/prairie/2089/george.html

Still stumped on the Devonshire Regiment clue- you're right-it is rubbish!!

But it took me along a byway. The Devonshires have the nickname of "The Bloody Eleventh"- and there was a US regiment-mostly of their Civil War-which had the same nickname-and of whose stock of officers I am now familiar!

And the clue...if you please

14 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

And the clue...if you please

Semper Fidelis. Also the motto of Exeter; and of that fine body of men and women, the Protection and Guard Service of Romania.

25 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Semper Fidelis. Also the motto of Exeter; and of that fine body of men and women, the Protection and Guard Service of Romania.

Blast- and after watching God Knows How Many episodes of NCIS.

And I believe- a tune by Sousa not unknown at Home Park........

I wore it on my cap badge as a proud member of Crownhill Platoon, B Company, Devon Army Cadet Force. (We wore the badge of the Devon and Dorsets).

As Homer once had it: "Semper Fudge!"

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I wore it on my cap badge as a proud member of Crownhill Platoon, B Company, Devon Army Cadet Force. (We wore the badge of the Devon and Dorsets).

Still got mine!! CCF at Plympton Grammar School. Devonshire Regiment badge.

47 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I like to think I know a rubbish clue when I see one (it is my stock in trade after all), and that isn't in my far from humble opinion. Amusingly obscure maybe but still interesting after the event. Who knows when such information may come in handy.

Pete.

47 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I like to think I know a rubbish clue when I see one (it is my stock in trade after all), and that isn't in my far from humble opinion. Amusingly obscure maybe but still interesting after the event. Who knows when such information may come in handy.

Pete.

True- It got me. I had forgotten that something called the US Marine Corps- which appears to be some minor military organization somewhere out in our former colonies shared a motto with the splendid Devonshire Regiment.

Not a rubbish clue,then?  Right-only one real response-  Revenge-  a REAL rubbish clue- one devised by a fox who has just been appointed Professor of Cunning at the University of Oxford

On 30/03/2018 at 12:02, Fattyowls said:

I like to think I know a rubbish clue when I see one 

Not a rubbish clue,then?  

In my browsing around George Barnett, I noticed that his step-son boasted THE most lame claim to fame ever:

"Basil Gordon, who in 1923 became the first person to crash an airplane in the District of Columbia."

http://www.shorpy.com/node/8837

Same clue.

http://veterantributes.org/Photos/HenryLHulbert.jpg

Is this Gunny Ernest Janson, AKA  Charles Hoffman! He was awarded both the Army and the Navy Medal of Honor, and was a pallbearer for the Unknown Soldier.

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Gunny Ernest Janson, AKA  Charles Hoffman! He was awarded both the Army and the Navy Medal of Honor, and was a pallbearer for the Unknown Soldier.

Alas No-  But you have worked  out   that your own previous clue leads to the same  place.    This chap shared something in common with Lieutenant William James Burt, 6th attached 13th Bn. Middlesex Regiment, killed on the Somme, 18th August 1916 

Edited by Guest

Alas No-  But you have worked  out   that your own previous clue leads to the same  place.    This chap shared something in common with Lieutenant William James Burt, 6th attached 13th Bn. Middlesex Regiment, killed on the Somme, 18th August 1916 

I don't get the William Burt clue; but is he Daniel Daly?

13 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I don't get the William Burt clue; but is he Daniel Daly?

Alas, not Daniel Daly.

I can add the clue "Samoa"

Oh- and just to make it ridiculously easy....... there is a link between my man and the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, 7th December 1941.

Doh!!  This is getting too easy.

Edited by Guest