Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

UG is spot on, it is the young Heinz Guderian. As we were discussing the role of Erwin Rommel who characteristically got much of the publicity for the events of May 1940 I thought I would post the man who I think deserves more of the credit. Details of his WW1 service are sketchy but if he was drafted onto the General Staff he must have been a sharp cookie even then.

Which leads us neatly onto......

image.png.a6bebf23477bf90d2e0a6e1bf62339b7.png

An image from Pininterest again found via Duck Duck Go. Sorry to put up a second youthful individual UG but I sense the inmates are on a roll and can cope with two at once.

Edited by Fattyowls

14 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

UG is spot on, it is the young Heinz Guderian. As we were discussing the role of Erwin Rommel who characteristically got much of the publicity for the events of May 1940 I thought I would post the man who I think deserves more of the credit. Details of his WW1 service are sketchy but if he was drafted onto the General Staff he must have been a sharp cookie even then.

Which leads us neatly onto......

image.png.a6bebf23477bf90d2e0a6e1bf62339b7.png

An image from Pininterest again found via Duck Duck Go. Sorry to put up a second youthful individual UG but I sense the inmates are on a roll and can cope with two at once.

He looks like Manstein.

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He looks like Manstein.

Because that's who it is, good stuff UG. I thought that since we had the poster boy and the real driving force of Case Yellow we should feature its designer. Von Manstein  was one of the bright young staff officers under first Von Gallwitz at Verdun and later with Von Lossberg on the Somme apparently, although I'd like to follow all of their experiences up. How that influenced their decisions during the second unpleasantness fascinates me.

Pete.

P.S. There is something familiar about the young man you posted but I'm struggling to turn that into any kind of search.

Edited by Fattyowls
Only vague grasp of the rules of English

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

While we await Pete's confimation (or not), who is this ? ? ?

image.jpg

Garson de Gaulle. 

How about this chap???

abc.jpg.657eb621e8de810642590a3293a317d4.jpg

Edited by neverforget

51 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Garson de Gaulle. 

Yes, the Great Asparagus himself. Image from Charles Williams' 'The Last Great Frenchman' (1993).

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Yes, the Great Asparagus himself. Image from Charles Williams' 'The Last Great Frenchman' (1993).

My good fortune that you chose a picture with which I was familiar. 

My heroic chap was shot in the head by a sniper but survived. 

On 12/12/2017 at 23:30, voltaire60 said:

Try the story  of AP Scotland (London Cage) and the tale in "Blackwoods" about him serving as Schottland in German South West.  It was "bo****s  that would  adorn an African elephant.

A warrant was issued for  the arrest of Alexander Paterson  Scotland  after he refused to handover files which he had at his home, referring to war crimes. The duty police inspector played it very cleverly by ringing him at home in London explaining what was about to happen. Scotland quickly handed over the files.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

55 minutes ago, neverforget said:

My good fortune that you chose a picture with which I was familiar. 

Same for me with this one from your good self

abc.jpg.657eb621e8de810642590a3293a317d4

That is Angus Buchanan VC, MC of Coleford in Gloucestershire, who’s grave I visited  early this summer.

Link to brief history https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Buchanan_(VC), and a film of his VC investiture from pathé news:-

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/royal-visit-to-bristol-and-bath-investiture-at-dur/query/bristol

This is from Daily Telegraph in 2014, and has the same photo as it’s lead in:-http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-one/inside-first-world-war/part-eleven/10938597/blind-victoria-cross-winner-coleford-gloucestershire.html

Fair cop John. Your last link was the one I had ready to post.

Hi NF

I was involved in some local history research etc. and it was a coincidence that you happened to pick him and I still had links to his life etc, on the iPad these  might be of interest:-

http://www.vconline.org.uk/angus-buchanan-vc/4586005053

https://www.worldwar1postcards.com/dunstans.php

Continuing the theme of the young Guderian, Manstein, de Gaulle.

(He is not Pete Doherty).

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

Thanks John. I'd had him on my mind for a while. A remarkable man who showed great courage both during and after the war. Died at 49, so not a good innings at all really. I remember posting Arthur Pearson a long time ago. Seems almost another lifetime ago actually. 

Haven't a clue on your Pete Doherty lookalike Uncle George, other than perhaps a Russian, but I'm not even too sure about that.

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Pete Doherty

Though I bl**dy well recognised him as a musician but couldn’t put a name to him, thanks NF.

I also think that he’s Russian and by the looks of it, that star on his headpiece suggests the photo is post revolution.

Doherty was UG's shout to be fair. 

Thanks for pointing it out NF and apologies to you UG, must have seen it and carried the thought sub-consciously into reading the next post.

Still not got a clue on his identification though.

7 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Still not got a clue on his identification though.

He was a military thinker, theoretician, author: and he and de Gaulle had even more in common - a close connection, in fact.

12 hours ago, Uncle George said:

He was a military thinker, theoretician, author: and he and de Gaulle had even more in common - a close connection, in fact.

I notice on de Gaulle's wiki page a reference to him meeting one Marshal Mikhail Tukhachevsky whilst being held as a P.O.W. The link to Tukhachevsky's page provides this picture: 

5a38d77144beb_.._.jpg.d4fe819f2ed9197abf126e7218887b09.jpg

I'm not convinced, but I'll put him forward as a suggestion?

EDIT: 

Having now looked for images of him, I found your picture. Result !

Edited by neverforget

NF 

Done the same but didn’t link picture as being same chap

Nice one UG a very “obscure” person to say the least.

Yes that's him. Born into the aristocracy, served in the Russian Imperial army during the GW,  Red Army officer, tortured and murdered by UJ. He developed the theory of Deep Operation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_operation

EDIT - I meant to add that he was taught French by de Gaulle when they were PoWs together at Fort IX at Ingolstadt in 1917.

Edited by Uncle George

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Yes that's him. Born into the aristocracy, served in the Russian Imperial army during the GW,  Red Army officer, tortured and murdered by UJ. He developed the theory of Deep Operation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_operation

Good post uncle; by bitter irony one of the men who I wondered that it might be was that lovable scamp Lavrentry Beria. While searching I came upon a picture of him with Stalin's daughter Svetlana on his knee with uncle Joe in the background; it is chilling in the extreme.

Pete.

Whilst on the subject of undesirables: 

bl.jpg.530a5d4ceca0e8eb77b5fe1b33867b15.jpg

49 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Whilst on the subject of undesirables: 

bl.jpg.530a5d4ceca0e8eb77b5fe1b33867b15.jpg

He looks Irish to me. Is he Irish? If so, is he Michael Keogh ("The Man Who Saved Hitler)?

8 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He looks Irish to me. Is he Irish? If so, is he Michael Keogh ("The Man Who Saved Hitler)?

He's a German. Seen here wearing a rope necktie.