Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

NF & Pete

Goodness me what a run around needed to find a photo that matched the drawing, only to find I could have ignored the majority. (Still being careful with logging on, missed post#7842 and others.)

Anyway with Pete’s help (again) with ref to the Ottoman connection I conclude that it’s Generalfeldmarschall Hermann Emil Gottfried von Eichhorn who was assassinated in Kiev 30/7/1918.

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/1922_Encyclopædia_Britannica/Eichhorn,_Hermann_von.

Talk about coincidences happening on the GWF, yesterday I was going through old photos I have taken, and in a folder on its own was a pic of Capt. John Lauder’s headstone, why it was on its own I can’t remember. (Apologies for size,I have my reasons!)

6AB3C972-A2C9-4781-BA26-F4E4EE3E8D68.jpeg

9 hours ago, Knotty said:

NF & Pete

Goodness me what a run around needed to find a photo that matched the drawing, only to find I could have ignored the majority. (Still being careful with logging on, missed post#7842 and others.)

Anyway with Pete’s help (again) with ref to the Ottoman connection I conclude that it’s Generalfeldmarschall Hermann Emil Gottfried von Eichhorn who was assassinated in Kiev 30/7/1918.

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/1922_Encyclopædia_Britannica/Eichhorn,_Hermann_von.

Talk about coincidences happening on the GWF, yesterday I was going through old photos I have taken, and in a folder on its own was a pic of Capt. John Lauder’s headstone, why it was on its own I can’t remember. (Apologies for size,I have my reasons!)

6AB3C972-A2C9-4781-BA26-F4E4EE3E8D68.jpeg

Generalfeldmarschall Hermann Emil Gottfried von Eichhorn it is John, well played, though Pete clearly knew him but for some reason omitted to provide us with his name.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/people_eichhorn_hermann.html

The highest ranking German to be killed in WW1, though as you and Ron spotted there were actually two listed of the same rank, but von Bulow died in 1921.

He is buried next to von Schlieffen, and was murdered by Boris Mikhailovich Donskoy, a Russian terrorist-revolutionary. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Donskoy

Seen here taking a moment to reflect upon his actions:

526885238.jpg.056f018b99fb5fd0af45f00631e7060f.jpg

Thanks for the picture of John Lauder's grave. I have recently read several very moving accounts from his father, (who writes beautifully) on the struggles he bore coping with his son's death and visits to his grave etc.

The name of the book escapes me at the moment, and as I am still incapacitated I can't look at my books, but Harry's words actually brought tears to my eyes.

Harry Lauder's book:

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/11211/pg11211-images.html

"My whole perspective was changed by my visit to the front. Never again shall I know those moments of black despair that used to come to me. In my thoughts I shall never be far away from the little cemetery hard by the Bapaume road. And life would not be worth the living for me did I not believe that each day brings me nearer to seeing him again."

Speaking of David, I see we are on page 300. 

18 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Harry Lauder's book:

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/11211/pg11211-images.html

"My whole perspective was changed by my visit to the front. Never again shall I know those moments of black despair that used to come to me. In my thoughts I shall never be far away from the little cemetery hard by the Bapaume road. And life would not be worth the living for me did I not believe that each day brings me nearer to seeing him again."

Speaking of David, I see we are on page 300. 

Thanks for that link. The accounts I read were in someone else's book, which infuriatingly still escapes me. I wasn't aware of Lauder's book before you brought it to my attention, but when my wife comes to visit me later I will ask her to put it on my letter to Father Christmas 👍

I've just noticed that page 300 has coincided with my passing 3,000 posts.

Edited by neverforget

Harry Fusao  O'Hara- born Tokyo 1891, fighter pilot RFC/RAF in the Great War.  His claim to fame?  Narrowed it down to one of 2

1)  The only Japanese fighter pilot  on the Western Front

2)  The first man to have dentures fitted in Sidcup in 1923.

Tough call.

Harry Fusao  O'Hara- born Tokyo 1891, fighter pilot RFC/RAF in the Great War.  His claim to fame?  Narrowed it down to one of 2

1)  The only Japanese fighter pilot  on the Western Front

2)  The first man to have dentures fitted in Sidcup in 1923.

Tough call.

It is indeed the bizarrely named O'Hara, and he may well have been the first man to have dentures fitted in Sidcup, but I don't think he was the only "nip in the air" (forgive me) on the Western Front.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

It is indeed the bizarrely named O'Hara, and he may well have been the first man to have dentures fitted in Sidcup, but I don't think he was the only "nip in the air" (forgive me) on the Western Front.

Then the pioneer of dentures in Sidcup in 1923 it must be-by a process of elimination

Well done gents, it is indeed Harry Fusao O’Hara, “allegedly” the only RFC/RAF Japanese pilot on the Western Front.

Born in 1891 he was also a soldier of the Indian Army, in 1914, serving with the 34th Sikh Pioneers in Mesopotamia until December 1915 whereupon he transferred to the Middlesex Regiment serving in France and during this time he was awarded his MM, in March 1917 he transferred to RFC and passed his flying certificate in July 1917. Rules did not allow him to be an officer but as a sargeant he was allowed to fly and as such joined No.1 Squadron Flying SE 5a, he was wounded in June 1918 and at this point the Sidcup connection comes in with his facial injury.

He married Muriel McDonald in 1917 and lived in London after the war,  declared an alien at the outbreak of WW2 he was not interned, and he died in 1951.

How about this gent???

jpg.jpg.cf928e255cefcbaea60600a5cf3f3979.jpg

11 hours ago, neverforget said:

I don't think he was the only "nip in the air" (forgive me).

No. That's like crime in a multi-storey car park. Wrong on so many levels. At least it suggest you are on the mend Mr Plumb.

Pete.

Boom boom!

Indeed so Pete. I've been released on parole, and intend to return to indulge myself in the joys of toolmaking by next weekend. 

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Boom boom!

Indeed so Pete. I've been released on parole, and intend to return to indulge myself in the joys of toolmaking by next weekend. 

Thank you Basil Brush. Anyway don't blame me, blame Tim Vine as it is one of his. Good to know you've been released for good behaviour, good to know also that after decades of toolmaking it still gives you joy (or is that what people with a sense of humour call irony?).

While we are at it who is this then? (image from Youtube).

Pete.

5a06fd5c93875_tophat.jpg.00898420cf999778b637082802a0e26b.jpg

7 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Thank you Basil Brush. Anyway don't blame me, blame Tim Vine as it is one of his. Good to know you've been released for good behaviour, good to know also that after decades of toolmaking it still gives you joy (or is that what people with a sense of humour call irony?).

Pete.

The world's shortest book would carry the title "The joys of toolmaking" Pete. 

Closely followed by "Happiness is a blue nose".

Just now, Knotty said:

Nf

Is your aviator wearing a French uniform?

He is indeed John.

24 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Pete.

Is your man a cunningly disguised Georges Carpentier Pete?

He went into the world of entertainment after he retired from boxing.

Nf

My information shows that France had 5 Japanese aviators and 1 Chinese, if you are back on form I suggest that you have sent a curve ball and he is the Chinese officer, all I have to do now is find all the name of all these gentleman, the rugby has just started Scotland have scored, I may be a while.

John

ps The RFC/RAF appears to have trained just 3 Japanese, one of them became synonymous with WW2

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Nf

My information shows that France had 5 Japanese aviators and 1 Chinese, if you are back on form I suggest that you have sent a curve ball and he is the Chinese officer, all I have to do now is find all the name of all these gentleman, the rugby has just started Scotland have scored, I may be a while.

John

ps The RFC/RAF appears to have trained just 3 Japanese, one of them became synonymous with WW2

Your information coincides with mine John.

Plus; I think you have me sussed.

Ok the rugby’s over, one of the best I’ve watched for sometime.

Back to the business in hand and I have the Chinese officer flying for the French by the name of Zhu Binhou also known as Etienne Tsu, he was born in Shanghai in 1885. He was sent to Europe for his higher studies in 1890 and in 1903, he graduated from the School of Mechanics of Lille with a degree in engineering. On his return to Shanghai, he undertook research in the field of the shipbuilding and then later into the beginnings of the automobile industry. However he returned to France in 1913 to learn to fly at Villacoublay. 

License number 1609 was awarded to him on  6/3/1914, eventually he joined the French Foreign Legion, and joined there Escadrille SPA.37 of the French Air Service in 1915; and he is credited with downing five German aircraft and observation balloons, and four probables between 10 July 1916 and 7 January 1917. Demobilized in 1919, he returned to China where he took part in the creation of the Chinese Flying school which was equipped with French machines. A Colonel in 1925, he died realitively young in Shanghai in 1940.

John

Edited by Knotty

Perfect answer John. Top marks.

To complete the circle; the five Japanese pilots are as follows:

Kiyotake Shigeno, Onokishi Isobe, Shukuosuke Kobayashi, Nobuo Yamanaka and Goroku Moro, all who served in the French Air Service.

Shigeno had learned to fly in France in 1912. When the war started, he returned to France and volunteered for service. He flew as an observer  in two-seaters and then as a combat pilot in Nieuports and eventually SPADs. He was officially credited with two victories and survived the war.

Isobe transferred from the Japanese Navy to the French Foreign Legion in 1915 and soon was flying Nieuports in combat. He was badly injured in 1917 and returned to Japan.

Kobayashi also transferred from the Foreign Legion to the Aviation Service and began flying SPADs in combat. He was killed in action in June 1918.

Yamanaka flew Nieuports with N. 49 and then a SPAD VII with Spa.77. He was severely injured in a crash in 1918 ending his wartime service.

Moro was already an accomplished pilot when the war started. He volunteered to fight for France, was assigned to a Caudron unit and survived the war.

This will come as an easy one, who is this airman and what was his contribution to 

the next world conflict

13D40A42-6518-4911-999D-2975C67413FE.jpeg.ec62aa6e9cc38658be266ca6a58aba43.jpeg

Admiral Onishi?

I came across him during my previous search, as perhaps you did too.

He was the lunatic who persuaded other lunatics to go kamakasi. Kind of a ww2 Japanese version of a terrorist Imam.

Edited by neverforget

NF

Thats the chap, interesting that he was in the first training course of pilots organised by the newly formed RAF in April 1918 at Netheravon.