Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Images of black British soldiers on the Western Front.

Lascar

I am in the process of starting a on line collection of images of British soldiers who visually do not look Caucasian. Can anyone send me any images or direct me to where I can view these images?

The accepted, but erroneous view is that Edwardian Britain had no ethnic minorities until after the Second World War. However, looking at censuses, research and images, would tell us there were long-established communities in Liverpool (mainly black and Chinese), South Sheilds (Arab Muslim) and London (from all over the Empire).

With my life-long interest in the First World War, I have viewed many images of British combatants and no combatants during this period. There are a few known images such as Walter Tully and Arthur Roberts and a few photos of unknown soldiers; there are also references to "coloured" soldiers be they bi-racial, South Asian or "not white".

I have some images that I would like to share. One is an unknown and the Scottish soldier is Arthur Roberts.

Regards

Mo Husain

post-73560-0-20804000-1404515347_thumb.jpost-73560-0-32723900-1404515381_thumb.j

Some yrs back I saw a picture but can't recall if in a magazine or on the web that was very interesting. It showed a grp of about 4-6 black British soldiers all wearing cap badges of the RFA or the RGA, can't recall which or any other details. I do think it was taken in UK. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Could there be a topic on here already addressing this subject?

Try googling British West Indian Regiment WW1. Also try googling some of the Indian Regiments that fought on the WF.

The MOD ran a project some years ago called 'We were there' - I think it's still cached somewhere online.

I can also offer a naval surgeon from Port of Spain if you are interested in more than soldiers.

post-73560-0-40707800-1404602159_thumb.jHi All,

Thanks for all the replies! I'm really impressed by the information and the knowledge of the forum. The photo above posted by Centurion, I have seen before and will now be in my collection. Thanks for posting that one. Can you, Centurion, give me any details about the fellows standing beside their tank? Are they British? There are several of Walter Tully that are available in cyberspace. The site, 'We Were There,' doesn't really tell one much about British minorities who fought in the Frist War.

Another point, and maybe this is just hearsay, but I have heard that a South Shields unit was called, 'Black Birds', due to the fact that a lot of the men in outfit were 'coloured'. This may reflect the fact that the men who joined up would have been of Arab Muslim ((Aden) descent or bi-racial and from the long established ethnic community from that area. Can anyone confirm this? My hunch is that the any members who have lists of South Shields men who fought in the war would be able to see if any Muslim names were on the roll.

The photo I have posted is of Walter Tully, who was thought to be the only black (bi-racial) officer in the First War. In fact there were two! I have the name and details of the other officer, but no image. Can anyone help?

Here's a photo sent to me by Moonraker - thanks! Details of this photo are on his page. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mo Husain

post-73560-0-72189300-1404618379_thumb.j

It's a splendid photograph, but I agree with Steve B and Stoppage Drill on Moonraker's thread .... I see no Asian features and the range of apparent complexions seems consistent with the diverse genetic make-up of the British population over the centuries and simple weathering of the men's faces. The man whose face is apparently darkest (second from the left on the row behind the officer) has features that are characteristically British. The one man who just might have some Asian ancestry is second from the left on the back row, but I would not put money on it.

The black British officer was called Walter Tull, by the way, not Tully.

attachicon.gifimages9SC4ZC45.jpgHi All,

Thanks for all the replies! I'm really impressed by the information and the knowledge of the forum. The photo above posted by Centurion, I have seen before and will now be in my collection. Thanks for posting that one. Can you, Centurion, give me any details about the fellows standing beside their tank? Are they British? ?

They are British (Tank Corps) and standing by a Mk IX tank. These were intended to be APCs doubling up as cargo carriers but in trials proved to be over weight and underpowered and only a limited number were built The tank in the photo reached France along with two others of this type in October 1918

It's a splendid photograph, but I agree with Steve B and Stoppage Drill on Moonraker's thread .... I see no Asian features and the range of apparent complexions seems consistent with the diverse genetic make-up of the British population over the centuries and simple weathering of the men's faces. The man whose face is apparently darkest (second from the left on the row behind the officer) has features that are characteristically British. The one man who just might have some Asian ancestry is second from the left on the back row, but I would not put money on it.

The black British officer was called Walter Tull, by the way, not Tully.

This guy in the 3rd row perhaps

post-9885-0-36577500-1404640011_thumb.jp

However having worked in (and been resident in) the Gulf on and pff over a period of 15 years I think you are on a hiding to nothing. I've known many Arabs who, taken out of their dishdash and dressed in slacks shirt and sports jacket would be indistinguishable from many a Home Counties (or Geordie or Brummie etc) lad. Indeed when on a course in Kent I found myself standing in a pub bar next to Mohamed Amenai who was the computer operations manager with whom I,d been working alongside for 6 months and because he was in an environment with which I did not associate him and dressed in Western clothes did not recognise him until he spoke to me!

post-73560-0-37206400-1404652666_thumb.j

I found this collage of photos on a site called Black History Month. I think the man on the bottom right is an American airman. Not sure about the two fellows on the top middle. The three arrows pointing out the black soldiers is interesting. If you look in the top right-hand corner of that photo, there appears to be two more soldiers of sub-Saharan African descent.

Does any members have any information on these photos?"

I have often wondered about the chap in the middle of this close up of members of the 7th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-37802000-1404657892_thumb.j

77360 2nd Class Air Mechanic/Flight Sergeant Harry Fusao/Fusdo O'Hara, Military Medal, Royal Flying Corps from Tokyo, Japan.
He was the first Japanese Pilot to fly in the British Air Services. Harry had also served in the 36th Sikh Pioneers and the 5th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-92414300-1404658621_thumb.j

attachicon.gifblack-british-soldiers.jpg

I found this collage of photos on a site called Black History Month. I think the man on the bottom right is an American airman. Not sure about the two fellows on the top middle. The three arrows pointing out the black soldiers is interesting. If you look in the top right-hand corner of that photo, there appears to be two more soldiers of sub-Saharan African descent.

Does any members have any information on these photos?"

I think the officer on the top row is in the Assyrian Levies ( mainly raised raised from Persian Christians with some Zoastrians)

77360 2nd Class Air Mechanic/Flight Sergeant Harry Fusao/Fusdo O'Hara, Military Medal, Royal Flying Corps from Tokyo, Japan.

He was the first Japanese Pilot to fly in the British Air Services. Harry had also served in the 36th Sikh Pioneers and the 5th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment.

Sepoy

I posted some stuff on him ages ago

post-9885-0-70735300-1404659814_thumb.jp

Originally a newspaper reporter Still living as a Japanese national in Britain in WW2 but not interned

They are British (Tank Corps) and standing by a Mk IX tank. These were intended to be APCs doubling up as cargo carriers but in trials proved to be over weight and underpowered and only a limited number were built The tank in the photo reached France along with two others of this type in October 1918

I've not seen evidence that 937 reached France. 903, 907 and 909 did. I suspect the photo is taken just post-war at Bovington.

Gwyn

Thanks High Wood for the information on the Beamond brothers. It was greatly appreciated.

I have found some more images which I will post later one.

Mo Husain

I've not seen evidence that 937 reached France. 903, 907 and 909 did. I suspect the photo is taken just post-war at Bovington.

Gwyn

Thanks for this post.

Any more info would also be greatly appreciated.

Mo Husain

There's a project in Liverpool looking at the experience of local black soldiers (like other port cities they had a greater proportion of black inhabitants at the time), see http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/get-involved/appeals/index.aspx

There's a project in Liverpool looking at the experience of local black soldiers (like other port cities they had a greater proportion of black inhabitants at the time), see http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/get-involved/appeals/index.aspx

There were a lot of US coloured soldiers in Liverpool during WW1. There was a well-known riot amongst them that saw the death of a civilian nurse. They had been overstaying an evening out and were being reprimanded for staying out past "lights out".

post-73560-0-57058600-1404734063_thumb.j

Thanks to David Underwood for directing me to the history of the black community in Liverpool, England.

Here is a photo of the seaman Marcus Bailey who was born in Bridgetown, Barbados in 1883. I am not sure what year he arrived in Britain, but had three children born in the city. He was on the naval vessel HMS Chester as an able seaman and was in the Battle of Jutland. Next to him is an unknown British soldier.

Can anyone enlighten me on the soldier's regiment from his uniform?

Thanks
Mo Husain