Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppy Emblem

Guest Stoner

I remember thinking that the Scots must have obtained the machines, surplus petals etc when England went over to the more modern plastic poppy. Possibly not though, as the Scots must have sold poppies before the change in England. I suppose it depends on if the Scots poppies had been sourced from the RBL poppy factory near London?

The Scottish Poppies are NOT left overs from the RBL in London!! :angry:

The Earl Haig Fund Scotland produces its poppies, as it always has done, at its own factory, 'Lady Haig's Poppy Factory' in Edinburgh. Of the 32 workers, 24 are disabled ex-Servicemen, and every year they produce 5 million poppies and 7,000 wreaths. Contrary to popular belief, the Fund and the Royal British Legion Scotland are separate, but have shared aims. Considerable support is received from Legion sources. Neither body is part of or connected with the Royal British Legion based in London.

In my youth, as a Scout, I always volunteered for Poppy selling in November and was always able to sell-out each time, regularly persuading foreign tourists etc to buy one by explaining that it was a symbol of remembrance for ALL who suffered and died, in ALL wars, not just WW1 and 2.

As for white ( and Green!) 'Poppies', I wouldn't give them the time of day. It's quasi-political bandwaggoning of the worst kind.

As for white ( and Green!) 'Poppies', I wouldn't give them the time of day. It's quasi-political bandwaggoning of the worst kind.

Thanks for the information about the Earl Haig Fund Scotland producing poppies at the 'Lady Haig's Poppy Factory' in Edinburgh.

What is/was a "Green Poppy"?

... Does anyone know the date when England changed to the current type of plastic poppy? Also, when the wording in the centre changed from "Haig Fund" to "Poppy Appeal"? ...

At the risk of reopening our favourite can of worms, is it the case that the poppy appeal is no longer associated with Earl Haig, and if so, how did that come about? I have always bought one in the hope that the money would do some good but I have never worn it because I could not stomach the Haig connection. As a gesture of sympathy and fellowship with the rank and file, the appeal seems to have been too little and was certainly too late for so many. I always suspected that in putting his name to it, Haig was at least as interested in rehabilitating himself as he was in helping the troops. The word hypocrisy suggests itself. The whole genesis of the charity stuns me. We found limitless sums of money to put people through hell, then left the survivors to depend on handouts. Public duty must have looked like a one-way street to those who came back without their limbs or their health or their equilibrium.

Sorry if this seems inappropriately bitter. I do value the good intentions and good works of those who are associated with the appeal.

I always suspected that in putting his name to it, Haig was at least as interested in rehabilitating himself as he was in helping the troops. The word hypocrisy suggests itself.

I feel you do the man a disservice.

He certainly had no need to rehabilitate himself. He was held in high esteem by the majority of the population and feted wherever he went, drawing huge crowds of admirers and supporters whenever he appeared in public. He felt as badly as you do about the treatment of 'his' men on their return from the war and set about doing something to improve their lot. Not just with the Haig Poppy Fund and factories but also with the establishment of the British Legion, The Haig Foundation, Haig Homes and, along with Admiral Beatty, provided patronage of 'The Tavistock', the spiritual home of Psychoanalytic Practice in the U.K.

I always suspected that in putting his name to it, Haig was at least as interested in rehabilitating himself as he was in helping the troops. The word hypocrisy suggests itself. The whole genesis of the charity stuns me. We found limitless sums of money to put people through hell, then left the survivors to depend on handouts. Public duty must have looked like a one-way street to those who came back without their limbs or their health or their equilibrium.

Sorry if this seems inappropriately bitter. I do value the good intentions and good works of those who are associated with the appeal.

Clive

I think that rather a lot of WW1 soldiers would have agreed with your view.

In 1918, along with details of where and when he was wounded, a Private Lambert of the Warwickshires wrote in the back of a V.A.D.s autograph book that I have:

"Disabled, Diddled and Done 'Ever been had' "

post-8-1067987103.jpg

At the risk of being cashiered, can I mention the white poppy, the symbol of the Peace Pledge Union and intended to be a symbol of grief for all people of all nationalities, armed forces and civilians alike, who are victims of war.

What are members feelings on the wearing of white poppies?

Roy :huh:

Whilst hunting for a red poppy seller I saw White poppies on sale here in Derbyshire today.

This is the first time I've seen this since the early '80s.

This must be something to do with peoples opposition to the war in Iraq being ignored by the government.