Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant John Lyon Worthington DCM, MM

BereniceUK

This shows how much expertise and help there is available to forum members. It is also a lesson in how to conduct research when you think you've hit a brick wall.

So does the CWGC need to be made aware of all this so as to put the record straight?

Joseph Lyon Worthington served as Joseph Lyon

The Thiepval Memorial presumably has his name as 'Joseph Lyon.' Is there an online corrections page to the Memorial where the updated information can be shown?

There isnt an online form as such on the CWGC website so notification would have to be by email.

That said, we havnt yet got any official documentary evidence as to what his name actually was. Birth or marriage certificate would be needed to persuade CWGC that their info needs correction. Quite rightly, they will not act on a newspaper report.

John

Is his Will sufficient? It is an informal soldier's will but must have some weight as it is lodged with the UK Government.

In the meantime, should the inverted commas from the heading of this thread be removed?

Is his Will sufficient?

Possibly. But I'd be happier to suggest to Berenice that the birth or, preferably, marriage certificate will carry much greater weight.

In the meantime, should the inverted commas from the heading of this thread be removed?

Yes, definitely, but I've tried to edit it and can't.

I think I've found Joseph & Ann's marriage in 1895 at St George's, Tyldesley. She was Ann Almond.

Okay, when I get the chance to, I'll go and look for the date of the marriage in the Leigh newspapers as I assume that I'd need that info to get a copy of the marriage certificate. The couple's names, the year of the marriage, and where it took place, would that be sufficient?

Unfortunately, and on re-checking the listing, the marriage certificate isnt going to help. FreeBMD lists the entry simply as Joseph Worthington.

• 7 months later...

To follow up on this thread, the Army Register of Soldiers' Effects, which has just appeared on ancestry, confirms that Sjt Joseph Lyon's widow was, indeed, Anne Worthington - here.

C

• 3 years later...
On 5/23/2014 at 5:45 PM, BereniceUK said:

09671d0b-bef7-4b13-86bd-54f6a8291c04.jpg

1dfdeb8c-e11e-457d-b7f7-5b6edd2cfc4d.jpg

c1036433-22a3-495b-9894-3671783381fb.jpg

20c0c05a-1215-47b3-adfb-c0fdd4f2c10f.jpg

The above article was in the Leigh Journal of 6th October 1916.

Below is from the same newspaper of 8th November 1918.

T

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the information - I'm presently covering the 'Additions to gravestones' in Tyldesley Cemetery for the IWM's War Memorials Project, and this memorial was one of the 37 I found there. I couldn't find Sgt Worthington until I came across this entry, which I've added under 'References' in the record (WMR 92449).

For the record - he did win a DCM and a MM. DCM citation in LG 29447 on 22-01-1916 (see below). MM in LG 29731 01-09-1916.

Sad that they are not recorded under his full name!

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 10.46.10.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 10.38.35.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

LYON  Joseph DCM MM A/SGT 10371 KIA FRANCE 15.9.16.DCM details as previous post.

MM L/Gaz 1.9.16. schedule no 41114 which reveals it as a single award to 2/G GDS IN THE 1.9.16. Gazette

Served as LYON. BEST W, Howard

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, this gentleman is my great-great grandfather. He did indeed receive the DCM and MM medals and have been passed down through the family - unfortunately not to my side (yet). 

His name is Joseph Lyon Worthington, but is registered at Thiepval as only Joseph Lyon, for some reason unknown.

Attached is a picture of him, and I thank you for finding out some more info about my distant relatives. 

Screenshot_20210224-211859_WhatsApp.jpg