Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sancourt British cemetery commemorating medal winners

margaretdufay

Hello Margaret

Not knowing this cemetery I was interested to see that all but half-a-dozen of the occupants are Canadians. Good pix as always.

Cheers Martin B

• 4 months later...

Remembering Gilbert Fairbairn, killed this day in 1918 and all the others who lie at Sancourt.

Thanks for the photos.

• 7 years later...
On 12/04/2014 at 12:54, margaretdufay said:

CONNELLY, ROBERT GEORGE Rank: Sergeant Service No: 178084 Date of Death: 30/09/1918 Age: 34 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry "C" Coy. 1st Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference I. B. 11. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Mrs. Margaret Connelly, of North Bay, Ontario.cONNELLY_zps025d37a2.jpg

Hello Margaret,

I am a new member from Canada. Back in 2014 you posted about the medal winners in Sancourt British Cemetery, including a relative of mine, Robert George Connelly. I was wondering if you still had the referenced photo of his grave marker, as it is no longer available in the post?  

Thanks for your help

Paul Allen

On 12/04/2014 at 12:54, margaretdufay said:

CONNELLY, ROBERT GEORGE Rank: Sergeant Service No: 178084 Date of Death: 30/09/1918 Age: 34 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry "C" Coy. 1st Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference I. B. 11. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Mrs. Margaret Connelly, of North Bay, Ontario.cONNELLY_zps025d37a2.jpg

Hello Margaret,

I am a new member from Canada. Back in 2014 you posted about the medal winners in Sancourt British Cemetery, including a relative of mine, Robert George Connelly. I was wondering if you still had the referenced photo of his grave marker, as it is no longer available in the post?  

Thanks for your help

Paul Allen

1 hour ago, Paul99 said:

a relative of mine, Robert George Connelly. I was wondering if you still had the referenced photo of his grave marker, as it is no longer available in the post?  

Paul,

Welcome to GWF.

I don't know if this link to Find A Grave helps you with his grave headstone [and a sadly unattributed/unprovenanced photo that is said to be him]

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/25242762/robert-george-connelly 

M

Edit: I hope you already have this, but just in case = his service record at Libraries and Archives Canada: https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B1917-S052 

And here is the London Gazette announcing his Military Medal https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30573/supplement/3250 

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit

• Admin

If @margaretdufay hasn’t got it, there is an outside chance (not promising) I might be able to get it next month. 

Matlock1418,

Thanks for the information and the quick response. I had his service records and the same photo of him and I appreciate the photo of his grave stone.

Michelle, thanks for your kind offer.

I am very happy to have joined the forum.

Paul 

• Admin

Tomorrow, I will check my photos of my previous visit to the cemetery, to see if I do have the photo already. 

• Admin

I've just looked at my photos. Unfortunately, I don't have an image of the headstone.

Wow Margret, these are fabulous! Thank you so much for your assistance.

Michelle, thanks for your efforts.

I really appreciate the kindness and quick responses of this group!

Paul

It’s a lot easier taking and sending the pictures with my phone than it used to take with my camera. I was very happy to help. 

Edited by margaretdufay

• Admin

The pave up to the cemetery is wonderful isn’t it Margaret?