Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sancourt British cemetery commemorating medal winners

margaretdufay

Have often past by this cemetery, without taking the time to stop, so I did so today, was shocked that practically all the graves were within about one week of each other, and of the 200 graves there were about 30 medal winners, which seems to be quite high.

So here is the first one, as always hope it is of interest

Mags

SUTHERLAND, WILLIAM Rank: Sergeant Service No: 202174 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 30 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 1st Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference I. D. 19. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

WSutherland_zps3ad94569.jpg

SIMPSON, J

Sergeant

Service No:

Date of Death:

01/10/1918

Regiment/Service:

Canadian Infantry

1st Bn.

Awards:

D C M

Grave Reference

I. D. 15.

Cemetery

SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of William and Ann Simpson, of Liverpool, England; husband of Edith M. Simpson, of Hamilton, Ontario.

JSimpson_zps9ac50ce2.jpg

HALSTEAD, CHESTER WILLIAM Rank: Lieutenant Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 39 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 1st Bn. Awards: M C Grave Reference I. C. 7. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Abel and Elizabeth Halstead; husband of Ada J. Halstead, of Ridgetown, Ontario.

JSeward_zpsda14fd9e.jpg

Last one for tonight, will continue tomorrow

Hi Mags.

Hope you are having a nice time.

Born in Ireland i believe.

Courtesy of http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/566788

Walter

post-64827-0-22008200-1395267538_thumb.j

Thanks for that Walter, it's nice getting some more information about each person, and yes but I live over here but the weather is good at the moment

margaret

Fantastic images Mags as normal......about 15% of the total burials having been decorated does seem a highly unsusual proportion?.

HALSTEAD, CHESTER WILLIAM Rank: Lieutenant Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 39 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 1st Bn. Awards: M C Grave Reference I. C. 7. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Abel and Elizabeth Halstead; husband of Ada J. Halstead, of Ridgetown, Ontario.

JSeward_zpsda14fd9e.jpg

Found this link for him

http://www.google.fr...kpT5_zTeSAI1w6Q

had to edit this as I had posted the wrong page from the cwgc

mags

CRAWFORD, ROYAL BRUCE

Lieutenant

Date of Death:

01/10/1918

Regiment/Service:

Canadian Infantry

1st Bn.

Awards:

M M

Grave Reference

I. C. 19.

Cemetery

Additional Information:

Son of George J. A. and Lomila K. Crawford, of Sarnia, Ontario.

found this link also https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcanadiangreatwarproject.com%2Fsearches%2FsoldierDetail.asp%3FID%3D36540&ei=hF4rU4WMJM3J0AWYvYDwDw&usg=AFQjCNF0z44fMRGkugR_yuReQU2ENpHTkw&sig2=DDK-s4j3TEyd4LaZjbwJjw

crawford_zpscba02247.jpg

SCARLETT, WILLIAM HENRY

Corporal

Service No:

Date of Death:

01/10/1918

Regiment/Service:

Canadian Infantry

1st Bn.

Awards:

M M

Grave Reference

I. C. 21.

Cemetery

Additional Information:

Son of Samuel and Mary Scarlett, of South River, Ontario.

another link to som info

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CHgQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.canadiangreatwarproject.com%2Fsearches%2FsoldierDetail.asp%3FId%3D36626&ei=hWErU7vGEsqN0AWzmIGAAQ&usg=AFQjCNFqfB-v7Qj0WN3GcdQj-GxB86pqxA&sig2=8S16JGisECqJQJmWfW3AwA

DSCN8863_zps6eb69d64.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

HOLLAND, J Rank: Lance Corporal Service No: 436376 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 4th Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference I. C. 39. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

hollandj_zps8b2b6935.jpg

DUFFY, M Rank: Sergeant Service No: 150068 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Regiment/Service: Canadian Machine Gun Corps 1st Bn. Awards: D C M, M M Grave Reference I. C. 30. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY duffym_zps7470e732.jpg

MAYRS, DAVID KENNEDY Rank: Sergeant Service No: 187104 Date of Death: 29/09/1918 Age: 26 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 8th Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference I. B. 40. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of John and Margaret B. Mayrs, of Seven Oaks, Winnipeg. Native of Crosscanley, Coleraine, Derry, Ireland.

mayrs_zps670aa85f.jpg

CONNELLY, ROBERT GEORGE Rank: Sergeant Service No: 178084 Date of Death: 30/09/1918 Age: 34 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry "C" Coy. 1st Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference I. B. 11. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Mrs. Margaret Connelly, of North Bay, Ontario.cONNELLY_zps025d37a2.jpg

ELCHER, LESLIE KENNETH Rank: Captain Date of Death: 29/09/1918 Age: 23 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 8th Bn. Awards: M C Grave Reference I. A. 2. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Henry Marlyn Belcher and Jessie I. Belcher, of 60, Douglas Lodge, Vancouver.

DSCN8869_zpsfd643b3d.jpg

RUTHERFORD, THOMAS Rank: Lance Sergeant Service No: 141116 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 31 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 4th Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference I. A. 6. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of John and Jane A. Rutherford, of 25, Edwin St., Houghton-le-Spring, Co. Durham, England.

Rutherford_zpscfd7ac20.jpg

McKINNEY, CORNELIUS Rank: Company Sergeant Major Service No: 178305 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 27 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 1st Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference I. A. 20. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Croix de Guerre (Belgium). Son of James and Elizabeth McKinney, of 5, Lauriston St., Edinburgh. Born in Midlothian, Scotland.

McKinney_zps9cda45fc.jpg

FORBISTER, JOHN ALEXANDER Rank: Corporal Service No: 700214 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 27 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 16th Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference II. B. 29. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of John Forbister, of Minnewakan, Manitoba.

Forbister_zps99e323c7.jpg

TEGGIN, EDWARD THOMAS Rank: Private Service No: 730627 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 21 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry "D" Coy. 1st Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference II. B. 22. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Edward and Clara Teggin, of 25, Warncliffe Rd., London, Ontario.

Teggin_zpsf85e53b8.jpg

McLEAN, STEWART SMITH Rank: Lieutenant Date of Death: 30/09/1918 Age: 22 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 87th Bn. Awards: M C Grave Reference II. B. 20. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Peter and Christina McLean, of Campbellton, New Brunswick.

McLean_zps9b9d6294.jpg

HARTRY, ROY ANDREW Rank: Corporal Service No: 238208 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 20 Regiment/Service: Canadian Machine Gun Corps 1st Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference II. B. 15.Hartry_zps11a70052.jpg Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Richard and Isabella Hartry, of 431, St. Mark's St., Fort William, Ontario.

BARKER, SIDNEY BARNES Rank: Sergeant Service No: 177936 Date of Death: 30/09/1918 Age: 21 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 1st Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference II. B. 13. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of James William and Laura Barker, of Stroud, Gloucestershire, England.

Barker_zps274ec891.jpg

SCANE, ALBERT Le ROY Rank: Private Service No: 602348 Date of Death: 02/10/1918 Age: 21 Regiment/Service: Canadian Machine Gun Corps 1st Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference II. B. 10. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Harry L. and Bertha Scane, of 801A, College St., Toronto.Scane_zpsb0385edf.jpg

NEWNHAM, THOMAS CONRAD Rank: Sergeant Service No: 193135 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 23 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry No. 3. Coy. 13th Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference II. A. 1. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Thomas and Adela Newnham, of 39, Inwood Crescent, Brighton, England.

Newnham_zps9505b3a4.jpg

NICOL, CHARLES DONALD Rank: Lieutenant Date of Death: 29/09/1918 Age: 29 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 72nd Bn. Awards: D C M, M M Grave Reference II. A. 4. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Elizabeth and the late Thomas Nicol, of Dingwall, Ross-shire, Scotland.

LAWRENCE, ERNEST WILKINSON Rank: Captain Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 27 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 4th Bn. Awards: M C Grave Reference II. A. 13. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Henry Peter and Mary A. Lawrence, of Watford, Ontario.

Lawrence_zps43c85f4e.jpg

FAIRBAIRN, GILBERT Rank: Company Sergeant Major Service No: 748175 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Age: 34 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 14th Bn. Awards: D C M, M M Grave Reference II. A. 17. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Thomas and Maggie Black Fairbairn, of 5, Howlands Terrace, Hawick, Scotland.

Fairbairn_zps8f26365d.jpg

GAUDET, F Rank: Sergeant Service No: 23139 Date of Death: 01/10/1918 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 14th Bn. Awards: M M and Bar Grave Reference II. A. 38. Cemetery SANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Gaudet_zpsa45e2614.jpg

That's the list finished. 27 medal winners for 200 graves, is that unusual? Also, interesting to note how many of them were British born and then probably emigrated to Canada to start a new life.

hope it is of interest

mags

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mags,

Given the high level of bravery awards, did you notice if there was consecutive MM's of three or more? During our continuing Pilgrimage we have only witnessed one "trio" of MM's (Abbeville)

Excellent photos by the way; any special technique or just good light?

Steve

P.S Are French jets still flying from Sancourt? I had a few poor attempts framing the the Cross with a military jet

Hi Steve

My kids would laugh at the thought of me being very technical with a camera, I think I was lucky and had good light. I am getting better than when I first bought it. There are no more low flying jets as the air base at Epinal has been closed. Next time I pass by Sancourt I will stop and check the medals as I really can't remember

mags