Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

were 12 gauge shot guns used

shane

I understand your point about pigeons heading the wrong way, but I have seen homing pigeons fly very wide circles on being released before heading off in their proper direction and it's possible they were issued for this purpose on a 'just in case' basis, but opportunity never presented itself and the lack of a repeat mention lends credence to them being a waste of space in the trenches.

Did German pigeons have little black crosses on their wings to distinguish them from Allied pigeons then?

Hesketh-Prichard's view of the use of shotguns in trench warfare was probably fairly typical of British officers of the time:

"I was always very much afraid all through the war that, having started poison gas, the Germans might start using shotguns loaded with buckshot for work between the trenches. Had they done so, patrolling would have become a horrible business; but I suppose they were restrained by the fact that such weapons are not allowed by the Geneva Convention, or that the British Isles have such a supply of guns and cartridges that the advantage would not remain long upon their side. As it was, things were much more satisfactory, for there was plenty of excitement out in No Man's Land, what with machinegun bullets and rifle fire, without the added horror of a charge of small shot in the face."

Whether or not they actually were forbidden by any conventions or protocols, clearly influential folk - on both sides, from the German protest - believed they were for the majority of the duration.

Regards,

MikB

European shotguns were mostly of the double barrel break open type - 2 shots then reload........

United States shotguns were pump action with a 5 rd magazine tube (+1 in chamber for 6 rds) US shotguns could be "topped up" to

keep the magazine full

Also US shotguns of this period lacked a trigger disconnector allowing them to be "slam fired" - hold trigger down and keep stroking the pump

Gun will fire as round chambers. In this mode could dump the entire 6 rds in less than 3 seconds giving a hail of lead

Were British shotguns chambered for a 2 1/2 " lenght shell vs 2 3/4" in American ?