Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why was Allenby successful in the desert

armourersergeant

I cannot comment on the validity of Aaron Aaronsohn's journal entries.

Robert,

I am not sure what you mean by the above, however regarding the rest I feel that there’s a real danger of us getting out of sync. here

My line “It is difficult to imagine ‘ideological’ bias being at work in the case of these gentlemen” was a reference to FM Allenby and to Generals Macdonogh and Clayton, and to them only.

It was not meant as a ref to Sheffy, but was in fact rather by way of being a follow-up to what I understood you to have quoted from him viz “Traces of this bias are to be found in several historical assessments of Nili's work, which were determined by ideological views rather than professional intelligence criteria.”

There is no doubt that agenda play a part in the relaying of this story by certain parties. Indeed I will go so far as to say that Herzog’s book falls closer to the propaganda category than to that of the pure and objective history. Not so with Anthony Verrier’s book however, which is fully supported with references, copious notes etc.etc.

Which brings me back to the question;

if Nili’s work was of so little account, then why did it elicit such effusive praise from these hardened soldiers? Soldiers who were, let us not forget, so very well placed at the time in order for them to pass judgement.

Best regards

Michael D.R.

I cannot comment on the validity of Aaron Aaronsohn's journal entries.

Robert,

I am not sure what you mean by the above

Michael

I mean that I have no way of authenticating Aaronshohn's comments. His comments may be true. Or he may have exaggerated his contribution. Or he may have lied. I just don't know.

however regarding the rest I feel that there’s a real danger of us getting out of sync. here

You appear to feel very positively about Aaronsohn and the Nili. I respect this view. I simply wish to share an alternate view, as published in the literature. I don't hold any personal view one way or the other. I am interested to see the material that you have provided.

My line “It is difficult to imagine ‘ideological’ bias being at work in the case of these gentlemen” was a reference to FM Allenby and to Generals Macdonogh and Clayton, and to them only.

It was not meant as a ref to Sheffy

Be assured that I quite understood the context and direction of your response. I assumed it was not a reference to Sheffy.

Which brings me back to the question;

if Nili’s work was of so little account, then why did it elicit such effusive praise from these hardened soldiers? Soldiers who were, let us not forget, so very well placed at the time in order for them to pass judgement.

I don't know the answer to your question. All I know is that Sheffy also conducted a very thorough review. I do not hold that Sheffy's work is any better or more valid than Anthony Verrier's. But I do think it is proper to place on record that there is a difference of opinion. This is not meant in any way as a criticism.

Robert