Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas Truce 1914 card orders via GWF Conference

Kate Wills

Welcome to the Christmas card ordering thread for purchase at the GWF Conference.

The cards cost £4 per cellophane-wrapped pack of ten cards with envelopes.

To save you switching back to the initial Christmas card thread here is the announcement made there earlier today:

An order for 500 packs (10 per pack) has been placed, and we expect delivery of the first-ever GWF Christmas cards in mid-March, in time for the conference.

As you may imagine, the initial expense makes serious inroads into our finances, and we are anxious to recoup this as quickly as possible, and also minimimise the work and expense of distribution. To do this we wish to use the Conference as a hub for distribution; so, the first tranche of sales will be via the Conference.

We wish to encourage delegates to the conference not simply to buy some for themselves, but to take orders for members not attending. For instance, I am happy to take orders for fellow members of Northamptonshire WFA, and anyone in central Northampton. I'm sure many members are able to offer similar arrangements, and we would appreciate attendees registering their willingness to help in this way by placing their details on this thread, where they may be contacted by pm. From there we should be able to compile a list of orders for collection on the day.

If you are not attending the Conference, and cannot obtain cards from attendees DON'T PANIC!!

Once we have the cards we will be able to explore postage costs, and will announce these and ordering details on another dedicated thread.

A proof-copy will be available soon, so everyone will be able to view the complete end-product prior to purchase.

Once again we would like to express our thanks to Anne for bringing this idea to fruition.

Please shop early for Christmas for the good of the Forum!

19140001.JPG

So, with only 322 shopping days until Christmas, may I kick-off by offering to collect GWF Christmas card orders for collection at WFA meetings at the Ex-Service Club, Sheep Street, Northampton on the second Thursday of each month; and I can also deliver to your door if you are in walkable distance of central Northampton. You can pay via the options on the GWF donations link above (see top of page), or I can pay on your behalf so long as you promise to pay me on delivery.

You can pay on the day, but if you are paying in advance could you please pm me so I can keep the pre-paid orders under the counter for collection.

Edited by Kate Wills

WOW!! That was quick Biffo!

Who placed his order three minutes after I posted this thread.

That's the spirit!!

Roll up! Roll up!! Christmas will be upon us before we know it.

Not as yet tanks3.

We will shortly create a separate thread for postal ordering, as explained above:

If you are not attending the Conference, and cannot obtain cards from attendees DON'T PANIC!!

Once we have the cards we will be able to explore postage costs, and will announce these and ordering details on another dedicated thread.

Many thanks, and we look forward to sending you two packs later.

Will be ordering as soon as the the postal purchase details are announced.

Wonderful. I, also, will order when details are announced. Thank you.

Will be ordering as soon as the the postal purchase details are announced.

Me too, and well done to all involved in getting this done :thumbsup:

Kate, do you know if anyone from Northern Ireland will be attending the Conference and wouldn't mind bringing some back with them?

Anne

I will enquire of its Commander-in-Chief, Ulsterman Allan Curragh.

I will enquire of its Commander-in-Chief, Ulsterman Allan Curragh.

An excess of "l"s in Alan!

Kate, do you know if anyone from Northern Ireland will be attending the Conference and wouldn't mind bringing some back with them?

Anne

Not that I know of, Anne - although there is every chance we will be over in NI (perhaps in May)

Not that I know of, Anne - although there is every chance we will be over in NI (perhaps in May)

Not to worry Alan, I expect the newly privatised Royal Mail could do with some money!

Anne

• 4 weeks later...

Printing is underway. Please see instructions for purchase in post 1.

Pals will appreciate that we need to to receive the cards before we can finalise postage rates, and a means of distribution, so details for postal ordering will follow later.

In the meantime, here are images of the Forum's first-ever Christmas card:

Xmas_Truce_card_proof_artwork.jpg

Xmas_Truce_card_proof_inner.jpg

Kate,

Your plan rather screws up those of us who are not able to attend the meeting or know anyone who is. As one of the first to respond to the idea, and happy to pay postage, can I ask for a plaqn B please/

Printing is underway. Please see instructions for purchase in post 1.

Pals will appreciate that we need to to receive the cards before we can finalise postage rates, and a means of distribution, so details for postal ordering will follow later.

David, Thankyou for pledging an order.

I'll pick some up at the conference. Do I have to decide now how many I want or will you have plenty available?

Cheers Martin B

Herewith a firm order for six packs of cards - just tell me where to send the money

David

Crikey. 10 cards per pack - that's 60 cards. Keep me going for about 10 years.

We will decide the best postal distribution option when we meet at conference, and then members will be the first to know. I can certainly bring some back to Pompey for members who are local or likely to be in the vicinity in the following few weeks.

Keith

When you have postal arrangements, i will be in Scotland for 5 weeks so hope i could have some mailed while i am over.

Hazel

I'm happy to pick up any for Surrey based members who will not be at GWF Conference.

I will be at the Surrey WFA meeting in May & might even make the April meeting dependant on work; alternatively if you are relatively close to Esher I'm happy to deliver - PM me if you wish to take me up on this

Andy

Crikey. 10 cards per pack - that's 60 cards. Keep me going for about 10 years.

Great value indeed - but most people don't send these to themselves Steven!

I would certainly like a postal internet order option, if/when available