Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tommies Bar in Pozieres

KIRKY

:huh:

Anyone know the latest about this bar? Recent info is that it was closed?

I am bringing my father to The Somme on 24th and have told him so much about Tommies that it will be a great shame if it is shut.

Tony

I'm wondering if this is the place I visited about 6 years ago with Battlefront Tours ?. I'm taking my wife next year and would love to take her to lunch at the place we stopped at back then . It was a bar with a beer garden at the back of it , and further down the back was a heap of dug relics and artillery pieces and other WWI artifacts . Does this ring a bell with anyone ?.

Thanks .

Phil.

Although you ignored my last request for info, you did mention a memorial that one Frenchman has erected to the memory of the 1st AIF. Jist press

Kateydid & view the Trench

Mine host Dominique is most gracious, and will even pose with the odd ugly ocker!

Edited by bonza

Pat

Thankyou !!...Thats the place all'right . It is a wonderful treasuretrove , and a great place to have an ale or two after being up all night teaching a busload of Dutch tourists how to speak Aussie :D . I really look forward to visiting it again .

Ta .

Phil.

I last visited Le Tommys in May. I run an annual school trip to the Western Front and the pupils love to eat their lunch there. Apologies, I digress. Anyway I was told then that work would be starting end of 2004/ beginning 2005 on extending Le Tommys. It is going to be redeveloped with room to accomodate a lot more people for meals. (I can't remember how many but it was a lot) I was warned that we may have problems visiting there May 2005 with a large group if the work was incomplete. Apparently the superb exhibition in the back is also going to be improved. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mates,

does anybody knows iff tommy still has the duffelbag off the 13th ALH still hanging above his bar???

coo-ee

patrick

Patrick-yes it is still there. At least I seem to recall seeing it after a couple of Grand Biers a few weeks ago! :D

The latest news on the extensive refurbishments is that Dominic is working all hours opening up the side accomodation (location of museum of former owner) to create space for a new restaurant. This will then be followed by a full width extension to the garden and the creation of a 12 room hotel above!! The plans are currently residing on the cafe wall and whilst not quite "Hilton Pozieres" it is likely to be a development and a half. He may even think about employing some more staff to help him out!! ;)

cheers!

Jason

:( Hi

was there on Tuesday and the bag was there above the bar. Dominic has lost alot of weight and looks different!

Still the chips are best on Somme.

Tony

We had lunch at L'Tommy on the 27th and yes Dominic has lost a lot of weight. I heard that almost everything is for sale in the cafe to finance the new development. I for one wish him and his family all the best for the future.

Hi mates,

does anybody knows iff tommy still has the duffelbag off the 13th ALH still hanging above his bar???

coo-ee

patrick

As at September 2003

ooRoo

Patrick

post-12-1099702443.jpg

Pat mate,

youre a dinkum cobber, thanks for the pic. And hope to acure it and send it to the museum of the 13th. were it should be in its place i think.

coo-ee

patrick

G'day Patrick.

Please don't misunderstand my comments.

The kit bag at Tommies is a unique piece of Australiana. IMHO the vast majority of Aussies would not know that the 13th Lighthorse served in France. Seeing that kitbag so prominately displayed would help give the "Devils Own" the "Credit they deserve" as Mel would say. This would apply to all visitors to the Bar.

Although the bag would be well appreciated by Doug Hunter and the 13th Museum blokes, visitors, etc it would really only be 1 item among many, and would actually be seen by thousands of less people than is now the case. It is quite difficult to arrange a visit to the Bandianna Museum, and the vast majority of those making that visit would have a reasonable knowledge of the 13th's history already.

There is no guarantee that it will be retained on display by 'Tommy" & that point might influence your decision. It's your call, Cobber, but that's my thoughts!

Goodonyer

ooRoo

Pat

It's your call

Bit of a 'Matrix' moment there....think someone just altered the program...

Where'd that wall come from....??

Sorry Bonza - no internet access at work.

Chill out, man.

When I read this thread last night your last post was duplicated, so I was paging down, read your message, started reading the next one only to realise it was a copy of the one above, hence the Matrix reference (something about a cat walking past a door, as I recall...).

Jim

G'day Jim

Well, thanks for the reply.

I am afraid I am again guilty of misunderstanding something.

I still don't understand the Matrix, the Wall, the missing post or the cat.

Asking for clarification of something on another thread has had devastating effects

As you are obviously prepared to Put up, I will reciprocate & Shut up.

ooRoo

Pat

Bonza,

The Matrix is a sci-fi film with Keanu Reeves, but I think the reference is probably too complicated to explain if you haven't seen the film. The disappearance of the duplicate post kinda rendered my comment redundant anyway.

I'll get my coat...

:ph34r:

Asking for clarification of something on another thread has had devastating effects

Pat

If you mean the 'page's bottom' discussion.

No, it didn't have devastating effects. I think lots of us on this forum are pleased if someone asks for something to be explained because it saves us having to ask ourselves. Also, if we already know the answer we can feel knowledgeable.

This thread has been interesting and worrying. Everyone talks about Tommies Bar and I have never been. Thank you for the link, because now I've seen the pictures of it - only to find that it is to change.

Kate

Kate

That was only part of it.

Pat

Its too late baby, now its too late

KKK Katey, Bewdifull Katey,

You're the only GGG girl that I adore

When the mo moon shines on the co cowshed

I'll be waiting at the sh sh shish ouse door.

post-12-1100495304.jpg

Okay Pat,

point taking, when keeping it on the western front would it be satisfactory finding it back at the paschendaele memorial museum in zonnebeke??

As the mates also fought in nonnebosch as hotchkiss machine gun teams

duffelbag back in your corner mate?

:P

coo-ee

patrick

Patrick.

For me personally, that would be ideal.

Uncle Rupe Berriman was in that area, with a Hotchkiss, during 3rd Ypres.

His younger brother was with a MG Battalion in Polygon Wood and was killed when laying a barrage for the attack on Broodseinde. He is remembered on the Menin Gate.

But, its your call. Whatever you think is best.

Why coo-ee ? Dontcha know if you're coming or going

ooRoo

Pat