Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RIQUEVAL BRIDGE

DAVE PLATT

True, but it’s an interesting conundrum. Looking at how the emphasis changed from the RE  war diary that you quote, Chris, which would probably have been written shortly after the events described when there would still be some confusion, to when the citations were put together later makes me think Charlton and Corp Smith DCM* were the key figures in the capture of the bridge. That’s not to disparage Openshaw’s bravery in any way: he clearly played a big part in 137 brigade’s success  

Richard

7 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

Park on the light-coloured area opposite the cemetery and walk into the wood. You can't miss the bunkers. They are in the top right corner as you look at the aerial photo.

6 hours ago, Ancre1917 said:

Hello Chris

Thanks for your link to the bridge article.  I'd not seen the IWM video of the area before - it makes great viewing.  Do you know who shot it?  It seems to pick out Australians more than anything - even the artillery limbers look to be driven by them.

Just a point on who captured Riqueval Bridge: Openshaw's DCM citation doesn't actually mention the bridge as I read it, although it is referred to in the war diary extract you include.  His citation refers specifically to one of the footbridges, whereas Act. Capt. Charlton's DSO citation does mention a bridge directly.  I wonder did they both capture the bridge with Charlton and his company coming from the east  side and Openshaw and his men, having crossed on a footbridge, coming at it from the west or German side?  Usually, Charlton gets the credit: John Bourne, for example, reckons he has a modest claim to being the man who won the war (Who's Who in World War 1).  Or, is it just a matter of an officer getting precedence over an enlisted man?

Richard

Thanks Richard for your kind input.

2 hours ago, Chris_Baker said:

Unlikely that we will ever really know!

Thanks Chris for your kind input.