Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RIQUEVAL BRIDGE

DAVE PLATT

Hi All,

Took a little sunny day recce yesterday to the 1918 Hindenburg line at Bellicourt, looking at the British, German and American cemeteries and memorials in that area. Part of my trip was to visit the famous Riqueval bridge, this is where the famous photo of the troops sat on the St Quentin canal bank was taken.

The British 46th Division crossed the St Quentin Canal (defended by fortified machine gun positions), capturing 4200 German prisoners (out of a total for the army of 5300). Men of the 1/6th Battalion, the North Staffordshire Regiment, led by Captain A. H. Charlton, seized the Riqueval Bridge over the canal on 29 September before the Germans could fire the explosive charges. (from Wikipedia)

What a great visit and it was good to see the WFA memorial explaining the action.

We then went on to the famous tunnel that the Germans used as a 'floating barracks' with 32 barges chained together, looking down the tunnel was pretty spectacular.

Dave Platt
beaumounthamelview.com

Banking next to the bridge

Soldiers sat on the bank

The tunnel entrance the Germans used the 32 floating barges

Looking down the tunnel

post-67156-0-37660500-1390643288_thumb.j

post-67156-0-48623500-1390650550_thumb.j

post-67156-0-43966800-1390650590_thumb.j

Hi Rocketeer,

Nice pictures and thanks for posting. The Bellicourt tunnel was cleared by the AIF and my grandfather's pictures from October 1918 show the heavily defended canal tunnel entrance.

post-66620-0-35882700-1390689011_thumb.j post-66620-0-02831500-1390689015_thumb.j

post-66620-0-22279000-1390689013_thumb.j

Great pics Dave , thanks for posting!

Tony

Nice pictures! It is some years since I was there, but I recall (way off topic) that on the nearby road was a tug barge converted to a snack bar but which had the remains of a pantograph (hope that the right word) to connect with electric cables in the tunnel in the days when tugs were steam powered and could not steam in the tunnel.

Old Tom

Hi Rocketeer,

Nice pictures and thanks for posting. The Bellicourt tunnel was cleared by the AIF and my grandfather's pictures from October 1918 show the heavily defended canal tunnel entrance.

attachicon.gifBellicourt - Tunnel Entrance Later.jpg attachicon.gifBellicourt - Tunnel.jpg

Great pictures, I had to smile as nearly a 100 years later it doesn't seem to have changed that much. Awesome that your Grandfather took those pictures, did he get back ok?

Probably a bit late for Rocketeer now, but id anyone visits much of the defences can still be found. The doorway to the mg post, the mg port hole and the pill box on top of the embankment still there, shown on Dave's pic, can be seen in modern photo. Peter

post-2649-0-70360600-1391091901_thumb.jp

Hi Peter,

Good points thanks, I didn't see those defences but now you have pointed them out will have another look in detail when I go over again. Its only an hour away and quite a nice ride on the Rocket.

Dave

• 9 months later...

Mebu,

I was there last week and all the features in your photograph are easy to see, the bunker on the top being in very good condition. I was amazed to see how badly corroded the balustrade on Riqueval bridge was !

Mick

I always marvel at the picture of the soldiers crowded on the bank.

Judged by today's health & safety standards (when you see how steep that slope is), you'd think these men are unnecessarily risking life and limb. The fact that they can all sit/stand there looking so casual and unconcerned - makes you realise that, by contrast to the danger they have just been through, the precariousness of their 'perch' is trivial.

David

• 9 years later...

With my being from North Staffordshire I have long held an interest in Riqueval Bridge and the day the 46th North Midland Division and the 1/6 North Stafford’s in particular, broke the infamous Hindenburg Line on 29 September 1918 led by Capt Arthur Charlton.

I visited the ‘Bridge’ probably 30 years ago but access to the bridge at that time was rather restricted but I am planning to re-visit with friends following the 1st July commemoration’s at Thiepval.

QUESTION. Has any member of the forum visited Riqueval Bridge recently as I read somewhere that access has been improved to actually get onto the bridge itself and there is now even a car park. We would like to view the area from where the North Staffs attacked the canal that misty morning several wearing white life jackets that were reportedly ‘pinched’  from a cross channel ferry although that is probably unlikely given the troops would not have been aware of the impending action.

Any advice or information would be very welcome.

Thanks and best wishes to all.

Malcolm  (aka  Grandfather Joe Toy 286 Siege Battery RGA)

• Admin

I’d say car park is a bit of a euphemism. There is room to park a car or two. You can walk onto the bridge, but mid summer the foliage will be high and you won’t see that much. Photo taken early August last year.

image.jpeg

Thanks Michelle - much appreciated.  
Did you get access to the bridge and ground area immediately to the West of the bridge by road to the limited parking area or did you park on the main road and climb up onto the bridge to take your photos?
With it being such a historic point in the Great War, it is pity there isn’t a visitors centre but I suppose I’m biased and asking too much!

• Admin

We drove over the bridge and parked. A few years ago we visited in March and the visibility was much better. You can walk down to the canal and  the tunnel from a bit further up the road if I recall. Don’t forget to visit the 46 Div memorial close by! 

IMG_1024.jpeg

IMG_1025.jpeg

IMG_1026.jpeg

IMG_1027.jpeg

IMG_1028.jpeg

Michelle, you’re a star!  Again, many thanks!

• Admin

By La Baraque cemetery there used to be some concrete. Don’t know if it’s still there. 

Malcolm

When we’ve visited in the past, we’ve gone into the café across the road for a coffee having parked our car out of the way in their car/lorry park, and then crossed the road carefully to the bridge. You can walk up the lane behind the bridge, which was a German communication trench in September 1918. Looking to the left, you’ll see the ground over which 6 NSR advanced and up ahead the woods where they started.  Watch out for unexplored ordinance in the adjacent field: my grandson came across a shrapnel shell with its fuze still intact last year! The lane is wet and muddy, so good boots will be needed.

I wrote  something for our local rag in 2018 about the battle. If you pm me, I’ll send the originals drafts which the journalist used as his source at the time.

Richard

Michelle is correct,  in the trees opposite La Baraque cemetery is  a bunker with history.

A German command centre captured by the 1/5th South Staffs, it was used by 91st Field Ambulance and the Divisional Signals after being an interrogation centre of German prisoners. It was later bombed by German aircraft and many RAMC personnel  from this are buried in the adjacent cemetery. Also buried here are 2 Military Police, both named Lee, one of the ones shown in the photograph.

Peter

PS sorry cannot find my "now" colour photo. If ever anyone visits, would love a colour pic of above.

bellenglise.jpg

img273 Correction.jpg

Edited by mebu
PS

2 hours ago, mebu said:

Michelle is correct,  in the trees opposite La Baraque cemetery is  a bunker with history.

A German command centre captured by the 1/5th South Staffs, it was used by 91st Field Ambulance and the Divisional Signals after being an interrogation centre of German prisoners. It was later bombed by German aircraft and many RAMC personnel  from this are buried in the adjacent cemetery. Also buried here are 2 Military Police, both named Lee, one of the ones shown in the photograph.

Peter

PS sorry cannot find my "now" colour photo. If ever anyone visits, would love a colour pic of above.

bellenglise.jpg

img273 Correction.jpg

I've taken a number of tour groups to these bunkers, which always goes down well when discussing the defence in depth utilised by the Germans at this stage in the war. It's easy to miss them if you don't know where they are.

This map shows the location of La Baraque British Cemetery. Anyone know the rough location in the wood opposite where the captured German bunker referred to can be found?  Happy to take a colour photograph of the bunker and post here after we have visited early July 2024.  Thank to all who have contributed posts on this subject.

image.jpeg.7919b170391bf352c41529795ae1a46d.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Joe Toy said:

This map shows the location of La Baraque British Cemetery. Anyone know the rough location in the wood opposite where the captured German bunker referred to can be found?  Happy to take a colour photograph of the bunker and post here after we have visited early July 2024.  Thank to all who have contributed posts on this subject.

image.jpeg.7919b170391bf352c41529795ae1a46d.jpeg

Park on the light-coloured area opposite the cemetery and walk into the wood. You can't miss the bunkers. They are in the top right corner as you look at the aerial photo.

Where Ken says above.

There are many German constructions, and a few British, remaining in this area. Some are easy to spot, some are low-level and can easily be missed in grass and crops.

For full information on the locations of those still to be seen, get hold of "The Hindenburg Line" by Peter Oldham in the Pen and Sword series.

Hello Chris

Thanks for your link to the bridge article.  I'd not seen the IWM video of the area before - it makes great viewing.  Do you know who shot it?  It seems to pick out Australians more than anything - even the artillery limbers look to be driven by them.

Just a point on who captured Riqueval Bridge: Openshaw's DCM citation doesn't actually mention the bridge as I read it, although it is referred to in the war diary extract you include.  His citation refers specifically to one of the footbridges, whereas Act. Capt. Charlton's DSO citation does mention a bridge directly.  I wonder did they both capture the bridge with Charlton and his company coming from the east  side and Openshaw and his men, having crossed on a footbridge, coming at it from the west or German side?  Usually, Charlton gets the credit: John Bourne, for example, reckons he has a modest claim to being the man who won the war (Who's Who in World War 1).  Or, is it just a matter of an officer getting precedence over an enlisted man?

Richard